Official Home Improvement - Page 51 - Honda-Tech


Official Home Improvement

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1251
Honda-Tech Member
 
eMpAtHy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: so cal, USA
Posts: 4,516
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
So I went to the local, family owned/operated store, and got awesome service and honest opinions. Then I went to Pacifc Sales, which is basically big box, and they've got major promos

At Pacific Sales, buy 3 qualifying Bosch kitchen appliances and get 15% off UMRP on top of the 10% rebate Bosch is offering. So I priced out the Bosch 800 Induction cooktop, the 800 Combo Oven, and the 500 series Dishwasher for $5,585. At the local store it'd just be the 10% rebate, and I'd feel guilty asking to price match. I guess I should give them a shot to compete with Pacific Sales.

Also, I'm tempted to go upmarket and get a Wolf Induction Stove, which is slashed from $3600 to $2500--but requires a 50A circuit. My breakers are rated at 40A. I'm gonna check actual wire sizes and see if they can accomodate a 50A breaker, but if not I'll probably go with the Bosch 800 (because it's 40A required). The features and controls on the Wolf are so much better though...

And here's a philosophical question: would you guys buy a refurb major app (aka fridge) from Sears Outlet?

In other news, I've got a plumber coming to replace my toilets and my master bath shower stuff. Toto Drakes for the Water Closets, but should I go cheap on the shower or go Grohe? I am hesitant to go Grohe because existing bath finishes are brass, and it's hard to find brass finishes these days. Cheap stuff would be a few hundo cheaper.

And then next week is the landscape architect. Bout to spend 50% of Sol's life savings on home improvement, which is fun until I realize I could buy 4 shitty project cars with this kind of money.
wonder how reliable those new induction ranges/cooktops are since there are more electronics involved. gas ranges are really basic and either work or don't work. however, i see the benefits of induction cooking. you can find a good amount of used wolf/viking/etc ranged on CL for 50% of the original cost.

home improvement lasts for 10+ years. project cars might start at 5k, but quickly end up double of what you originally purchased said car for

for your faucets and such, i would only swap if you're remodeling the entire bathroom. the difference between grohe/hans grohe and moen/delta/etc aren't big enough to justify the huge premium, imho. also, if you let your wife use grohe, she never gonna grohe back.
eMpAtHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #1252
White Trash Wish Cash
 
rino924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,355
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
you literally just gave money to hitler
rino924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #1253
GLD's Expert
 
Tennobanzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 408
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
tranformer plugs into standard outlet, lights wire into transformer, it's extremely simple
I see. I think in my case the wires would be seen so it would be ugly
Tennobanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #1254
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Off THE 60, Between THE 605 and THE 57
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpAtHy View Post
wonder how reliable those new induction ranges/cooktops are since there are more electronics involved. gas ranges are really basic and either work or don't work. however, i see the benefits of induction cooking. you can find a good amount of used wolf/viking/etc ranged on CL for 50% of the original cost.

home improvement lasts for 10+ years. project cars might start at 5k, but quickly end up double of what you originally purchased said car for

for your faucets and such, i would only swap if you're remodeling the entire bathroom. the difference between grohe/hans grohe and moen/delta/etc aren't big enough to justify the huge premium, imho. also, if you let your wife use grohe, she never gonna grohe back.
Oh and that's another advantage of the Wolf, 3-year full mfr's warranty on the range vs. Bosch's 1-year.

FWIW I think the major componentry between all the induction stoves are made by only a couple of OEM's, so paying the Miele/Wolf/Gaggenau premium is for superficial reasons, but the 3 year warranty might justify the extra 500 bucks for the Wolf.

