Notices

Water/Air Intercooler Mixture

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:10 AM
Jimmy Kudo

Default Water/Air Intercooler Mixture

What is the best mixture for an Water/Air Intercooler?

Old 08-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already asked this question do a search under my name
Old 08-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Jimmy Kudo

Default Re: (Sinner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've already asked this question do a search under my name</TD></TR></TABLE>

I looked
Thats not giving me adequate information.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Water/Air Intercooler Mixture (Jimmy Kudo)

Distilled H2O

or even better...

Distilled H2O with a resevoir packed with Ice

.... answer might seem a little simple and not quite what you were looking for but it is still the correct answer.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Jimmy Kudo

Default Re: Water/Air Intercooler Mixture (dasher)

Can I ask why distilled water is used?

Does a mixture of distilled water/ethylene glycol take heat away better than 100% pure distilled water?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:03 AM

distilled water is pure water which has a higher thermoconductivity than tap water(because of the trace minerals found present).

Water has a higher thermoconductivity than Propylene Glycol... the only reasons you use it in the radiator is because of the anticorrosive and lubricant nature and to raise the boiling point elevation/ lower the freezing point depression.

Here is another trick which would also work with an air/water as does with a radiator ... drop 1-2 drops of liquid soap in the fluid to break the surface tension.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Jimmy Kudo

Default Re: Water/Air Intercooler Mixture (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">distilled water is pure water which has a higher thermoconductivity than tap water(because of the trace minerals found present).

Water has a higher thermoconductivity than Propylene Glycol... the only reasons you use it in the radiator is because of the anticorrosive and lubricant nature and to raise the boiling point elevation/ lower the freezing point depression.

Here is another trick which would also work with an air/water as does with a radiator ... drop 1-2 drops of liquid soap in the fluid to break the surface tension.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But I said Ethylene glycol is that the same to what you said? (Propylene Glycol)

Your starting to hurt my brain what do you mean by this? (Drop 1-2 drops of liquid soap in the fluid to break the surface tension. )

<FONT COLOR="red"> What does that do? In other word that has the same affect of adding Propylene Glycol to an engines cooling fluid? </FONT>

Old 08-21-2004, 08:23 AM

Ethylene glycol and Propylene glycol are both used in radiators for the same reasons and have very similar qualities between the two.

drop 1-2 small drops of liquid hand soap in you radiator or a/w resevoir and it will break the surface tension in the water. Less surface tension means greater aluminum- water contact inside the radiator/intercooler on the molecular level... greater contact means higher thermoconductivity!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy Kudo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In other word that has the same affect of adding Propylene Glycol to an engines cooling fluid?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

no...completly different effect.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just use water some people say use water + wetter water and some say use water + alchole and some like to through a little bit of antifreeze in it just to keep the water from corroding the alumium. any TY/CY forum will have really good info on it since they have water intercooler stock.

Nick
Old 08-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what would be a good mixture that can get to temp below zero??
Old 08-21-2004, 01:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just use water some people say use water + wetter water and some say use water + alchole and some like to through a little bit of antifreeze in it just to keep the water from corroding the alumium. any TY/CY forum will have really good info on it since they have water intercooler stock.

Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not going to corrode the aluminum

Mixing the distilled water degrades and it loses its maximun performance.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would be a good mixture that can get to temp below zero??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not with a regular water/air /radiator setup not below zero.

Only refrigerant cooled heat exchanger setups will do that.