Notices
Hawaii & Asia-Pacific Hawaiian / Pacific Islands

Hawaii Celebrities

Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hawaii Celebrities

Kelly Hu

Never met her, and don't know her. I recall as a high school student watching the Miss Teen USA pageant, and how shock to find out she was crown the winner. Looking at her expression, so was she. After all, you never expect a "short" girl of Chinese-Hawaiian ancestry to win, against the traditional candidate of tall and blonde. Everyone in Hawaii was proud. The sad thing was many loosers in High School started to claim they have "dated" her (in your (our) dreams, buddy) in the past. And as youngsters, we all fall for it at first. And soon realized it was all B.S. It's sad how people would like to tarnish her image, to make themselves look like the big man on campus. She graduated from HS, the same year as I did, which make her hitting the Big 40. She has aged very well.

Currently, Kelly Hu is on ABC primetime - In Case of Emergency.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/sc....html

Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Old Member

Default Re: Hawaii Celebrities (GoLowDrew)

Herman Wedemeyer

Before he was "Duke" on Hawaii Five-O, he was "Squirmin Herman." One of the best College Football player in the WWII era. 1946 Sugar Bowl. 1947 Oil Bowl. 1948 All-Star Game. If your (great) grandfather followed College Football, he would know a Hawaiian name "Squirman Herman" from St. Mary Colege (CA). St. Mary was a Powerhouse for college sports back in the 1940s. Herman is still the most famous athlete in school history.

#11 Herman Wedemeyer. Sugar Bowl Jan 1946.

I met Herman in 1992. Actually I worked for him. He was the VP of Marketing, and I was a Management Trainee. Hey.......That's the guy on Hawaii Five-O!!!! He wasn't at work much, I've heard he was often at the golf course "doing marketing-promotional work." He always had a smile when he saw you, with a head nod and a soft "hello." But I don't think he really knew my name (or knew I was really part of his department.) When we had an event and needed a few celebrities, Herman would take care of that. He had his contacts. I guess that's the time spent on the golf course.

Herman was good looking man, even for his age (65+ then), and strong. He once had a Japanese masseuse came in the office one day to work on him. The musseuse weight about 175lbs+ and walked on Herman's back. You have to be strong and in good shape to take that.

When Herman would tell one of his stories, everyone would gather around. I wish I could remember at least one of his stories, but I don't. I left the company in 1994, and heard that he pass away in 1999 due to a heart problem.

Book 'em Duke!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Old Member

Jason Scott Lee

There seems to be two "Jason Scott Lee" in Hollywood now, but he was the "first."

Jason Scott Lee's most famous role was staring in Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story. IMO, he didn't really look like Bruce Lee with his Chinese-Hawaiian mix. Perhaps there was it was his last name. Perhaps there's a shortage (almost non-existence) of young Asian male actors.

I met Jason Scott Lee on the movie set of Picture Bride. He was just happened to be home in Hawaii, and they wanted him to make an appearance. Our company provided trucks and vans for the film crew. So that's why I was there. At the end of the day, he needed a ride back home, and the film managers found out we live in the same city only a few blocks apart. So I was to drive him home. Jason Scott Lee was "famous" back in early 1990 when Dragon was released. So he was hounded even on the set for autographs, girls, etc. So here was I, riding in the same car with a celebrity. I tried not to be "like them." And talk about normal things. His friends and cars. Like what regular guys would talk about. Bottom line: Celebrities are just like us.

Jason Scott Lee seems to have faded from the spot light after staring in a few movies in the 1990s, but he is really still active in many roles today, including voices for Lilo and Stitch 1 & 2.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Old Member

GoLowDrew

Can I mentioned me?

GLD was an uncredited extra in the movie Picture Bride.

The project started out to be a much smaller project. Something for PBS maybe. Then the Hollywood backers kicked in and made sure to add some recognizable names from Japan and the U.S. American actors such as Cary Tagawa, Tamlyn Tomita, and Jason Scott Lee (see above). Therefore it became a box office movie.

My story goes like this. Our company provided vans and trucks for the production crew (see above). Japanese actor Akira Takayama came by to check out the Toyota T-100 truck. He never seen anything that big from Toyota back then. He asked if I wanted to be in the movie. I said no. He insisted. He told the director that I should be in the movie. The director said OK. So Makeup team grab some dirt and throw it on my good jeans. I signed the forms. There were flashes of stardom or being discovered.

