Notices

Turbonetics turbo as part of an eBay kit: Real or Ruse?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics turbo as part of an eBay kit: Real or Ruse?

I know I am doing it cheap and I know im doing it wrong ...
only question i have is for someone that has got a kit from fastwayracer kits

T3 T4 T04E Turbo Kit RAM Horn w Turbonetics Turbo EF EG EK Da DC2 B16 B18 B16A | eBay

is it really 321 stainless thats worth a crap?
and it the turbonetics turbo actually "new"?

im just putting it on and running the 7psi for about 2 months then will do hondata and internals and will upgrade bov and wastegate

and before someone says use the search bar.. i tried and everything just said they are junk (which i know ) and the cast iron cracks but does the ram style?

seeing as the turbo alone is $800 ( if it actually is new ) .. thinking the mani is worth something i was going to make an offer but would like to know first

build is a b18b1 del sol

if the mani is decent do you think the kit is worth $1300?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Turbonetics turbo as part of an eBay kit: Real or Ruse?

Basically what happens with kits like these is that they put the most effort and materials into the turbocharger, maybe the oil feed and return lines, and very little else. The rest is complete garbage. They couldn't even put a real HKS SSQV in the kit.
The only thing worth the kit at all is the turbocharger, and that's it. You can get that by itself. This is done so that they can at least say they use some "reputable" components to set themselves apart from the other eBay sellers of retrofit universal turbocharger kits.

Now, I know you told us not to mention it, but I never did see the logic in getting bullshit parts; with full knowledge that they are **** parts to "put something together just for now". Only to do it again later, with possibly more work than before. .

I'll stop now, but yes, the rest is ****.

All the best for you, my friend..
Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^perfectly said

With that said, piece your own kit together.

Whats your power goal?

turbo brands to consider : garrett, holset, borg warner, turbonetics, and while were at it, I think TheShodan builds turbos for a living.

manifold : how much you want to spend? Cheap cast iron ebay manifolds are 60$ on ebay (these are strong, but flow poorly, but still make power) on my stock ls, 60$ cast iron manifold, 14 psi with a 57 trim turbo, 293whp/256tq. This was my first manifold. I ended up buying a used high end Ramhorn for $300, which will flow soooooooo much better than the cast iron. You can buy these used for around 550$ new, and top mounts are 800 and up. The manifold in the kit you posted is thin paper trash. It will crack very soon

wastegate : name brand only, get one that matches your manifold.
bov : name brand only. buy a tial q 50mm and be done with it
intercooler - run ebay if you don't plan to go over 400whp, if you do, get a name brand.
intercooler piping - ebay
downpipe - ebay, or custom. whatever floats your boat. my ebay downpipe has been workin fine
injectors - name brand, no cheap ****
Old 09-05-2016, 04:36 PM
On vacation

Even authentic Turbonetics turbochargers are crap.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzuto
im just putting it on and running the 7psi for about 2 months then will do hondata and internals and will upgrade bov and wastegate
so "just 7 PSI" with no tune? not a good idea. also in addition to what everyone else is saying turbonetics is commonly conterfeit, judging by the other items and the seller itself im going with fake I would definetly pass on this kit

Originally Posted by testify
Even authentic Turbonetics turbochargers are crap.
you has proof? seen quite alot of success with them
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I've seen quite alot of success with them
Don't bother asking Testify to get into this. It'll turn into a sh!tstorm fast. You're just being baited into an endless series of rhetorical one-sentenced specifically vague answers if you get into it with him. Run now while you can.

OP, you've gotten your responses. Take the gold nuggets of info and run...Run far.

