Notices

White smoke issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Icon2 White smoke issue.

Yesterday, I had a run in with some very thick, dense white smoke. I drove the car normally about 20 miles, shut it down and went about my business for a few hours. Came back out to it and it started up just fine. Then I proceeded to back out of the driveway, as soon as I got out of reverse and into first, the car began to bog and sputter. Got about 40 feet down the road, and it just died. Took a few minutes to get it started again, but it finally did - and managed to just get back into the driveway before dying again. But as I was backing up, white smoke was POURING out of the exhaust, like nothing I've seen before.

I was low on gas...but no lower than I usually run it. I figured I had just almost ran it out and my gauge was a liar...so I added 2 gallons of fresh gas that was in my friend's garage. After a bit of cranking, it started again. Idle was crap, white smoke was still very bad. It started to clear up and idle better after about 2 - 3 minutes, then I started to rev on it and it poured more smoke out. Eventually, after enough time/revving, it slowly started to stop smoking. It cleared up completely after I held it on my 2 step for 15-20 seconds a few times. Drove it home without a hitch, filled it up completely with new gas and haven't had any trouble since.

Few things to note:
-It was pouring rain all day. Gas cap/door were closed/sealed tight.
-Oil looks fine, not milky at all. Switched to T5 Synthetic Blend Rotella 10w-30 about 100 miles before this happened from 15-40 regular Rotella.
-Lost about 3/4s of a quart of oil sometime between the oil change, and the day after this happened.
-No air bubbles or anything in the coolant.
-Coolant level was still completely full.
-Compression test was within 10psi on all cylinders.

My question is...what caused this, and should I be on the look out for more symptoms? Since this happened, the car will sometimes hesitate on the transition to boost on low/medium loads. But the car hasn't smoked at all since then.

Are my turbo seals going bad?
Did I just get some shitty gas/water in the tank?
I'm stumped. Headgasket and everything else seems fine.

Relevant specs:
Stock F22B2, basic 57 trim log mani setup. Street tuned on 12psi.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: White smoke issue.

[QUOTE=Aradin;47780977]

so I added 2 gallons of fresh gas that was in my friend's garage.[/QUOTE ]

Conclusion - Fuel stored in friends garage is always fresh.

Seriously, you just forced your engine burn all the water and crap that you had at bottom of your tank.
Remove your fuel rail and you will spot /rusty/ water droplets sitting inside top of your injectors in tiny screens that are fitted from top.

If I am wrong let us know what was the cause of this oddity. Thanks and sorry for bad English.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows your coolant level? Has it dropped? Is your turbo coolant cooled as well? White smoke could be oil leaking into exhaust but usually only starts smoking when exhaust gets hot. Sputtering + White smoke = coolant flooding the cylinders but theres alot of factors here... Car is turbo and I guess tuned.. Any CELs? Is your vacuum still between 25-18? Info on setup/motor/build would help.

Aaron
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Forgot all about this thread. Car has been running perfect since this happened. Just figured it was water in the tank.