I came back for 3 more days to shoot all the parts with the extras. Unlike the stars, we would sit in the hot sun all day 10-12 hrs just to "work" for 20 mins. The actual take could be just 1 minute. In total, I was in about 40 mins of film. The end result - All but 3 secs were edited out. And they left my name out of the credits. They included names of people (extras) that had all of their scenes deleted. Maybe they thought I was them.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Old Member

Barack Obama

Born and raised in Hawaii, Obama graduated from Punahou School in Honolulu (1979). It's the most prestigest (and expensive) private school in Hawaii. I recall reading that 97% of their graduates goes to college. The rest are doing something like military services, etc. Bottom line, the best school money can buy. I attened Punahou School one summer just before my Senior year. I was blown away by their teaching methods. It almost like their instructor was from a different planet. What I learned that summer, I still carry (and use) today. A direct relation from that class.

I read that Obama did stop by Punahou on a visit to talk to students. You heard the saying "you can be President of the United States someday" when you were young. It always seem like a pipe dream. What a feeling it must be to actually see someone who is from your backyard getting a real chance to make it come true.

Obama was #23 before Michael Jordan. Punahou did win the State Championship in 1979.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Old Member

Ferrari 308 GTS

Cars can be a Celebrity too. Many would have to agree that Magnum P.I. made this car into an icon. Just think the producers actually wanted a Porsche 928, but Porsche refuse to customize their car to fit Tomas Magnum's 6'4" frame. The seat cushion on the 308 GTS was removed on the cars used in filming. There were actually three different 308 GTS models used. 308 GTS, 308 GTSi, and 308 GTS Quattrovalvole. Of course one car was the the stunt car. One was used for stills and closeups. Then there were kit cars that were actually fiberglass bodied Pontiac Fieros where they crash, or blown them up.

I have heard CBS give a Ferrari 308 GTS to Tom Selleck. The same way the General Lee was given to Bo Duke. Web search also mentioned that "Rick" Larry Manetti, bought and still own one of the original earlier 308 GTS used for the show. And another is in England somewhere. I'm sure there were many 308s used during the 8 year run of Magnum P.I.

With the show being off the air for 20 years, I'm sure we'll see a Magnum P.I. Ferrari 308 GTS on the Barrett-Jackson auction block soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jason Scott Lee

There seems to be two "Jason Scott Lee" in Hollywood now, but he was the "first."

Jason Scott Lee's most famous role was staring in Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story. IMO, he didn't really look like Bruce Lee with his Chinese-Hawaiian mix. Perhaps there was it was his last name. Perhaps there's a shortage (almost non-existence) of young Asian male actors.

I met Jason Scott Lee on the movie set of Picture Bride. He was just happened to be home in Hawaii, and they wanted him to make an appearance. Our company provided trucks and vans for the film crew. So that's why I was there. At the end of the day, he needed a ride back home, and the film managers found out we live in the same city only a few blocks apart. So I was to drive him home. Jason Scott Lee was "famous" back in early 1990 when Dragon was released. So he was hounded even on the set for autographs, girls, etc. So here was I, riding in the same car with a celebrity. I tried not to be "like them." And talk about normal things. His friends and cars. Like what regular guys would talk about. Bottom line: Celebrities are just like us.

Jason Scott Lee seems to have faded from the spot light after staring in a few movies in the 1990s, but he is really still active in many roles today, including voices for Lilo and Stitch 1 & 2.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wasn't he in ***** of Fury too?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Old Member

Default Re: Hawaii Celebrities (RoyBoy808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoyBoy808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wasn't he in ***** of Fury too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. He's in the movie. I looked it up.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes. He's in the movie. I looked it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i knew it
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Old Member

Bette Midler

Being in the Navy, her parents moved to Honolulu so Bette Midler grew up in Aiea, and graduated from Radford High School. She had said living in Hawaii was the worst time in her life. Being a "white" red hair girl probably did not made things easy. She was constantly picked on, alone, and didn't have many friends - as she stated. Bette also mentioned that she would never wanted to go back. She left Hawaii for NY a year or so after highschool. The rest is history.

I don't doubt that. Meaning kids and be mean, and some are just a$$holes. I understand that. Everyone's experience is different. However, I would point out that there should be lots of (mainland) kids in public schools from Navy's Pearl Harbor or Marines' Camp Smith or even Army's Fort Shafter (Note: Moanalua HS is not that old, so I doubt it was built). So there should be many military kids that were similar to her, to be her friend. Being a kid is hard sometimes.