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-05-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're gonna spend $1500 on something like that then why now just go and get this from go auto works GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo starter kit D16 B16 B18 civic Integra at least then all your really missing is the intercooler, piping and a blow off valve. Or you can just save up another $500 and just get a complete kit GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra D16 B16 B18 .
Old 09-05-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Cason
If you're gonna spend $1500 on something like that then why now just go and get this from go auto works GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo starter kit D16 B16 B18 civic Integra at least then all your really missing is the intercooler, piping and a blow off valve. Or you can just save up another $500 and just get a complete kit GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra D16 B16 B18 .
Excellent reference
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up offering them 1250 sense it's make an offer, they accepted it .(still havnt paid because i wanted review and didnt think they would accept truthfullu)kinda why I was wondering about the mani..
And I'm not looking for anything major for hp just a weekend car with some power

And I thought go autauto works was just as much of eBay "crap"

Everytime I look anything uup the not the big 3 it's "crap"
Originally Posted by Ronnie Cason
Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by rizzuto
I ended up offering them 1250 sense it's make an offer, they accepted it .(still havnt paid because i wanted review and didnt think they would accept truthfullu)kinda why I was wondering about the mani..
And I'm not looking for anything major for hp just a weekend car with some power

And I thought go autauto works was just as much of eBay "crap"

Everytime I look anything uup the not the big 3 it's "crap"
How wrong you are my friend..How wrong you are.. Go-Autoworks is WORLDS above that garbage you're considering. What a waste of good money indeed.

Doesn't matter if it's for just weekend use or not, it's no good if you're on the side of the road because your wastegate fell off of the manifold rolling down the street.

BTW what are the "big 3"? That term is typically reserved for the 3 traditional U.S. automotive manufacturers within the UAW.

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-06-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to agree with Shodan on this one send them an email and and have a conversation with greg from go auto works and you will find that they have great customer support. Greg's always very quick to reply to emails and hes very very knowledgeable about what turbo application would be best for what your planning on doing with the car. Hell just do a search for go auto works on this site alone and see all the people that will vouch for the quality of the products that go auto works puts out. the only reason I'm personally not getting a kit from them is because i decided to go with a Holset hy35 for my build. But you can bet your *** I'm gonna be getting a lot of the other stuff for my turbo project from there.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah understood.. I will probably take negative feedback back for not buying... so would it be dumb to get the starter kit for 1500 and run the eBay intercooler piping for like 150 ..is there piping really worth the $500?

I want it done right but I don't toto do a 4k build which is what I'm probably gunna end up with ha

Originally Posted by TheShodan
How wrong you are my friend..How wrong you are.. Go-Autoworks is WORLDS above that garbage you're considering. What a waste of good money indeed.

Doesn't matter if it's for just weekend use or not, it's no good if you're on the side of the road because your wastegate fell off of the manifold rolling down the street.

BTW what are the "big 3"? That term is typically reserved for the 3 traditional U.S. automotive manufacturers within the UAW.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 AM
On vacation

W hen you spin a bearing on your stock block and it destroys the turbo, you will just have to start over again.

It's really all or nothig, imo.

Companies like Turbonetics, Precision, and even Garrett have slipped in quality lately, and haven't made the massive technological advances that companies like Borg Warner have made in the turbo world lately.

If you want the best, go BW.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How will spinning a bearing ruin the turbo? lol
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM
On vacation

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
How will spinning a bearing ruin the turbo? lol
Not sure if serious, but I'll play along.

When a bearing disintegrates it sends metal fragments through the oil passages. One of those passages is an oil line connected to the turbo. The fragments then destroy the rotating parts, like the journal, inside of the turbo.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ebay stuff is really weak metal. Thin. The more chrome it is, the crappier it will be. Real piping will be bare aluminium. Polished aluminum will cost a lot more. You can't have chrome for cheap.

Go autoworks stuff is great quality, and they build-to-order. Need a different flange for the bov? No problem. Want it welded closer to the intercooler, or closer to the TB, no problem. It's real piping, thick walls, bead rolled edges, and they come with quality couplers and proper clamps that won't break or slip when you try to tighten them.

