Notices

Turbo pistons and rods for 3.5l Honda??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo pistons and rods for 3.5l Honda??

Hey everyone. Been lurking real hard, soaking up all the info I can. I am in the midst of turbo charging my 2004 J35A4 motor. It's in a sand rail and can't find much on after-market for this motor. I just purchased a GT3582R turbo by precision.
Anybody know where I could find info on after-market rods and pistons? (I know JE, arias,etcc will make customs but want to know if someone already stocks them.)
I am told the J35a4's crank is strong and doesn't need to be replaced untill 450hp+, but rods and turbo pistons are a must for high boost.
Also, can you just hone the cylinders to get a little cross hatch and use stock sized pistons or do you think a bore is a must?
How much boost you think an autronic controlled engine at 10-1 C/R can take with above said turbo? (Provided I am tuned good and intercooled air-air)
The best info I could find was on the AV6 boards but am missing some info.
Any links, insight, opinions are welcome.
Thanks

Modified by SandFanatic at 11:21 PM 12/4/2007
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo pistons and rods for 3.5l Honda?? (SandFanatic)

An Odyssey motor, eh? That's definately different. Which explains why there was very little off-the-shelf aftermarket for those parts. you may have to CALL some of the normal aftermarket companies (Eagle, Manley, Crower, SCAT etc) and (Arias, Wiseco, JE, Diamond etc. for pistons) to ensure that they possibly can MAKE an application for you.

Other versions that are cross-referenced are the Ridgeline, Acura RL, and TL Type S.

With 3471cc of displacement, (Bore is 89 mm and stroke is 93 mm) you'd do a great job of making a lot of good torque with that engine. I think maximum good powerband is about 6000rpms. (I don't know what redline you plan to use). The GT35R is a good combination for that.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo pistons and rods for 3.5l Honda?? (TheShodan)

Hey, Thanks for taking the time out to reply.
Yeah Oddessy motor, 02-04 year model to be exact. I currently have a J30A1 (accord 3.0l) in and this was the best choice, considering everything will bolt right up. This motor is not all that different than a 3.2 S type. It was hard deciding on the 3.2 and the 3.5. I am told the perfect turbo setup is my bottom end with the 3.2 S's topend....
My current redline is 6750, so I am hoping for the same. I am glad to hear you think this will create good Tq as this is for a sand car that needs as much of it as possible so I can get up the hills.
Glad to hear the gt35r is going to be good for it. I still am not sure what size wastegate to use. Was looking at a Synapse Synchronic 40mm.
Call the Manufacturers, eh? Sounds expensive...lol
Again, thanks for you input.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo pistons and rods for 3.5l Honda?? (SandFanatic)

No problem. Unfortunately, because of the fact that J-motors were not really the most popular to modify (mainly due to its availability and the expense) many aftermarket manufacturers didn't see a need to mass custom produce pistons or rods for that exact application. But don't sweat, because they may have applications that are CLOSE to those on the J, so that specialization may be a bit limited, and keep the cost down a little. But its best to call anyway. Being around before the "tuner" industry started, that's what we had to do with Hondas and other applications 10-12 years ago. So this is nothing new.

Make sure that you get 2 sets of everything, if possible, or at least make sure that all your measurements and specifications are documented somewhere handy, in case you blow this motor up somehow, and it will prevent months of waiting. Just a CYA measure.