Notices

Dark_Teg's "Lets try this again" Project Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dark_Teg's "Lets try this again" Project Build thread

11/15/2017 Car ended up making a max of 574whp and the tuner put it at a very safe 510whp 385RWTQ. Thank you Honda-tech for all the help. Sorry the pics no longer work. Photobucket no longer supports 3rd party hosting.

Long story short, I turbo'd the stock B18CR on 91 octane and made 297WHP 260WTQ. It was fun while it lasted but the ring lands gave it up. This time I am going big. I have purchased everything except for the turbo manifold and fuel system for the new build.

New set-up consist of;
Head
*Supertech 85# turbo springs
*Supertech Titanium retainers
*Supertech seals and guides
*Ferrea Competition plus intake valves
*Ferrea Competition plus exhaust valves
*Skunk2 lost motion springs
*I had the valves unshrouded, the bowls nicely blended, chambers smoothed out.
*Stock ITR cams
Intake
*Skunk2 Ultra race W/ 90mm TB ported by 4 piston
Block
*CSS'd block 81.5mm
*CP 9.8 pistons, Manley I-beam turbo tuff rods
*Stock ITR crank
*ACL race bearings
*New OEM oil and water pump
*ATI pro damper
Turbo kit
*TR3030R W/ .82 AR Tial V-band exhaust housing
*45mm Turbosmart hypergate
*Turbosmart BOV
*Sheepey bottom mount
*Big Treadstone intercooler
*Custom piping
*Turbo smart BOV
*Hondata S300
Fuel
Walbro 450lph E85
*I.D. 2000's
Transmission
*Synchrotech built JDM B16S1, Carbon Synchros, Quaife LSD
*Spec stage 3+ clutch

Please excuse the towel fuzz

This time around I really didn't want to take any chances. Even though stock sleeves can probably handle a GT3076R I went ahead and CSS'd the block. I am going max HP on race gas.

The car in question;

I am heading to the machine shop Monday to have the block bored to 81.5mm, honed, and assembled.

More to come!

Last edited by Dark_Teg; 11-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Dark_Teg's "Lets try this again" Project Build thread

Stock blocks can handle more than you think.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Going in a Crx thats sick as hell, gonna fly

Block looks perfect, manifold choice is going to be tough in our tiny Crx engine bays
Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More than enough room in a CRX
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EddieCRX-That looks like a nice clean set-up.
KevinEF7-Flying is the plan. 10's or bust.

I may end up with a ram horn but I am also considering these. I am thinking they might have the flow I need with less lag than a ram horn but I don't know.

SPfab A-spec

SPfab Prototype-1

Off to the machine shop this morning.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After looking at some threads where Subaru owners were breaking Manley H-beams at under 500 whp I decide to order some Manley turbo tuff I-beams. Guess I am putting the H-beams on Ebay.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Manley h beams should be fine for where your turbo will max out. Comparing a boxer engine to a honda is kinda apples n oranges.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah they probably would have been fine but I will feel better knowing the turbo tuff rods are in there.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
After looking at some threads where Subaru owners were breaking Manley H-beams at under 500 whp I decide to order some Manley turbo tuff I-beams. Guess I am putting the H-beams on Ebay.
Good plan. I just read a thread on NASIOC about a broken Manley H-beam...made me rethink my position on them. They're fine in 99% of the builds, but what's the sense in taking the risk? Money well spent IMO
Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any opinions on this tank? I like the design and weight savings. I am thinking of using it with dual Bosch 044's and dual fuel lab filters.

http://www.ipgparts.com/store/FCS-5-...tegra-CRX.html
Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that ***** gonna be fuuuuuuun..

good luck...reminds me of when we had my motor apart like 7 years ago...everyone was questioning how many miles i actually had on the engine vs. what the odometer showed and i had to assure them it actually had almost 130k on it. they had a difficult time believing it could still look so new with that many miles..
Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using Spoolin's prototype1 manifold and it's definitely a nice piece but my only complaint was the with the wastegate. I'm not 100% sure that you'll have the same (or as bad of) a problem as we did with that turbo; but with my 6266 with 38mm gate it was shooting 18 lbs on a 7 lb wastegate spring on pump... On Q16 it would go to 30-33 lbs until it would finally be able to have any amount of control. We just added a second 38 gate to the opposite side of the manifold and it's now flawless. Very nice piece apart from that though and it holds good power.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by chialpha2006
I'm using Spoolin's prototype1 manifold and it's definitely a nice piece but my only complaint was the with the wastegate. I'm not 100% sure that you'll have the same (or as bad of) a problem as we did with that turbo; but with my 6266 with 38mm gate it was shooting 18 lbs on a 7 lb wastegate spring on pump... On Q16 it would go to 30-33 lbs until it would finally be able to have any amount of control. We just added a second 38 gate to the opposite side of the manifold and it's now flawless. Very nice piece apart from that though and it holds good power.