Bette Midler is currently performing in Caesars Palace Las Vegas.

One of her best movies IMO is The Rose. An old movie that launch her into stardom.

http://www.blockbuster.com/cat...dMore
Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Case

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/omi0int-1
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Born in Hawaii

Mark Dacascos

Jason Momoa

Nicole Kidman

Timothy Olyphant

Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (mister x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mister x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Case

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mr. AOL

"Steve Case grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii, showing an early entrepreneurial bent. He graduated from the prestigious Punahou School (Class of 1976) and attended Central Union Church. His first significant innovations were with Froggies Used Books and Records in Waikiki, where he developed and applied innovative marketing techniques to greatly grow the company sales."

He must know Obama since they were at Punahou the same time. So Punahou, Central Union Church, so he must used to live not far from me in Makiki. And Froggies????? I used to buy comics there. Wow...

Modified by GoLowDrew at 10:23 AM 8/29/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Old Member

Default Re: (GoLowDrew)

Eddie Aikau

Eddie Would Go. No wave was too big for Eddie Aikau. Champion big wave surfer became a lifeguard at the same beach that would make other surfers weak. Not one life was lost on Eddie's watch as a lifeguard.

Eddie was selected to be part of the Hokulea Voyage (sailing a ancient design Hawaiian canoe using traditional navigation methods) to Tahiti. That evening, the canoe overturned in the Molokai Channel (rough waters). The entire crew was thrown overboard. They waited until morning for help. No help came. Eddie Aikau believe they were not far from shore. To took his surf board and a life vest. Eddie never put on the life vest because it would slow him down - being an excellent swimmer. 5 mins after Eddie left his crew, they saw the life vest floating by. One of the crew member (hanging on hope) like to believe Eddie let it go because it had slow him down. You know Eddie. With hope, they chanted "Go Eddie Go." The crew was found a few hours later. Eddie would lost at sea.

In his memory, the annual Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational is held each year at his beach, Waimea.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Old Member

Deborah Lin

Model and Actress Deborah Lin is engaged to actor James Gandolfini - Sopranos. I don't believe she have any major staring roles, but in some movies, you'll see her as an extra in the background. The last time I saw Deborah Lin was 12 years ago at our 10th High school reunion. She had already "gone to Hollywood," and just simply look stunning. Wow, she was one of us? I first met her in Elementary School because I had a crush on her best friend in the 5th grade. Of course, there was no interest in the geeky skinning boy. We rolled in different circles, so I can't say I know her well. Other than she was smart. Taking classes in High School I wouldn't dare to touch.

Congratulations.

Last edited by GoLowDrew; 12-05-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Old Member

Thomas Beatie (Tracy LaGondino)

Former Hawaii Kai resident, Thomas Beatie was born a female. She was a fair beauty who took part in the local beauty pageants in her native island of Hawaii. Some time into her journey of life, she decided to change her sex to become Thomas Beatie. Now legally a Man, he is most famous for being the first man to be pregnant and to give birth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6244878&page=1
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RoyBoy808
Wasn't he in ***** of Fury too?
Speaking of ***** Of Fury, I believe Maggie Q is from Honolulu also. I'm not so sure though since Wikipedia isn't really known as being a trust worthy source.

From wikipedia:

Early life

Maggie Q was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to an American father of Polish, French Canadian and Irish descent, and a Vietnamese mother.[1][2] Her parents met while her father was stationed in Vietnam. Maggie is the youngest of five children. She has two sisters and two half-siblings from her mother's previous marriage in Vietnam. After graduating from Mililani High School she traveled to Japan and Hong Kong to become a fashion model. In 1998 she got her first role in a Chinese-language TV series.[citation needed]

Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White95SiHB
Speaking of ***** Of Fury, I believe Maggie Q is from Honolulu also. I'm not so sure though since Wikipedia isn't really known as being a trust worthy source.

From wikipedia:

Early life

Maggie Q was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to an American father of Polish, French Canadian and Irish descent, and a Vietnamese mother.[1][2] Her parents met while her father was stationed in Vietnam. Maggie is the youngest of five children. She has two sisters and two half-siblings from her mother's previous marriage in Vietnam. After graduating from Mililani High School she traveled to Japan and Hong Kong to become a fashion model. In 1998 she got her first role in a Chinese-language TV series.[citation needed]

wow mean i never knew that....grrr.....millilani high....lmao nah nah nah thanks for the update man, the hawaii section is slowing down
Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Barack Obama

Born and raised in Hawaii, Obama graduated from Punahou School in Honolulu (1979). It's the most prestigest (and expensive) private school in Hawaii. I recall reading that 97% of their graduates goes to college. The rest are doing something like military services, etc. Bottom line, the best school money can buy. I attened Punahou School one summer just before my Senior year. I was blown away by their teaching methods. It almost like their instructor was from a different planet. What I learned that summer, I still carry (and use) today. A direct relation from that class.

