Notices

Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH?

what are your guys experiences with your turbo engines? is it really a fact that there is a lot more maintenance involved with turbos or are they generally no more work than a NA car? i know maintenance would probably be less with a reliable set up (which would be affected by tuning and the parts used), but generally what has been your experience with turbo engines?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH? (plan B.)

you tend to go through spark plugs a little more often with a turbo setup over N/A. also i like to change the oil a little more often also.

other than that with a proper turbo setup properly installed/tuned there isn't really anymore extra maintenance other than keeping and eye on things a little more closely.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH? (non-VTEC)

Once I got my car to stop leaking oil (freaking oil pan gasket) I could drive it just like I would a normal car. Gas it up, check the fluids once a week and thats it. I loved it. When my car was boosted, nothing happend from boosting it causing it to break down. The ignitor went out and my t-belt skipped some teeth but thats it.

I love boost, I miss it so much....

Blaze
Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH? (Blaze45)

Boy do I love those oil pan gaskets. Gee, went through 5! I just gave up and bought a new pan and torq to spec again. -_-

Yup just the usual oil change.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 AM

i tend to do more regular checks of things...just taking a peek aroudn the bay making sure things are in order, vac lines, fluids etc. I'm just more aware with the boost now than i used to be without it.

More than anything, i change my oil more often, about every 2,000 miles
Old 08-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (planeman01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you tend to go through spark plugs a little more often with a turbo setup over N/A. also i like to change the oil a little more often also.

other than that with a proper turbo setup properly installed/tuned there isn't really anymore extra maintenance other than keeping and eye on things a little more closely.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

summed it up pretty good imo..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by plan B. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.. i know maintenance would probably be less with a reliable set up (which would be affected by tuning and the parts used..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say more frequent maintenance and a closer eye will result in a more reliable setup, rather than the other way around, but yeah quality parts

(inexpensive or used quality parts )
Old 08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo maintenance costs and upkeep....FACT or MYTH? (plan B.)

if your car is modified, it doesn't really matter much if its n/a or boost, nitrous.. the more you mess with your car, the more problems windows you open and added maintanance.