Notices

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question

I bought my civic off a guy who swears he didn't have it turbo'd. I don't really believe him because after looking a little closer at the car, there's a new exhaust manifold gasket, and steel braided line that looks like it could be an oil line, plus the car doesn't feel like it's timed correctly. When it's cool out the car runs great....but when it's too hot out the car really bogs down and feel extremely sluggish.

Does anybody have any idea what I could do to fix the problem?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 AM
koa
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo question (SOHCammed)

change the spark plugs. see wich ones are in there if you havent already. soundns like your running bkr7e in a NA car. those are mostly used in turbo setups.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo question (koa)

Well the guy might be telling you the truth, The oil line could be of a oil pressure guage that he remove and sold seperatly and the gasket could be that he remove the headers and put a stock manifold or remove the original manifold and put a header on the car, as well as the gasket could of had a leak and he replace it.

good luck....
Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo question (madracer)

whats the oil line coming from? the back of the block or an oil filter sandwich plate...also what about the oil pan is it tapped?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Turbo question (koa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by koa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change the spark plugs. see wich ones are in there if you havent already. soundns like your running bkr7e in a NA car. those are mostly used in turbo setups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I changed the spark plugs, wires and oil after I bought the car. I still haven't changed the distributor cap, or the timing belt. I will when I get the money, but the problem still exists. It is getting cooler so the problem isn't as apparent, but after driving any distance over 5 miles or so, at least enough to warm up the engine real good, the prob comes back.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Turbo question (c1turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c1turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the oil line coming from? the back of the block or an oil filter sandwich plate...also what about the oil pan is it tapped?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks like it's coming from the back of the block. It's difficult to see where it ends, but it goes around the back and under the engine itself.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Turbo question (SOHCammed)

Best bet it to check if the oil pan is tapped. If the line is coming from the filter (small T like plate that splits the oil filter outlet into two) thats mostly used for an oil pressure gauge. Although if the oil pan is tapped and the line goes into there and is just blocked off...then chances are thats the oil return line thats used to connect to the turbo for cooling.

edit - boost the car up and tell us exactly where that line is connected to. If its the pan, then it was most-likely boosted.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Turbo question (Ghost_2010)

I'll do that as soon as I get home. I'll try and take pics in case I just have no clue what I'm looking at.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Also, check the timing using a timing light. Some people retard overall timing for safety when they are turbocharged.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, check the timing using a timing light. Some people retard overall timing for safety when they are turbocharged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want to do that but I don't know how, and I've seemed to have lost my Hanes manual, and all I have left is my big Chilton's Import guide.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (SOHCammed)

You can go to a local mechanic's shop to do that, and help with the timing check.