Notices

trying to make the best decision...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:43 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to make the best decision...

is it just me or does it seem like everyone with a turbo kit has motor issues? all i want is a reliable daily-driven car that can break into the mid 13s. i have a 97 EX, b18c1 swap coming by mid august. i know about building the motor for a turbo...that's not what im asking though. what would be the best route for me to take? turbo or JRSC? what im not to familiar with is superchargers...for some reason i doubt the stock pulley is gonna get me into the mid 13s...would i need the 8lb pulley? is it difficult to launch with the 8lb pulley? how much does that upgrade cost? any hints on engine work before installing the S/C? or is turbo the way to go. in all honesty, i want the least amount of headaches possible with a street-driven 13-sec car. beating mustangs and cameros isn't my top priority...if it was i would have bought one instead. PLEASE HELP!!!!

P.S. what about fuel system upgrades and all that???

[Modified by LATERALUS, 9:44 PM 6/15/2001]
Old 06-15-2001, 12:52 PM

Default Re: trying to make the best decision... (LATERALUS)

Another turbo/JRSC question? Please use the search feature
is it just me or does it seem like everyone with a turbo kit has motor issues? all i want is a reliable daily-driven car that can break into the mid 13s. i have a 97 EX, b18c1 swap coming by mid august. i know about building the motor for a turbo...that's not what im asking though. what would be the best route for me to take? turbo or JRSC? what im not to familiar with is superchargers...for some reason i doubt the stock pulley is gonna get me into the mid 13s...would i need the 8lb pulley? is it difficult to launch with the 8lb pulley? how much does that upgrade cost? any hints on engine work before installing the S/C? or is turbo the way to go. in all honesty, i want the least amount of headaches possible with a street-driven 13-sec car. beating mustangs and cameros isn't my top priority...if it was i would have bought one instead. PLEASE HELP!!!!

P.S. what about fuel system upgrades and all that???

[Modified by LATERALUS, 9:44 PM 6/15/2001]

[Modified by Liltrix, 4:52 PM 6/15/2001]
Old 06-15-2001, 12:56 PM
New User

Default Re: trying to make the best decision... (Liltrix)

you know what...how about instead of telling me to use the search feature (WHICH I USED!!!!!!!!!!) helping me out... if i wanted to get bitched at, i would have gone to superhonda or something. i really don't think it's too unreasonable of me to post such a topic.

the last thing i want to do is waste time with questions of this sort...ive seen them a million+ times too. but never about the same thing. they're always like "which is better?" or "can i beat my mom's camero with a JRSC?" im not asking that.

[Modified by LATERALUS, 10:01 PM 6/15/2001]
Old 06-15-2001, 01:08 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your swapping a b18c into a civic thats a good platform, as long as u have the GSR ECU and tranny to go with it... if u want to run 13's reliably daily driven u can do either, turbo or SC, but the supercharger is gonna give u way way way less headaches... my friend has a JRSC GSR, runs 13.7 consistant, hes on 17's too, basic bolt ons, so id imagine since u are hybrid u could b a little faster then that.. run a test pipe, dont run 17's, learn to drive and u will run 13.5... u dont need an 8lb pulley but u can always upgrade eyndyn style leter and be even faster.. try to run a 2.5" exhaust, w/ 2.5" cat, and if u can have get a JDM header, it opens up to a 2.5" cat so id imagine it would flow even better for a SC then the USDM 2.25" headers..
Old 06-15-2001, 01:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: trying to make the best decision... (DIRep972)

anytime you mod a car you will have some maintinance out of the ordinary.. reguardless of the method used. FI is especially succeptable to problems due to increased pressures and heat.

You want a relaiable setup... leave it stock, but if you want that 13second or better power, be prepared to have problems... most people have relatively good luck, but each car is different and each drivers common sense is different.. some just won't back down or panic during things like detonation or high speed runs down the freeway.

You can go turbo relatively reilaible but it's gonna cost some money and a bit of dyno tuning to make sure it don't go kaboooom the first time you get on it.

supercharger is more reliable if left stock, but crank up the boost... you'll have some issues.. same with a turbo...

power is what you want.. start out with a basic turbo setup... drive that until you feel like you want and are ready for more.. save up and upgrade the internals and up the boost.. your most powerfull tool for a relaible setup is "common sense"...

Old 06-15-2001, 01:43 PM
New User

thanks guys, i appreciate it. my original goal was to have a 300whp hybrid civic, but now that im actually in a position to do it, im kinda scared. it seems a bit excessive yeah? and buying another car for a race car has been in my mind for a bit. maybe a CRX w/ b16a swap..possibly turboed. if i do get a turbo kit...chances are it'll be a drag 3, but for some reason i really don't wanna deal with turbo headaches and wastegate issues. id rather bolt-on and go..if you know what i mean...
Old 06-15-2001, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to say something but your sig freaked me out