New California Smog Test? - Honda-Tech


New California Smog Test?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 36
Default New California Smog Test?

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a smog test in California recently, and what was your experience like? I assume most people here on HT get their smog done at a shady center. California passed a law back in 2010 which would make illegal smogs more difficult to do, and if caught stricter penalties would be enforced. So it's been 2 years since and I was wondering is it more difficult to pass smog (even a hot smog)? is it even possible to pass a car w/ swapped motor now?

The last time i got a smog was this time last year. Being new to my area, I just went to a local smog center and ask to test my 91 CRX w/ ZC motor. He seemed reluctant but did a pretest for me anyways. He saw that I had a different motor/tranny and a few other mods and told me I would fail, which I already knew. So I showed off some cash, thinking that would take care of things. But he didn't have any of it. Finally after some persuading, he gave me a number to a guy that would pass my car. I called the guy, and finally got my car to pass. But the whole process was very troublesome, expensive, and made me thing I wasn't going to ever drive my car again.

The first smog technician had told me that all the smog centers would be upgrading to new computers by 2013, and that there would be no way of cheating these new computers. Does anyone know if this is true?
4everYoungCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
98cdmej6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fort collins, co
Posts: 253
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everYoungCRX View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a smog test in California recently, and what was your experience like? I assume most people here on HT get their smog done at a shady center. California passed a law back in 2010 which would make illegal smogs more difficult to do, and if caught stricter penalties would be enforced. ?
whoaaaa were would we be with out you
98cdmej6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA, USA
Posts: 6,423
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Is it really that hard to put together a car legally? I mean...****, you have a 91 chassis. ANY car motor 91 or newer could be put in there.
jbpnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 36
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpnoman View Post
Is it really that hard to put together a car legally? I mean...****, you have a 91 chassis. ANY car motor 91 or newer could be put in there.
With cars roughly 20 year old, sold over and over again, striped and gutted, then put together again by different owners in their own backyards, it's more difficult than you think. But then I haven't been tuning cars for very long so maybe it's only difficult for the newer guys.

This is from Import Tuner. It's kinda dated (published 2006).

California Engine Swap Guidelines
1. The engine must be from the same year or newer vehicle. For example, if the car is a 1999 Civic, the engine must be from a 1999 or newer car.

2. The engine can be larger than the original, but it cannot be from a heavy-duty vehicle, unless the vehicle was equipped with one from the factory.

3. The engine and chassis must have all of their original emissions components in place and functioning properly. However, mixing and matching emissions parts from different vehicles is generally not allowed. As such it's up to the reff to decide what needs to be there. A quick way to see what you need there is to look at the sticker under the hood. It will list all the emissions equipment that came on the car.

4. A federally certified engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally equipped with a California certified engine


Link: http://www.importtuner.com/newsstand...ap_guidelines/
4everYoungCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
I like to party
iTrader: (1)
 
2LEM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yay Area, CA
Posts: 4,151
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Hot Smogs are for chumps, real enthusiasts go exempt.
2LEM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
I like to party
iTrader: (1)
 
2LEM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yay Area, CA
Posts: 4,151
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.htm

That's all you get. I'm not saying any more.
2LEM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Occupy GDD
 
Alex_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 717
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

OP is shady
Alex_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
 
leoaa777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yer boat be mine ARR
Posts: 1,543
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Easy Instant fix: bomb California to the ground
leoaa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
 
98cdmej6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fort collins, co
Posts: 253
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everYoungCRX View Post
With cars roughly 20 year old, sold over and over again, striped and gutted, then put together again by different owners in their own backyards, it's more difficult than you think. But then I haven't been tuning cars for very long so maybe it's only difficult for the newer guys.

This is from Import Tuner. It's kinda dated (published 2006).

California Engine Swap Guidelines
1. The engine must be from the same year or newer vehicle. For example, if the car is a 1999 Civic, the engine must be from a 1999 or newer car.

2. The engine can be larger than the original, but it cannot be from a heavy-duty vehicle, unless the vehicle was equipped with one from the factory.

3. The engine and chassis must have all of their original emissions components in place and functioning properly. However, mixing and matching emissions parts from different vehicles is generally not allowed. As such it's up to the reff to decide what needs to be there. A quick way to see what you need there is to look at the sticker under the hood. It will list all the emissions equipment that came on the car.

4. A federally certified engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally equipped with a California certified engine


Link: http://www.importtuner.com/newsstand...ap_guidelines/
soooooo you cant figure how to follow FOUR EFING STEPS

lol@ import tuner citation....and from 2006!

cali residents, didnt smog laws just get easier? like just a sniffer test er something?
98cdmej6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 36
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Anyone else have trouble passing smog?

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe.../CBOLetter.pdf
4everYoungCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
slowly blowing brothers
iTrader: (1)
 
solbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Erf
Posts: 4,429
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

what does "star" mean?
solbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
 
civic08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

what does smog mean
civic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
been there done that
iTrader: (1)
 
doood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 11,849
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

smog is for suckers
doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Honda-Tech Member
 
m_shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 2,396
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.htm

That's all you get. I'm not saying any more.
Diesel civic?
m_shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
ekb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 2,707
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

if your car has a swap that originally never came in that chassis u will have to go to a BAR station and past that to get a sticker saying your motor is cali legal. without that sticker smog stations will not smog a car with a diff engine
ekb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member
 
EL Vap133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 26,477
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cdmej6 View Post
soooooo you cant figure how to follow FOUR EFING STEPS

lol@ import tuner citation....and from 2006!

cali residents, didnt smog laws just get easier? like just a sniffer test er something?
Some people don't want to spend the extraordinary amount of cash to have it run legally.
EL Vap133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Reborn_
 
Reborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,142
Default Re: New California Smog Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cdmej6 View Post
soooooo you cant figure how to follow FOUR EFING STEPS

lol@ import tuner citation....and from 2006!

cali residents, didnt smog laws just get easier? like just a sniffer test er something?
That's what I've heard from word of mouth. Would love confirmation because I have a primary o2 CEL and I would love to not waste 200$ for a new sensor if they are no longer doing a visual. I'm due for smog in July.
Reborn is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 Civic Si with B16A - Problems with passing Smog trainman41 Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) 11 03-19-2014 11:09 PM
Vacuum hoses.... drunkenmaster Acura Integra 4 04-07-2010 01:04 PM
All of you CA non-CARB-turbo-kitted-JDM-engine-swapped-Honda drivers are screwed... confusedJDMvwGTI General Discussion and Debate 40 02-28-2010 10:44 AM
Engine Swap H22 for Accord Vs. Accord F22b1 Vtec w/ Turbo or supercharge whtaccordrcr Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 11 04-01-2004 03:45 AM
One fucked up day at the smog refs. i hate california South Bay Surfer General Discussion and Debate 42 12-06-2002 10:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:22 AM.