Not to sound bold, but with a 75lbs/min+ turbocharger on an extremely low spring on a 38mm wastegate, without retarding timing up front, I guess my question is... What'd you expect was going to happen? That's not the manifold's fault for that, sir.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

most of the 2010 and up wrx's have been nuking number 4 rod bearings for no reason also, most of which Subaru won't warranty... they have their own unique problems, most of which don't apply to inline motors.

I know plenty of guys using manley h beams on inline motors, I do like the turbo tuff rods better though, It's all I've used up until the current motor build
Old 06-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any opinions on this tank? I like the design and weight savings. I am thinking of using it with dual Bosch 044's and dual fuel lab filters.

http://www.ipgparts.com/store/FCS-5-...tegra-CRX.html
The FCSRace tank is nice for drag cars, takes a little creativity for the fill though
Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
The FCSRace tank is nice for drag cars, takes a little creativity for the fill though
Uses stock fill and fuel level sending unit for an upcharge. I cant think of a reason not to buy it.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a brand new fcs 5gl fuel cell with sending unit the tank will come with 15 ft of 10 an line and 15ft of 8 an line im looking to get 600 for the package
Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by artie89
I got a brand new fcs 5gl fuel cell with sending unit the tank will come with 15 ft of 10 an line and 15ft of 8 an line im looking to get 600 for the package
Thanks for the offer but when spending that kind of cash I prefer just to go to the source.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got the Turbo Tuff rods in from UPS and dropped them off at the machine shop. Looks like he will still be a couple of weeks till I get my short block back.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still don't have my shortblock back from the machine shop...WTF... I did buy a Skunk2 Ultra race 3.5L intake manifold today though.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM

I still don't have my shortblock back from the machine shop...WTF.
From 6-23-14 to 8-07-14 isn't the longest turn around time for something like that. You want it done fast, or you want it done right?

Give them a couple more weeks then give them a call or head on up to inquire about an update. But most quality machine shops have you in line like anyone else. I'm sure you've got other areas of the car to occupy your time in the meantime.

It's looking good so far. Stay patient and steady.. you'll be fine.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have decided to send the Skunk2 Ultra race intake to 4 piston to get ported. They say the port work is worth 40HP on a 500HP set-up. I am still debating between just buying a ram horn or going custom for the manifold.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:10 AM

I have decided to send the Skunk2 Ultra race intake to 4 piston to get ported. They say the port work is worth 40HP on a 500HP set-up. I am still debating between just buying a ram horn or going custom for the manifold.
On a GT3076R, it could go either way on the exhaust manifold, but the more important question you have to ask yourself is that if you go "custom" on the exhaust manifold, what purpose are you targeting? We all know each of the popular manifold designs have a purpose in which some characteristics will be exhibited more than others. Larger OD runners (1.75") and divided channels bring more peak power, while slightly smaller OD runners (1.5"-1.6") will help with more torque. Considering your turbocharger choice of the GT3076R, you're better off with the latter option.

You won't get much MORE out of that turbo with a Ultra Race that's been CNC'd by 4Piston (no hate here, really.. ). What works for NA won't always work in the same manner for Turbos, especially those of that size. The turbine wheel and cylinder head workup (camshaft, exhaust porting, compressor wheel aero, etc) is where the magic will be for characteristic change, but the turbine and compressor can only compress a specific volume of air.. no more, no less..

I'm not saying that it will hurt what you're doing by A. Getting the Ultra RACE over the Ultra STREET or B. by getting it CNC'd for maximum air intake , but it won't help as much as you're thinking, especially with a smaller framed GT3076R. You start getting into the big turbos, like 68lbs/min +, now you're talking a different purpose for what the CNC 4Piston job is a bit more intended for. But not for your current setup.

Believe me... I've got an ultra street myself I had hand done by Ricky at Kinsler via D&S Engine... that's saved for the NA project EM1 I have.

Get the exhaust ports and intake ports on the head done, and save the money on the work on the intake manifold. Save that for the NA project.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your feedback and totally agree. I am getting the manifold ported cause I see it as an investment in future gains. If I ever want to go faster all I will need to do is upgrade turbo and injectors. I wish I had a GT35 variant right now instead of my GT3076R but my turbo has a few hundred street miles and a hand full of track passes on it and is literally like new.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM

I appreciate your feedback and totally agree. I am getting the manifold ported cause I see it as an investment in future gains. If I ever want to go faster all I will need to do is upgrade turbo and injectors. I wish I had a GT35 variant right now instead of my GT3076R but my turbo has a few hundred street miles and a hand full of track passes on it and is literally like new.
Then its best to WAIT until its time to upgrade and plan for that larger turbo , instead of all the initial investment now, where you won't see any real gains on it. I know, I know, people on this forum hate the term "wait", but I'm telling ya, you won't realize what you're gaining until you see what you have now. You'll get slightly over 500whp out of the turbo, no matter what boost level you throw at it, or what manifold you'll use..

Just preparing ya. .

Quick Reply: Dark_Teg's "Lets try this again" Project Build thread