Notices

skunk 2 ultra intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: skunk 2 ultra intake manifold

Originally Posted by eK24monster
Does it really matter? Honestly, if I told you where its made would it make any difference? We make stuff locally and we've said it and people still dont believe it... so what does it matter?

I have zero experience with Skunk2 products and was simply asking, after googling now I see what all this is about. Sorry for bringing it up I had no clue about the previous drama involved for skunk2, I just recently picked up a Honda again.

As for what difference, I prefer to buy American made products when possible to support my country, also I find them to be well built and superior to some imports.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by owen23
It could be made in Africa and cast from elephant ****, ill let the numbers decide if I end up getting one. I don't see your point.
Numbers are one reason, reliability based on the quality of the product will be another.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More junk from a company that likes to outsource products and put bounties on people
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rotas are made in the Phillipines, I've never owned a pair so I'm not going to speculate on the quality. Many people on this site rock em and are happy with them. Time will sort out if Skunks IM is a win/flop. Just sit this one out and watch the drama unfold.

"I do not like green eggs and ham" -sometimes you gotta eat the **** to know if you like it

Last edited by owen23; 02-21-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blazed and Puma... your late, we've heard those things before, but thanks for the bump!! Checks in the mail
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
looks very nice Basically its like a ITB setup with a cap i guess.
wrong it has only one throttle body
and yes individual runners with velocity stack style casts
but not itbs
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by owen23
It could be made in Africa and cast from elephant ****, ill let the numbers decide if I end up getting one. I don't see your point.
hahaha...!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

couldnt care less what you are trying to shill or support, i will repeat any chance i can, and you will continue being trash, just like your products
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eK24monster
I'm trying to do everything I can to defend this product from people with hidden agenda's.
That's strange...because I would imagine working for them would, in part, compromise your agenda. Hmm... maybe a little constructive criticism is what you guys need to hear. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows when you release a product that isn't "up to par." ...PS, chill out a little bit

This thread has gotten out of hand and unless we all try to reel it back in, I'm going to have to close it. Its a discussion, not an argument
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a solid platform.. I'm not completely sold on it, but its looking very promising for future devolopment and / or better manifold designing.

Failures are going to happen, its apart of the game. But its not how you fail, its how you learn from it When you fail.. Period. People keep bring up alex and chris' experince with the manifold when it was a "prototype" and wasn't even fully devoloped, they were doing "testing" to see if they were even headed in the right direction, keep in mind, the people bashing it, that alex has claimed i believe the fastest small tire speed with this manifold. So its not exactly a **** in the wind try..

I'm a company/business owner/tuner, i support the companies that go out, and do R/D. I support Made in the USA products, and I support anything thats going to help everyone want to better themselves in this industry... this manifold should be a stepping stone for those guys out there who are already doing manifolds, the game has been stepped up and now its gotta better, hopefully for the future. Believe me, if I was as big of a company as sk2 is, i'd love to do all kinds of R/D and ****.. wish i had the money some of these companies do.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Truth...

Just my .02 cents.

I admire companies that try new things, push the envelope, try and make parts that are ground-breaking and not afraid to fail here and there.

Not exactly sure "when" Sheepey and Miller were testing the prototype. Obviously we have heard that multiple weak points/design issues have been changed and corrected, (so far).

From a business standpoint, I think Skunk2 may have jumped the gun on releasing information, pricing and add-ons, before making their product PERFECT.

Only then should pictures of the final model, information and features should be released to the public.

I sense all the hate coming from the prototype testing, which should have been kept fairly secretive, until the bugs are worked out.