Yeah I think I'll maybe go midline and get Kohler stuff for the bathroom. Hopefully my plumber can source at a good price, or I guess I could just cop from amazon. I really need to learn how to solder copper tubing.
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #1255
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Off THE 60, Between THE 605 and THE 57
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rota92 View Post
Wood not refurb fridge

7 year ice maker warranty or nuffin

I'd give the mom and pop shop a shot at price matching, shows you weren't a complete window shopper, you just want to save a grand.
I'm even willing to pay a little extra because I know this shop has a good rep for facilitating service calls and product support, but I wonder if they'll be able to get close.
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #1256
Honda-Tech Member
 
eMpAtHy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: so cal, USA
Posts: 4,516
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

from my experience, contractors get a small 5-10% discount at home depot, but Amazon usually has better prices.
eMpAtHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #1257
put title here
 
b_ack51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hilliard, OH, USA
Posts: 953
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Landscape guy is coming by Sunday to make the yard pretty.


Told him, easy maintenance, plants that keep leaves throughout the year and can take sunlight. Do not care what they are, just as long as I'm not spending 2 weeks of sols pay. And no flowers as I don't want bees up in my yard. **** bees.

May even throw in some big trees, who knows if I'll have time.
b_ack51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #1258
aka DaZman69!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 34
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpAtHy View Post
from my experience, contractors get a small 5-10% discount at home depot, but Amazon usually has better prices.
I'm in the highest tier of discounts from bid room, and usually the 5% off I get for having a home depot card exceeds the discount from the bid room.

Paint I get 20% off, but that's by far the best discount.

I shop on amazon and home depot, A LOT, and over the last 6-12 months, I honestly am finding better pricing at home depot for most stuff.

More and more stuff I'm finding amazon does not have the best prices, where as it used to be pretty difficult to beat.

I think they raised prices for PRIME items to cover the increased cost of 1 day or same day shipping, but they increased the cost on all PRIME items regardless of your area, just so it would still look like this hyper fast shipping was no extra charge
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #1259
aka DaZman69!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 34
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
So I went to the local, family owned/operated store, and got awesome service and honest opinions. Then I went to Pacifc Sales, which is basically big box, and they've got major promos

At Pacific Sales, buy 3 qualifying Bosch kitchen appliances and get 15% off UMRP on top of the 10% rebate Bosch is offering. So I priced out the Bosch 800 Induction cooktop, the 800 Combo Oven, and the 500 series Dishwasher for $5,585. At the local store it'd just be the 10% rebate, and I'd feel guilty asking to price match. I guess I should give them a shot to compete with Pacific Sales.

Also, I'm tempted to go upmarket and get a Wolf Induction Stove, which is slashed from $3600 to $2500--but requires a 50A circuit. My breakers are rated at 40A. I'm gonna check actual wire sizes and see if they can accomodate a 50A breaker, but if not I'll probably go with the Bosch 800 (because it's 40A required). The features and controls on the Wolf are so much better though...

And here's a philosophical question: would you guys buy a refurb major app (aka fridge) from Sears Outlet?

In other news, I've got a plumber coming to replace my toilets and my master bath shower stuff. Toto Drakes for the Water Closets, but should I go cheap on the shower or go Grohe? I am hesitant to go Grohe because existing bath finishes are brass, and it's hard to find brass finishes these days. Cheap stuff would be a few hundo cheaper.

And then next week is the landscape architect. Bout to spend 50% of Sol's life savings on home improvement, which is fun until I realize I could buy 4 shitty project cars with this kind of money.
Unless I have so much money I don't know what to do with I would go with japanese for any appliance, except for the oven. Must have double oven with massive convection fan, I've never seen a jap oven do convection well.

Fridge, I have no idea what the fuss is about with 5-10k fridges. I've exposed to them semi-frequently. My in laws have an $8k sub-zero, and I prefer using a $1500 samsung. Sure their fridge looks ******* spectacular, but there isn't much to an insulated box that stays cold.

Induction cooktop - seriously they are all the same, it's just a piece of glass that gets hot in certain spots. The only thing that matters on these is the controls, and it does not seem to matter how much you spend. If you go with all glass top with touch controls, triple check how they function. They can be so fustrating that you will consider buying a new one. Same with dishwashers that have the controls on the top because they want to look shnazzy with nothing displayed on the front.