Never go cheap on flow components. Look at it this way, it's bare aluminum. Something made with thick walls, and proper welds will hold value. Intercoolers and charge piping technology is not going to advance in any forseeable future. Not to mention the number of times people want more power, only to find out their flow components cannot handle it.

You have to spend money now to not spend money later. Your better off paying credit card interest than buying more parts!! lol
Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure if serious, but I'll play along.

When a bearing disintegrates it sends metal fragments through the oil passages. One of those passages is an oil line connected to the turbo. The fragments then destroy the rotating parts, like the journal, inside of the turbo.
Oh c'mon really? I wasn't even going to entertain the first comment but really?

First, mayyybe you could say valve pieces end up hitting the turbine blades.

But second, a properly installed turbo setup will have an oil filter on the line feeding the turbo. If you don't, you're already boinking yourself.

Lol; spinning a bearing and turbo damage is not really what we were talking about anyway. I think the pertinent way to stir the pot, if you were so intending, would be to insinuate the turbo failure will ruin the engine.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 AM

One way to combat the issue of the type of destruction that testify is using as an example. is to use the proper inline oil filter. That will, to a large degree, eliminate FOD (Foreign Object Debris) like bearing material from scaring the turbine shaft or thrust bearing. The internal components from Borg-Warner and Garrett (for the sizes and configurations that you're looking for in a retrofit kit) typically are a much more robust than those of Precision. (Turbonetics falls about in the middle, while Holset is very durable as well.)

There are some things that can't help, no matter what you do. Unfortunately, as much as people try to do so, it is very hard to predict what debris will affect specific components when an engine fails. Sometimes you're lucky, other times, not so much.

As for "advances in technology" Between Garrett & Borg-Warner, it's like iPhone vs. Samsung. Both work, one company has advances the other doesn't and vice-versa. Can't go wrong with either of those.

As for your choice in kit. 92_civic_egJust get the whole Go-Autoworks kit, and stop trying to split up between that and eBay. Because in some cases, the may not fit with one another. You need to understand that this endeavor is expensive, no matter how you try to look at this. It's better to follow the mantra of Buy Once , Cry Once (BOCO) vs. YOLO..

Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 AM
On vacation

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
Oh c'mon really? I wasn't even going to entertain the first comment but really?

First, mayyybe you could say valve pieces end up hitting the turbine blades.

But second, a properly installed turbo setup will have an oil filter on the line feeding the turbo. If you don't, you're already boinking yourself.

Lol; spinning a bearing and turbo damage is not really what we were talking about anyway. I think the pertinent way to stir the pot, if you were so intending, would be to insinuate the turbo failure will ruin the engine.
The motor has a screen and a filter too, but that doesn't stop the cams at the top of the motor from getting scored when you spin a bearing.

Sounds like you don't have much experience with spun bearings and turbochargers.

I'm from the Subaru world where motors eat bearings all day long. I've seen hundreds of turbos damaged from spun bearings.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The kit the OP posted is pure garbage. They are getting ballsy with the price tag eh? Poor suckers.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:35 PM

The motor has a screen and a filter too, but that doesn't stop the cams at the top of the motor from getting scored when you spin a bearing.

Sounds like you don't have much experience with spun bearings and turbochargers.

I'm from the Subaru world where motors eat bearings all day long. I've seen hundreds of turbos damaged from spun bearings.
Ah yes, Subaru world. A world of weirdness since 2002 when the 1st WRX came to the U.S.

The Subaru platform seems to never get out of its own way, despite the relative consistency of the engine / turbocharger configuration in the last 13 years.
See, Subarus from the factory (even the ones with AVCS) had inline oil filter screens that were inline with the oil feed line in order to further filter oil from contaminants (like even from bearing material). Subaru's service manual actually stated that their inline oil filter screens needed to be serviced occasionally after oil changes. What instead occurred with these wonderful enthusiasts was that they removed the screen altogether, whether or not they continued to use their IHI series turbocharger, but especially if they went to a Garrett or Borg-Warner, IHI, or whatever.

