Notices

Turbo D16Z6 del Sol Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo D16Z6 del Sol Build

Hello Honda-Tech! Well I'm new here but have been searching for about a year now on this site. Well I have a 94' del Sol Si with a D16Z6. As everyone with a single cam the only choices we really have are either swap or forced induction. I've debated this topic and have finally decided that I want to turbo my little single cam. I've done a lot of research and looked at a lot of other people's builds and got tips from their builds. The engine has a little over 132,000 miles and runs really well. My horsepower goals are anywhere between 275whp-300whp, it will be my daily driver so I want to make it as reliable as possible. So I wanted some tips from you guys and guide me the right way to make a really reliable build! This is the list of parts I will be looking to buy over time, so if there's anything I'm missing or something that won't be necessary, please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!

-Turbo kit:
· Go-Autoworks Street Turbo Kit which includes:
·Turbonetics T3 Super 60 .63 a/r
·2.5in SS downpipe
·1 standard O2 bung
·Tial 50mm Q Blow Off Valve
·Cast Iron Manifold
·38mm MVS dumptube
·Tial 38mm MVS Wastegate (14psi spring combination)
·Pro Oil Kit
·Race charge pipe kit
·Bar & plate intercooler
·(6) high quality silicone reinforced couplers
·(12) stainless T bolt clamps

-Gauges & Electronics
·Innovate Auto/Turbo Timer
·AEM Tru Boost Controller/Gauge
(I know I will need other gauges but I need help on what brands to go with)

-Fuel Components
·Walbro Inline 255 Fuel Pump Kit /-6AN
·Grams 550cc/min Fuel Injectors

-Engine Building
·ARP Head Studs kit D16Z6
·Eagle H Beam Rods
·D16/Vitara Teflon Coated Pistons
·Skunk2 Pro Intake Manifold
·Skunk2 2.5in Mega Power Exhaust System
·Port & Polished
·OEM Water pump, timing belt, head gasket
(Still debating whether I need to build the head so help is definitely appreciated here)

-Catch Cans
·Go-Autoworks Catch Can with 1.5in vent & (2) - 10 AN fittings
·Vent Filter
·Drain Hardware
·6 ft. Stainless Steel Braided -10 AN Hose
·(2) Straight -10 AN Fittings
·(2) 90 Degree -10 AN fittings

-Tuning/Dyno
·Professionally tuned on Neptune

Well this is the list so far, money isn't a problem because I want to make it as reliable as possible but the limit would be $6,000. All help is appreciated, please give me reasons why something is or isn't necessary, and once again thank you in advance everyone!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo D16Z6 del Sol Build

I had a semi built SOHC, similar to your parts listed. I hit 250hp with 440 DSM injectors on a conservative tune.

I did have the zex cam and springs dropped into my head (easy to do) - so think about getting a cam IMO.

I think with 550's and the right tune will get you there. 250-260ish
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Turbo D16Z6 del Sol Build

i always wanted to run that zex cam in a sohc motor. back in 02-03 it was on backorder so i wound up with a sk2 cam right when it first came out.

you have a good plan here and are well on your way. here's how i would tweak it:

- use at least 2 bungs. one for the wideband that should stay in your car and a spare for the wideband at the dyno so you can make sure its within spec

-id get a smaller wg spring maybe something 7-10 psi. you can always raise boost above the wg but cant go lower

-cam and springs/retainers would be great, porting isnt needed for your goals. you may need a tubular ramhorn or miniram manifold with the cam so the exhaust doesnt provide too much pressure/reversion increasing detonation chances

-if possible try for a 3" dp and exhaust

-use the custom length rods not the eagle's. ive done the vitara/eagle build a few years ago and you could tell out of boost. get that compression close to 9:1 if you can with the rods

-dont forget about a clutch!! i ran an action 2md on my last boosted sohc it worked well at power levels right about what you want to make. comp clutches are decent too i would avoid act
Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it and will take these tips!