Dishwasher - don't test/analyze enough to comment on performance/brand/value

Sears outlet - sucks a big one, my dad turned me onto sears outlet like it's some big secret for the people "in the know." Well once I was actually "in the know" and started cross shopping sears outlet, I realized they are not that cheap at all or a good deal. If you find the same model appliance that is sold new, compare the prices, I dare ya. Hell I found stuff that was more expensive at sears outlet than it was new at sears. The outlet priced it a few months prior, and they aren't current with pricing, just the origional msrp.
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #1260
Honda-Tech Member
 
MidnightS14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rocket City, AL
Posts: 30
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Does anyone have experience installing a Schluter Kerdi Shower kit? Looks like that is the easiest way to build a shower now days without going prefab shower pan. These kits pretty DIY friendly?

Thinking about building a 32x60 shower in my master. Originally I wanted 40x60, but the difference between the two did not seem that significant when I roughed it out. The extra room will be well put toward Master closet space.
MidnightS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #1261
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Off THE 60, Between THE 605 and THE 57
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Boo, bosch 800 combo oven doesn't fit in my cut out. I may have to break up the Bosch Party with a Kitchenaid combo oven.

Also, I haven't checked wire ga from my breaker to the kitchen, but it's a 40A breaker. I'm assuming that wire size behind that breaker is 8 ga. Someone who understands electricity help me understand if 8 GA can carry a 50 A circuit if I switch the breakers to 50. Have no idea of what kind of wire type/jacket type...I suppose that means I should assume lowest temp?
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #1262
aka DaZman69!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 34
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rota92 View Post
daz are you working a "real" job still or doing property management full time?
My former full time salary job was property management, did the ol start a company with your skillset thing
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #1263
gaping gaps
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 296
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
Boo, bosch 800 combo oven doesn't fit in my cut out. I may have to break up the Bosch Party with a Kitchenaid combo oven.

Also, I haven't checked wire ga from my breaker to the kitchen, but it's a 40A breaker. I'm assuming that wire size behind that breaker is 8 ga. Someone who understands electricity help me understand if 8 GA can carry a 50 A circuit if I switch the breakers to 50. Have no idea of what kind of wire type/jacket type...I suppose that means I should assume lowest temp?
I'm worried about cut out sizes currently

My double ovens just came in after the 4 week lead time. They're replacing a microwave/oven combo and I'm sure that there will be work involved and after realizing it weighs something like 365lbs I'm not even gonna mess with it

so for now there is a HUGE box in the middle of my kitchen
90hatch94dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #1264
gaping gaps
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 296
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbrothers View Post
Huge box? Close your legs bruh
huge box for that huge bbc sup
90hatch94dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #1265
Botched thread poll
 
BIGBLOCKEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: THE bay area
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
Boo, bosch 800 combo oven doesn't fit in my cut out. I may have to break up the Bosch Party with a Kitchenaid combo oven.

Also, I haven't checked wire ga from my breaker to the kitchen, but it's a 40A breaker. I'm assuming that wire size behind that breaker is 8 ga. Someone who understands electricity help me understand if 8 GA can carry a 50 A circuit if I switch the breakers to 50. Have no idea of what kind of wire type/jacket type...I suppose that means I should assume lowest temp?

They got charts for all that stuff man, and it looks to me like you'll have a 6ga change out in your future...

Ampacity Charts
Attached Images
 
BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #1266
Botched thread poll
 
BIGBLOCKEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: THE bay area
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbrothers View Post
@bigblock help me run gas to my kitchen

Lol Sorry I'm too expensive :-p. Just research correct fittings/piping, buy a cheap pipe threader, a bottle of big blue (leak detector to spray on all fittings) and go to town.

Inb4 5 o'clock news "man in Vallejo blows up neighborhood doing unpermitted natural gas line work."
BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #1267
Botched thread poll
 
BIGBLOCKEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: THE bay area
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

I appreciate the gesture but I was told by a trusted dog pro to not get the dog till after a kid cause dog might forever resent the kid. Still at those advanced window shopping stages.