What the owners didn't realize was that what they thought was making things easier by removing the screen instead of cleaning it as instructed (due to laziness), subjected themselves to possibly even worse demise by not using any inline oil filter (this is different that filtering oil by way of the engine oil filter itself as Testify is presenting). Be it from bearing material or other metal babbit, Subarus shed bearing material which occurs even with just the wrong type of oil being used. (Subaru engines are notoriously finicky when it comes to the proper oil weight and viscosity.) So, whenever they don't use inline oil filters (not just the screens but from the aftermarket) they tend to destroy turbos pretty easily. Usually occurs by way of the metal babbit (be it from bearings or anything else) either being small enough to score the turbine shaft and thrust bearing, or just large enough to cause starvation by blocking the oil feed entry causing extreme damage.

Forced Performance is a private turbocharger company that deals with this issue of user ignorance frequently, and even has bulletin about why any of their turbochargers that are used must use an inline oil filter in order for any turbocharger to even be eligible for warranty repair.

https://www.forcedperformance.net/me.../02-106-08.pdf

The Subaru world, more often then not, over the last 10 years went from owners being rally enthusiasts and engineers (as their occupation) that had a love for boxer engines, to just a series of cheap, champagne-dream/Soda-pop money having jackasses that purchased a 12 year old WRX with 100,000+ miles and have the nerve to want to use eBay to make their car faster, yet not perform the needed maintenance to keep their turbocharged car running every day. Kinda like many Honda turbo users, but on a much grander scale. So, they really get hard-headed not learning their lesson.

In the case of a Honda, unless using a garbage set of bearings to begin with, this is not as much of an issue regarding type of oil used or even turbo company as it is protection. So, Testify isn't completely wrong about the possibilities of FOD by way of the bearing material causing issues, it's just that the likelihood of it occurring is a bit less than in the Subie world.. Usually, the contamination or starvation is from from something else, like substandard equipment, (i.e. wrong type of oil feed flange with a restrictor in it, incorrect restrictor size, or not using the full support of what the turbocharger is able to give (i.e.lack of use of water lines, etc).

Either way, for 92_civic_eg, his problem is the latter; without the right equipment from the entire setup that he plans to get, having a contaminated turbocharger will be the least of his worries.

My turbo Kung Fu is strong
Old 09-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol ok I didnt ask the question cuz im worried about a $100 turbo that i MIGHT use, but thank anyway. And i was considering the go autoworks kit but i could piece it together for less
Old 09-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
Lol ok I didnt ask the question cuz im worried about a $100 turbo that i MIGHT use, but thank anyway. And i was considering the go autoworks kit but i could piece it together for less
Only if you know exactly what you're getting and how it's configured.

Most who do this their 1st time forget the little things. The couple's, clamps, correct length lines, etc... That's why the Go-Autoworks is a better solution.

You pay for better fitment and quality materials.. Or spend more time fixing than driving...your choice
Old 09-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1st time personal builder, long time reader, and also ive seen my buddy go thru those problems with his ls/v build for boost, fully built down to sleeved block but he never been on a single forum or bothered to do research mostly just asked me what i would do lol.

But since we were both in school for automotive service i didnt mind helpin him and having a big hand in the build was very cool.. But i did watch him waste a lot of money, get a few wrong parts, ect ect that i plan on not doing.

Now his build is making around 450hp on 20psi with a gt35 n its for sale 6k obo .. half of whats put into it with only 1,500 miles and not a single race, but its not my car so i cant say much, cept for that i wish i could buy it haha... And also his kit that was pretty damn nice came in under 2 grand and didnt have a log manifold.. also with a Garret turbo yes the turbocharger was used but thats the only thing, everything else new, bolted up no problem, spools so fast too
Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 PM

If you think that spools fast, heh, wait until you get a properly sized turbo for the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbonetics turbo as part of an eBay kit: Real or Ruse?