Notices

valve spring pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 valve spring pressure

I have a build that is almost complete..it's going to to be a track car and and take lots of abuse...the motor is built and gonna be making the most most power that my precision 6266 will put out..my question is, wut kind of seat pressure do I need for rele high boost..I currently have skunk2 pro series valve springs, supertech valves and skunk2 ti retainers..will those springs alone be sufficient enough for 30 + psi of boost? ::Or would i need sum shims for the springs to create more spring pressure... i don't wanna drop a valve under high boost.thanks guys
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: valve spring pressure

You will be fine
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured I would be ok..I've heard a couple ppl speak about creating more spring pressure, but haven't been able to find anything about it on the web rele..kind of a grey area
Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Drop a valve because of high boost pressure? You do realize spring pressure has everything to do with RPMs and camshaft profiles and NOTHING to do with power adders right? You select the springs based on the camshaft - NOT because you have a Turbo.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that...but boost puts strain on parts..boost pushing against valves that are open can push it back just enough to separate it from the keeper.. I'm running gsr cams with those pro springs so I should have plenty of spring...just seen sum boosted guys drop valves with aftermarket springs with a low rev limit..but I'm sure there were other factors as to why they dropped like incorrect installation.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by xjdmjunkiex
I understand that...but boost puts strain on parts..boost pushing against valves that are open can push it back just enough to separate it from the keeper.. I'm running gsr cams with those pro springs so I should have plenty of spring...just seen sum boosted guys drop valves with aftermarket springs with a low rev limit..but I'm sure there were other factors as to why they dropped like incorrect installation.
Actually, that is THE factor. You don't need to worry about spring pressure on a turbocharged car. Using high spring seat pressures with stock cams is completely unnecessary. But in essence, yes you will be fine.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the clearity