Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Swapping in a carburetor in my 96.. is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping in a carburetor in my 96.. is it possible?

Please no haters, just constructive criticism. While we all know pre 89 honda accords (well not all) but they had carburetors. Im just wondering, more like hypothesizing just how swappin in a carburetor would work, if it was possible. I dont plan on doing this or anything, but i recently helped a bud out with his 5.0 foxbody stang do this and the idea fascinates me. Information is much appreciated, the old carburated acccords were only 2 liters... and who knows how the intake man. would compare because thats obviously the whole necessity... But anyways i just thought it would be neat to bring up and see what people thought :D
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Swapping in a carburetor in my 96.. is it possible?

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
Please no haters, just constructive criticism. While we all know pre 89 honda accords (well not all) but they had carburetors. Im just wondering, more like hypothesizing just how swappin in a carburetor would work, if it was possible. I dont plan on doing this or anything, but i recently helped a bud out with his 5.0 foxbody stang do this and the idea fascinates me. Information is much appreciated, the old carburated acccords were only 2 liters... and who knows how the intake man. would compare because thats obviously the whole necessity... But anyways i just thought it would be neat to bring up and see what people thought :D
Truthfully, the prospects of a project like this evoke shivers down my spine (and not the fun type mind you)
You have to remember that the carburetors brought to you by Honda do not reflect the same philosophy as those available for Detroit iron. These were electronic controlled carburetors which share no more in common than having a float bowl. They were also fully integrated into an engine management system.
if you're looking to go full retro '60's style, I'd think along the lines of a Webber Side draft carburetor. It's independently tunable. But that still leaves what to do about the ignition system, fuel delivery system and oh yes, the fabricating of all that stuff.

Personally, I don't see any appreciable gains to be had, other than the unique aspect of it.

P