Granted, I understand that building hype and promoting a new product as much as possible will aid in future sales. Although, for a product that is "intended" for a serious and competitive area of racing, more testing and design changes need to take place behind closed doors or the public will eat you alive with allegations of releasing a sub-par, generic product with no attention to detail. You risk losing more business in the long run from new and returning customers.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I would gladly change from my pro series intake manifold to thia new one. If there was changes made to the iac, and maybe if the price was around four bills
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
OG Fabricator

Everyone bitching about where its made would be just be bitching about the price or how long it takes to get if it was made here...
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Evo1
Everyone bitching about where its made would be just be bitching about the price or how long it takes to get if it was made here...
I was asking because I am willing to spend more for something made in America. I was unaware of the big drama that happened before and was not trying to rustle jimmies.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorake
I was asking because I am willing to spend more for something made in America. I was unaware of the big drama that happened before and was not trying to rustle jimmies.
I never completely understood that correlation. Business-preference, QC and patriotism aside. You're driving an Import, made in either, Japan, U.S., Canada, or a combination of all three, and worried about if a part is specifically "Made In America". I could definitely see the logic in an older U.S. based platform, and even moreso if its an American "classic", but this... Interesting.

The Kinsler would definitely be your better bet.. It uses OEM parts from Honda direct, as well as its own fabrication. Be ready for $2100 to boot.

People here want it made in America.. and that's fine. But they also want it cheap, and as a matter of history over the last 35 years, those two concepts don't go together. The days of Americans making $10 of quality for $5 on the market are gone. Made In America...Means PAY THE MAN HIS JUST DUE for his product... and you may actually have to wait for one to complete it.. Something that just doesn't seem to vibe on many import-car forums. It's definitely been a theme over the last 10 years or so from what I've noticed.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Ok, it does not have to be "made in America" but it does not to be quality and I am willing to pay for quality usually when buying things. Kinsler looks awesome for quality of the build.

I was into hondas and what not in the late 90s and had never seen an "Ebay" turbo before recently. The fact that people put that crap on their cars is astounding. I am going to be starting to restore(redo, build, etc) my civic shortly after I finish my EVO. Not quite sure if I will need an aftermarket IM but I was more of window shopping the quality of the part without knowing much about the company, I had heard of low quality from them on here before but never too much and I realize there is a lot of false information on here.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

Welcome to this thing we call the Internet.

Reminds me of that commercial with the "French model".

Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorake
Ok, it does not have to be "made in America" but it does not to be quality and I am willing to pay for quality usually when buying things. Kinsler looks awesome for quality of the build.

I was into hondas and what not in the late 90s and had never seen an "Ebay" turbo before recently. The fact that people put that crap on their cars is astounding. I am going to be starting to restore(redo, build, etc) my civic shortly after I finish my EVO. Not quite sure if I will need an aftermarket IM but I was more of window shopping the quality of the part without knowing much about the company, I had heard of low quality from them on here before but never too much and I realize there is a lot of false information on here.
I see where you're coming from.. No worries. Just that particular mode of logic caught me off guard is all. .

Yeah, the whole eBay turbo-kit phenomenon started about 2003 after some great quality Japanese companies started to no longer supply the U.S. market, for exactly the reason we both mentioned. Add to the fact that today any mention of the older Japanese companies results in one being flagged a "JDM Fanboy", and as such, gets no positive remarks, regardless of the better quality components. Since the American-Import fabrication market didn't start taking off until about 2004, especially for Hondas, it was either custom fab or a Market-specific kit from one of the original companies. Because of the "expense" that people complained about as the market became more youthful, the "eBay" companies (XS Power, SSAutoCrome/brothers, Godspeed, etc) began to fill the void. Slowly at first, but then it grew exponentially within about 4-5 years.

So now, you have a lot of components that are basically in-between. Some more quality than others, and in some cases both coming from the same companies, but either way, because companies are trying to reach the most members of a limited market, (if they even care about a Honda market anymore) they have to create a target price, and still make profit. So, that usually means, designed by U.S. companies (based upon Principal Place of Business "Nerve Center" designation defined by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 19.), but made somewhere else. Not the U.S., not Japan, but many other places in the world...Some locations are undesired for a variety of reasons, reasonable or not, but..it is what it is..

Your concern should focus more on how its made based upon the regulations or specifications the company-in-chief give the manufacturer, and not just where its made. Most of the more reasonable quality builds have a balance of both fabricated and purchased, but it can get ugly here, so sift through it with a fined-tooth comb. But I get your point, completely. What you want can be done.. But be prepared to pay.

