Notices

Using dipstick tube for turbo drain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (Slater)

yup i also think that the dipstick tube is too small to drain fast enough. i use 1/2" oil drain hose on my setup careful not to have sharp 90 degree bends.

is there a way to increase the size of the dipstick tube?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (turb)

yup i also think that the dipstick tube is too small to drain fast enough. i use 1/2" oil drain hose on my setup careful not to have sharp 90 degree bends.
Update: I measured the ID of the dipstick tube tonight with my trusty digital calipers - 0.41" ID. That's actually bigger than I thought (almost 1/2" ID).

Also, it appears that an "average" turbo drain would be about the right height to use the dipstick. You would have to install it pretty damn near the bottom of the dipstick tube which would leave very little room for error. The only problem is that there would be some sharp angle action going on - right from the turbo to the dipstick, and another sharp 90 from the T to the dipstick.

- Slater

[Modified by Slater, 9:25 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 05:44 PM

seems like it would be kind of hard to work on with the radiator in the car too. But when you put put your oil dipstick back in, theres a restrictor that forces the stick into a certain position, wouldnt this choke the oil supply!?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (UberTeg)

Really? Where is the restrictor? Is it inside the tube?

Got a pic or anything?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:29 PM

stick your dipstick in 90 degrees off, when u reach a certain point, it will start to turn into the correct location, go try it
Old 02-22-2003, 01:25 AM

hmmm...i've never really noticed the restrictor before....

i think you can hook up a T down the middle of the dipstick tube and and try to maintain the stock height and then connect the oil return hose to that T. that way there won't be any sharp 90 degree bends on the oil return hose. donwside is, you have to cut the dipstick tube in half and cut some more depending on the T's height and there is the 90 degree bend on the T itself..

is there a T that kinda looks like a Y or something like the NOS fogger system where the T is sloping on one side then that'll be perfect.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:37 PM

i think you can hook up a T down the middle of the dipstick tube and and try to maintain the stock height and then connect the oil return hose to that T. that way there won't be any sharp 90 degree bends on the oil return hose. donwside is, you have to cut the dipstick tube in half and cut some more depending on the T's height and there is the 90 degree bend on the T itself..
Yeah, that's what we're talking about doing. You cut the dipstick tube in half, and remove a small section near the bottom. Then replace that small section with a T and hook the drain line to the T.

This is what HKS instructs when using their Miata turbo kits. My idea was if it was good enough for HKS and the Miata boys, it should work for us too.

- Slater
Old 02-22-2003, 06:14 PM

The dipstick tube is not large enough to adequately drain your turbo..it will back up into the turbo and start bypassing the seals and into you turbine housing and will smoke profusely...Even with -8(which is nearly twice as big a diameter as your honda dipstick tube which is about equivalent to a -4) I have had problems with insufficient drainback.
I include -10 return lines on my turbo kits and my Drag Truck with a T72 uses a -12 return line.
Someone just posted recently about how they were having issues with a -8 not being big enough...take the time to pull you pan and have a proper -10 bung welded on...its cheap insurance..
Hope that helps..

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-22-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (SuperT)

I would think the dipstick itself is going to block the oil returning to the pan also and cannot be good.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (Farnsrocket)

I would think the dipstick itself is going to block the oil returning to the pan also and cannot be good.
Dip stick gets removed and capped off with this mod. Read from the brginning of the thread for all of the information.

- Slater
Old 02-23-2003, 08:46 AM

Whoops! I gotcha now.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:40 PM

Yeah, that's what we're talking about doing. You cut the dipstick tube in half, and remove a small section near the bottom. Then replace that small section with a T and hook the drain line to the T.

This is what HKS instructs when using their Miata turbo kits. My idea was if it was good enough for HKS and the Miata boys, it should work for us too.

- Slater
DOH! i thought there were no cutting involved on the original post..guess i wasn't reading carefully hehe
Old 02-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a note... Everyone seems to think that since hks does this on the miata that it's right, or a better way of doing it. The reason they do this is because you can't just drop the oil pan on a miata to install an oil return fitting. The crossmemeber is in the way of the pan. You either drop the entire front crossmember, or pull the motor to take off the pan. This, my friends, is why they came up with this way. Luckily, none of us drive miatas and don't have to put up with bullshit ways of doing turbo systems....
Old 02-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Stu
New User

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (tony1)

The Flyin Miatia guys use the return line into the oil pan method just like we do. Only they don't take it off the car, they just run mineral water through it for a couple of minutes and let it dry out. Very respectable shop. www.flyinmiata.com
Old 02-23-2003, 07:38 PM

The reason they do this is because you can't just drop the oil pan on a miata to install an oil return fitting. The crossmemeber is in the way of the pan.
Thats the sort of bullshit i'd expect from ford/mazda

[Modified by UberTeg, 5:01 AM 2/24/2003]
Old 02-23-2003, 07:58 PM

THe the s ort of bullshit i'd expect from ford/mazda
Bahaha, tell me about it. If you've never replaced the plugs on the late 80/early90's 2.3L distributorless engines then you don't know what you're missing!

- Slater
Old 02-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Just a note... Everyone seems to think that since hks does this on the miata that it's right, or a better way of doing it. The reason they do this is because you can't just drop the oil pan on a miata to install an oil return fitting. The crossmemeber is in the way of the pan. You either drop the entire front crossmember, or pull the motor to take off the pan. This, my friends, is why they came up with this way. Luckily, none of us drive miatas and don't have to put up with bullshit ways of doing turbo systems....
Ah, I see now.

No, I never said it was better or right. I just thought it was interesting that HKS came up with that particular solution, and it may be an alternative method for lazy people or ghetto junkyard FI setups hehe ;0)

But I agree that it's not the best way - dropping the pan is. It's not like it's hard to do it the right way.

But I'm glad our cars are easier to work on than Miatas. Now MR2s - those are fun!

- Slater
Old 02-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slater, if u need something welded, let me know, one of my guys can weld it up for you, i remember u from a while back...
Old 02-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (FFgeoff)

just a little input... the 2002 bmw 330 supercharger has the oil return line drained into the dip stick tube...
Old 02-23-2003, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Using dipstick tube for turbo drain? (Farnsrocket)

I don't think this will work very well with a B series motor. It's bad enough getting a straight down shot to the oil pan from the turbo now, I can't imagine connecting it about 3 or 4 inches higher on the block. Plus, -10AN to whatever the dip stick tube is (-4AN?) seems wrong.
yeah the dip stick tube seems like it's going to be a little small for an oil return
also the point farnsrocket makes about the dipstick being higher than the turbo is gonna be a problem too.
making the gravity drain system work with a normal SS line setup is hard enough. think about trying to run that up high to the dip stick