Wife is like "we're getting a boxer though". :-/
BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #1268
Botched thread poll
 
BIGBLOCKEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: THE bay area
Posts: 2,165
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbrothers View Post
I got the number for a very good boxer breeder if you are interested
Please don't get banned, so I can find you on here when I'm ready to finally get a doge.
BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #1269
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Off THE 60, Between THE 605 and THE 57
Posts: 9,633
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLOCKEK View Post
They got charts for all that stuff man, and it looks to me like you'll have a 6ga change out in your future...

Ampacity Charts
enh **** it, gonna go with the 40A bosch.
bad-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #1270
something gnarly
 
5SpdH22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 580
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
Boo, bosch 800 combo oven doesn't fit in my cut out. I may have to break up the Bosch Party with a Kitchenaid combo oven.

Also, I haven't checked wire ga from my breaker to the kitchen, but it's a 40A breaker. I'm assuming that wire size behind that breaker is 8 ga. Someone who understands electricity help me understand if 8 GA can carry a 50 A circuit if I switch the breakers to 50. Have no idea of what kind of wire type/jacket type...I suppose that means I should assume lowest temp?
Basically if it is 100A or less, you should be using 60C, otherwise 75C is fine (this goes for both national and chicago electrical codes). I do this stuff for a living so I actually feel 100% confident in an answer for once.

There are exceptions if the equipment is specifically listed for 75C but I very highly doubt a stove manufacturer would bother with that.
5SpdH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #1271
It Wasn't Me!
 
someone else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the Wagon...In the gym. WA
Posts: 2,240
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Finally got around to finishing up the flooring in the house today. Cap and bad style carpet install and new vinyl in the entry and lower landing. Now we just need to finish up the trim and figure out what we want to do with the rail.

Was a great excuse to buy a bunch of power tools I'd been holding off on.

Feeling that carpet install in my knees and hands today though.


someone else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #1272
aka DaZman69!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 34
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
Basically if it is 100A or less, you should be using 60C, otherwise 75C is fine (this goes for both national and chicago electrical codes). I do this stuff for a living so I actually feel 100% confident in an answer for once.

There are exceptions if the equipment is specifically listed for 75C but I very highly doubt a stove manufacturer would bother with that.
Does the device get temperature rated? I thought it was the wiring.

If the wire is undersized, it creates resistance, which creates heat, which is why I thought the wiring and it's connections gets the temp rating to determine maximum amperage.

Isn't 8 gauge wiring on a 40 amp 220v circuit way oversized? I would think code would just need 12 gauge. (1x 12gauge per 20amp phase?)

I'm asking because I don't know, not questioning your knowledge.
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #1273
something gnarly
 
5SpdH22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 580
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Yea the terminals on devices can be rated too. I've seen panelboards with terminals rated for 75 degrees. never seen a rating on small devices or appliances though.

40A at 220V single phase is 8800 watts, or 4400 watts per phase. each phase is 110V so 4400/110 = 40A per phase.
5SpdH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #1274
something gnarly
 
5SpdH22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 580
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

^srs

I've always had gas stoves other than a cheap apartment in college. soo much better.
5SpdH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:14 AM   #1275
gaping gaps
 
90hatch94dsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 296
Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Anyone have an attached apartment? I want to eventually finish the loft in my garage and it would be perfect for airBNB etc.

But I don't know if I want to deal with people.
90hatch94dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introduction jeff@chaotic Introduce Yourself 0 03-15-2017 08:49 AM
Better for house resale - full hardwoods or carpet in bedrooms? Splat General Discussion and Debate 46 09-21-2016 08:24 PM
improving handling SeanK325 Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 25 07-08-2010 01:31 PM
Extremely low Gas mileage :( kingpen Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 9 08-31-2002 09:27 PM
Truechoice suspension packages? xMetal Acura Integra Type-R 9 08-17-2001 03:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:59 AM.