Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Fuel Milage info wanted

Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Milage info wanted

I wanted to know all the tricks plus some things that might work to try for getting more mpg.
1991 Accord EX 5 speed tires 205/65/15 stock motor. 5w-30w oil used. and i'm getting 30 to 35 mpg on texas hwys & 28 mpg city and i guess city has not that many stop lights and most 55 mph every where here. I know most basics but wanted to see if there was anything people have tried and seen that they work. i took stock tires of and went to size above and increased my mpg. Is there a cam that would work to increase mpg not for racing though or better spark producer that would help. I buy octane boost and add it to 87 octane, it works on keeping carbon low plus better burn. just list any and all tips that have been seen to work or might work thxs.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Milage info wanted

Interesting that a tire size change to a wider tire (assuming wider than stock) would increase your MPG. It may be a 'trick', let me explain:

I went from a 185/70/14 to a 205/50/16 and my MPG decreased by 2-3 points. I chose a tire that was almost identical in circumference to the stock tire. The 205 series is slightly smaller in circumference. Meaning that over a tank of gas, I am adding more miles than stock. I went form getting 450~ miles a tank to 405~. I think that the wider tire is causing more friction on the road, plus the slightly smaller diameter is causing the engine to run at higher RPM, thus using more gas.

I think that the taller tire you chose has not only reduced the RPM to achieve the same speeds as before, but is also telling your speedometer that you are driving faster than you would normally be so you are in turn driving at a slower speed. Its an assumption, but seems logical.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jabontke; 01-31-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer errors
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It seem like that's the best you could get for your car. I would assume you have a manual tranny. It's worse in an auto. You could remove the seats and other stuffs to reduce mass and go carbon fiber hood and trunk.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally get 39 hwy 28 in town..ppl never belive me but idc. Msd wires ngk iridium aem intake hollow cat..otherwise stock. Try to help efficincy..dont know for sure but ill take thr 6 extra mpg over when I got the car (94 accord ex vtec)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are getting pretty close to peak fuel efficiency from your Accord. You sound like you are edging into dangerous territory to get higher fuel efficiency. Google 'hypermiling'. Those people are crazy :p
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my dad does the hypermiling. calls his car the Hypermilage Mobile. Your car is a manual so that works to your advantage. When going down hills pop it in neutral and coast as far as you can, while you are still rolling pop the clutch and start driving again. instead of driving up to stop lights, do the same thing. Do it as much as you can. If you only do it every once and a while it isn't going to give you that much extra mpg. My dad has am 84 sprint. Uglier than hell but he can get anywhere from 45 to 65 mpg. When it isn't freezing out, he gets roughly 55. Then again he lives in Soldotna Ak and there are some tall hills. You have to make it a driving style if you want it to work. Good luck!

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by qhiggy
My dad has am 84 sprint. Uglier than hell but he can get anywhere from 45 to 65 mpg. When it isn't freezing out, he gets roughly 55.
Wow, apparently, this car is #3 on the list of TOP fuel efficient cars since 1984
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...s-chevy-sprint
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he has two, one really ugly tanish. and one really ugly red one. Both are running. He got the tan for 500 and the red for 300. He has the red one for parts or just incase something happened to his tan one. I used to ride in it alot and it isnt as bad as the magazine makes it sound. i like it lol, he just replaced the heater core in it the other day and is in good functioning condition. looks like ****, but great for hypermilage.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Trial User

i recently drove from Killeen to San Antonio around 166 miles @ 80 miles an hour no stops and used 5.5 gallons. I figure that by the pump reading of 17 gallons is a total fill up. I will also try those different tire suggestions to see if stop tires do the mileage difference like said. I will do the wires and plugs plus try to run hotter spark in the plug wires. Yes its a standard 5 speed. I'm new to honda also drove domestics and they are way different in changeing parts since they arent rotoar motors.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is something I have been wanting to try for awhile and I was wondering if anyone else has gotten into it - The whole Water For Gas idea / Browns HHO Electrolyzer / Stanley Meyer Water Fuel Cell.

Here is one of the basic sites but there is all kinds of stuff out there related to these ideas
http://www.water4gasstore.com/

Anybody try any of these yet?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jabontke
Interesting that a tire size change to a wider tire (assuming wider than stock) would increase your MPG. It may be a 'trick', let me explain:

I went from a 185/70/14 to a 205/50/16 and my MPG decreased by 2-3 points. I chose a tire that was almost identical in circumference to the stock tire. The 205 series is slightly smaller in circumference. Meaning that over a tank of gas, I am adding more miles than stock. I went form getting 450~ miles a tank to 405~...
jabontke - It may be the difference of total weight and/or centripetal force measurement difference - meaning the circular force your engine has to use in order get to the same speed it used to. So to increase the rim size you need a lighter tire and rim as well to keep the same mpg.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Viper
I wanted to know all the tricks plus some things that might work to try for getting more mpg.
1991 Accord EX 5 speed tires 205/65/15 stock motor. 5w-30w oil used. and i'm getting 30 to 35 mpg on texas hwys & 28 mpg city and i guess city has not that many stop lights and most 55 mph every where here. I know most basics but wanted to see if there was anything people have tried and seen that they work. i took stock tires of and went to size above and increased my mpg. Is there a cam that would work to increase mpg not for racing though or better spark producer that would help. I buy octane boost and add it to 87 octane, it works on keeping carbon low plus better burn. just list any and all tips that have been seen to work or might work thxs.
If you are getting those numbers you claim you are getting id say your doing everything right.
I doubt there are any other tricks you can do to increase it any at all.
Its a 22 year old car. Be happy you are getting that great of mileage from it today
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda333
jabontke - It may be the difference of total weight and/or centripetal force measurement difference - meaning the circular force your engine has to use in order get to the same speed it used to. So to increase the rim size you need a lighter tire and rim as well to keep the same mpg.
Thanks for the info! I will check that out.