Notices

Snapping Exhaust Studs

Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapping Exhaust Studs

Well im curious about something. I have a AFI ramhorn mani and this thing is beefy it has some weight to it. As far as my turbo its a 60-1 i was wondering all this weight i might be snapping these damn manifold bolts

Anyone have any problems with the stock studs breaking. or you all upgrade these studs. Thanks in advance

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your manifold flange is probably warped
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

i wouldnt worry about it.....generally the manifold will crack before the studs break
but if you are worried about it; there are companies that make "better" studs. i cant remember who right off hand, but there is a company that makes them and they are a little longer and stronger.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DAneronimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DAneronimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt worry about it.....generally the manifold will crack before the studs break
but if you are worried about it; there are companies that make "better" studs. i cant remember who right off hand, but there is a company that makes them and they are a little longer and stronger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ARP
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DAneronimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DAneronimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt worry about it.....generally the manifold will crack before the studs break </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your manifold flange is probably warped</TD></TR></TABLE>

both very true statements
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapping Exhaust Studs (Hondaruss)

definately get arp which are 12.9 grade, be carefull, removing studs could damage coils and you may need to fix threads, sometimes involving cyl. head removal..

either way, you should not be snapping bolts, something isn't torqued right, overtorqued or uneven/warped
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapping Exhaust Studs (vtec.dc2)

i had 3 broken studs and nothing was wrong with the manifold, got a set of brand new studs from the dealer havent had an issue so far.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Snapping Exhaust Studs (RedR)

All good info. I have a broke stud in the head from removing the stock mani. any tips on getting this out. other then drilling and getting a easy out. Which ends up breaking in my hands which allways seems to happen from time to time

--as for studs if i were to replace them. just for the pure fact of not having anything to worrie about. I was gonna replace with grade 8 from the Azone.

But thanks again for all the info.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a flexpipe in your exhaust?

Not having one sometimes also causes snapped bolts. The exaust needs to flex some to compensate for the motor movement.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaruss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All good info. I have a broke stud in the head from removing the stock mani. any tips on getting this out. other then drilling and getting a easy out. Which ends up breaking in my hands which allways seems to happen from time to time
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may want to break down and take it to a machine shop. My buddy worked at a place that had a special machine that literally vibrated apart the hardened (or at least harder than base metal) stud. I can't recall what he called it, I just know he took an old garrett wastegate of mine with a broken stud WITH a broken hardened easy-out and returned it with both gone...and sandblasted Not many places will have it though, he said the machine is expensive.

More than likely a normal shop would drill it out with a solid carbide bit, then chase the threads to remove the rest.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Snapping Exhaust Studs (HiProfile)

i broke 3 exaust studs, replaced them with new ones and holding good. i think it wasjust the old studs combined with a heavier manifold and the years of stress and rust that made them crack off.