Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2002 Honda accord se wont stop honking and flashing lights inside and outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 2002 Honda accord se wont stop honking and flashing lights inside and outside

Ive been working on the honda for a couple days. I had left it sitting for about 2-3 months since I bought a new car. A friend wanted to buy and is willing to put the money down to fix it. When I stopped using the car the only problem was it needed a new transmission, but know every time I open or close the hood, trunk, or any door it starts flashing and honking. I took the horn relay out to stop the honking but it continues to flash. So far Ive disconnected the hood latch sensor, that didnt fix it, I got the battery tested, the battery is good I tried to get the codes but its not throwing any out even though I know of 3 codes from a couple months ago.

Was looking for someone that could help me whos had a similar problem please let me know
Old 12-04-2020, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 2002 Honda accord se wont stop honking and flashing lights inside and outside

Sounds like the alarm system won't deactivate.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2002 Honda accord se wont stop honking and flashing lights inside and outside

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
Sounds like the alarm system won't deactivate.
would you know how to deactivate it or fix it
Old 12-04-2020, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

A few methods to Reset that might work:

---1---Insert the ignition key in the Accord's driver-side door lock.

Turn the key to the unlock position.

Turn the key to the lock position.

Turn the key back to the unlock position. The alarm should now be disabled.

Start your Honda Accord's engine and allow the vehicle to run for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the Accord to reset the alarm. When you're done, you can shut off the Accord and arm the system as usual.

---2---
  1. Place the key in the ignition, and turn it slightly to the right. This is also known as position 2, in which the car is on but the engine is off. This gives power to the necessary components to allow this method of bypassing the alarm to work. When you turn the key the radio should work, and the dash lights should light up.
  2. Keep the key that way for ten minutes, maybe a little more. The theft system light should turn off, and the car can be started.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Clos1
would you know how to deactivate it or fix it
Sorry, no. Mine is a 94 with an aftermarket alarm system. But a couple of years ago my key fob unlocker failed and every time I opened the door the alarm went off. The local stereo shop got me a new fob and problem solved.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have to take it to a local aftermarket shop, even have the alarm taken off or have one of their guys come over to your place and do some off-the-clock work for you.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
A few methods to Reset that might work:

---1---Insert the ignition key in the Accord's driver-side door lock.

Turn the key to the unlock position.

Turn the key to the lock position.

Turn the key back to the unlock position. The alarm should now be disabled.

Start your Honda Accord's engine and allow the vehicle to run for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the Accord to reset the alarm. When you're done, you can shut off the Accord and arm the system as usual.

---2---
  1. Place the key in the ignition, and turn it slightly to the right. This is also known as position 2, in which the car is on but the engine is off. This gives power to the necessary components to allow this method of bypassing the alarm to work. When you turn the key the radio should work, and the dash lights should light up.
  2. Keep the key that way for ten minutes, maybe a little more. The theft system light should turn off, and the car can be started.

neither work and it’s still going off
Old 12-21-2022, 09:18 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Clos1
Ive been working on the honda for a couple days. I had left it sitting for about 2-3 months since I bought a new car. A friend wanted to buy and is willing to put the money down to fix it. When I stopped using the car the only problem was it needed a new transmission, but know every time I open or close the hood, trunk, or any door it starts flashing and honking. I took the horn relay out to stop the honking but it continues to flash. So far Ive disconnected the hood latch sensor, that didnt fix it, I got the battery tested, the battery is good I tried to get the codes but its not throwing any out even though I know of 3 codes from a couple months ago.

Was looking for someone that could help me whos had a similar problem please let me know

I was having the same problem for whoever is experiencing this if your clock, locks (unless key is in on position #2 or vehicle on) the windows don't work from master's window switch, the dome light isn't lighting up when door is open, alarm not working, check your passenger side dash fuse box look for fuse #13 it's labeled as clock but that fuse goes to a few other accessories as mentioned. My fuse kept blowing so I took my driver door panel out and turned out to have a short on the security indicator wire it was arking to ground, fixed it now brand new. If it keeps blowing out just place fuse in while you press the unlock on key fob or have someone unlock the driver door for you as soon as you replace it in order to disable the alarm in general.