I read that Obama did stop by Punahou on a visit to talk to students. You heard the saying "you can be President of the United States someday" when you were young. It always seem like a pipe dream. What a feeling it must be to actually see someone who is from your backyard getting a real chance to make it come true.

Obama was #23 before Michael Jordan. Punahou did win the State Championship in 1979.
yea punahou is expensive....and now to mention he is the president elect its pretty nutz knowing someone born in hawaii is going to be president....although born here, illinois (was it illinois? i forget ) seems to be claiming him lol
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Old Member

although born here, illinois (was it illinois? i forget ) seems to be claiming him lol
I over heard one guy (here on the mainland) said at a small dinner restaurant, "We finally got a Brother as a President."

I wanted to say, he is MY Brother, before he was yours.

This lead to the next person. Jesus Salud.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...ts/story1.html

One of the most celebrated fighter during the 1980s was Jesus Salud. He was so successful that he moved to the mainland (San Deigo) to continue his success. And he was claimed by so many that his formal professional introduction goes like this (no editing at all):

From San Deigo California. Originally from the Phillipines. Weighing in at XXXXXX, Three time WBCXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX Champion, XXXX, XXXX It's the Hawaiian Punch!!!!!!"

At the end, I'm not sure where this guy was really from. Great fighter. Everyone wanted claim Jesus Salud.

Last edited by GoLowDrew; 12-15-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thomas Beatie (Tracy LaGondino)

Former Hawaii Kai resident, Thomas Beatie was born a female. She was a fair beauty who took part in the local beauty pageants in her native island of Hawaii. Some time into her journey of life, she decided to change her sex to become Thomas Beatie. Now legally a Man, he is most famous for being the first man to be pregnant and to give birth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6244878&page=1

.....yea i flipped to oprah while they were showing her...his....her...or i guess his miss teen hawaii pictures and i was like wow whos that? then they showed the pregnant pictures, my first reaction was "whhyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!?" lol, but its understandable i guess, some people just dont feel comfortable where they're at....
Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Old Member

.....yea i flipped to oprah while they were showing her...his....her...or i guess his miss teen hawaii pictures and i was like wow whos that? then they showed the pregnant pictures, my first reaction was "whhyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!?" lol,
My comment is based on opinion, not fact.

It's like saying if a father don't give his daughter attention, she will be a *****, **** star, or stripper. In LaGondino's story, his mother was a smokin hot blonde haole. So he took some of her genes. Parents got divorce. His father "push" him into being beautiful, sexy, fashion, modeling, pageants, etc. So maybe this is some kind of permanent rebellion that have set in.

I respect gays/lesbians with their own thing. This is just my opinion on how some people go that way.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My comment is based on opinion, not fact.

It's like saying if a father don't give his daughter attention, she will be a *****, **** star, or stripper. In LaGondino's story, his mother was a smokin hot blonde haole. So he took some of her genes. Parents got divorce. His father "push" him into being beautiful, sexy, fashion, modeling, pageants, etc. So maybe this is some kind of permanent rebellion that have set in.

I respect gays/lesbians with their own thing. This is just my opinion on how some people go that way.
i agree, i have nothing against gays, lesbians, butchies, mahus or whatever you want to call them, they are still people, and i respect that....but that pregnant thing kinda was a shock and awe, even the homophobics can agree with that one i think......
Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just remembered, my mom met Jack Lord several years before I was born. I remember as a little boy seeing some of the pictures she took with him.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sarah Wayne Callies aka Sara Tancredi from Prison Break

Callies moved to Honolulu, Hawaii with her family when she was one. Throughout her youth, she expressed an interest in acting through participating in various school plays at Punahou School.
While her parents are professors at the University of Hawaii, Manoa, Callies did not follow in their footsteps. Instead, she chose to pursue a career in acting. After graduating from high school, she entered Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. In conjunction with her studies, she continued her involvement in theatre.[1] She continued her education at Denver's National Theater Conservatory where she obtained her Master of Fine Arts degree in 2002.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawaii Celebrities