Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 Accord no start with the key -when she doesnt want to-

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Accord no start with the key -when she doesnt want to-

Hey guys, been a bit since Ive been around but need a little more of you help.
My '90 Accord 5 speed manual, has been for over a year, having a no start issue. Every once in a while I will stop shut it off, do what I have to and then when I get back in it she wont start. Turn key on everything works fine but turn key to start and nothing. Then after some time She magically starts with no reason why she wouldnt or any real one way I got her to start. Last night it decided to act up and wouldnt start no matter how long I waited or held the key to start. Ended up push starting it to get home but wont start with the key.

#1 - clutch interlock. That is the top (brake light switch looking stitch) on the top of the clutch peddle assembly right.? The one closer to the floor is for the cruise control.? Can I pull the wires and jump the terminals to see if that is the issue.? Or is there a different way to test.?

#2 - Starter cut relay. Infront of the hood release, straight up, box with 4 wires coming out with the connecter next to it.? I had my hand up on it when I turned the key to start I could feel vibrations but what is the real way to test it.

From what I could gather by myself with the test light and phone camera was there was/ is no power going to the starter solenoid.
Everyone else I talk with about it keeps saying the distributor. I know they do go bad but what do I test on that, that has to do with starting. Has to be getting spark if it ran after push starting.
What else should I look at that may be causing this.? And ways to test whatever you may suspect also very PLEASE.?!!! I really need her to be reliable as I blew a head gasket in my truck. She is now my daily driver again (sooner then I wanted as the "Honda rot" behind the rear tires hasnt been fixed yet)
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 Accord no start with the key -when she doesnt want to-

Unbelievable......
Just went out to start pulling stuff out of her to start testing. Before I do I decide to try to start it. Starts right up.
Im at a loss with this car. I cant diagnose or try to anyway if its not acting up and I cant just make it act up as I have tried that and it wont. Can drive it 5 mins shut it off and will start, can drive it 3 days shut it off and it will start back up. Have to go somewhere, be by myself in the middle of nowhere with no tools and she wont start.
Any ideas besides a few gallons of gas and a flame.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

textbook ignition switch failing ... start contacts heat up and open up and when cooled start working again

it does help to know if its actually cranking or not tho
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 Accord no start with the key -when she doesnt want to-

No cranking, no clicking, no radio(think may be normal) no nothing with key turned to start. Key in on position radio works lights work.
I do have to open up the column cause I have an issue with the directional turning off the headlights at night real quick like a loose connection.
How do I test it.?? I do want to note if it makes any difference last night was cool, almost freezing out and in car. Today when it started it was like 300 degrees. I mention the actual temps cause I know when its hot in the car I have had main relay issues in the past & probably in future.