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pumafeet10
couldnt care less what you are trying to shill or support, i will repeat any chance i can, and you will continue being trash, just like your products
I love it when people talk about sh#t they have no experience with. I'm going out on a limb, but I bet you don't have one of these manifolds. So entertaining when a person is quick to call something garbage with no experience with it, and people jump on the wagon and agree. It would be the same as someone saying, "this manifold makes so much more power than any I've seen!" then people would be flaming "truth!, dyno sheets! More proof! truth! put up or shut up!" The same df's that talk trash about something without proof, or truth, have a line of dipshits lining up to jump in the dumpster of ignorance right behind them.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the tread was to get info about the product. but i guess its to early. lets talk about the three different sizes you can get. and the type you should choose in reference to your setup.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

Originally Posted by Kr4nG
the tread was to get info about the product. but i guess its to early. lets talk about the three different sizes you can get. and the type you should choose in reference to your setup.
This all can be calculated. It is too hard to just say one size will be better than the other for various reasons. Bore, stroke, induction, cams, ect will all change what is best for the end user. At that point it is better to build your own manifold to your specific specifications. Having an off the shelf manifold for a race car is pointless in my opinion. On the other hand, if something works then so be it.

The idea of this manifold is sound and neat. The real world appications may be a different story. The worst test anyone could perform would be just slap the manifold on and not tune anything. We need somebody to tune two setups to the max power and then we can have something to base our decisions on... for THAT particular setup. I just feel the price is MUCH too high for what it is and that we would be paying for their failures in the "prototype" stage. This manifold would be much better priced in the $500 range. Each spacer could be another $75 or so.

Either way, if this design stays where it is at they should remove ANY and ALL implications that this even remotely has street car capabilities. There would be a lot less to argue about if this was strictly a race part. Also, with this seemingly being rushed, they have no support for adapters or other add ons to justify purchasing the part. If I am going to have to fab and weld and purchase extra parts to get something to work, I may as well just spend more and get something to drop in. Let's face it, at this level we are well passed the Mickey Mouse BS.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't care less about this manifold, what I do care about is information about a disreputable company who has tried to maliciously disrupt people's lives and out source their products
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I see where you're coming from.. No worries. Just that particular mode of logic caught me off guard is all. .

Yeah, the whole eBay turbo-kit phenomenon started about 2003 after some great quality Japanese companies started to no longer supply the U.S. market, for exactly the reason we both mentioned. Add to the fact that today any mention of the older Japanese companies results in one being flagged a "JDM Fanboy", and as such, gets no positive remarks, regardless of the better quality components. Since the American-Import fabrication market didn't start taking off until about 2004, especially for Hondas, it was either custom fab or a Market-specific kit from one of the original companies. Because of the "expense" that people complained about as the market became more youthful, the "eBay" companies (XS Power, SSAutoCrome/brothers, Godspeed, etc) began to fill the void. Slowly at first, but then it grew exponentially within about 4-5 years.

So now, you have a lot of components that are basically in-between. Some more quality than others, and in some cases both coming from the same companies, but either way, because companies are trying to reach the most members of a limited market, (if they even care about a Honda market anymore) they have to create a target price, and still make profit. So, that usually means, designed by U.S. companies (based upon Principal Place of Business "Nerve Center" designation defined by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 19.), but made somewhere else. Not the U.S., not Japan, but many other places in the world...Some locations are undesired for a variety of reasons, reasonable or not, but..it is what it is..

Your concern should focus more on how its made based upon the regulations or specifications the company-in-chief give the manufacturer, and not just where its made. Most of the more reasonable quality builds have a balance of both fabricated and purchased, but it can get ugly here, so sift through it with a fined-tooth comb. But I get your point, completely. What you want can be done.. But be prepared to pay.

Good information, thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pumafeet10
I couldn't care less about this manifold, what I do care about is information about a disreputable company who has tried to maliciously disrupt people's lives and out source their products
If businesses existed solely for making people happy, they'd all be bankrupt. In a competitive environment, especially one with high labor costs (ie, the US), sometimes you have to outsource production to keep your product competitive. They're not out to maliciously screw people over...what they are doing is keeping their business alive and profitable
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They sure as hell were malicious about putting a bounty for people, and you never have to outsource products, that's a choice, people pay for quality, and for an abundance of people no matter the industry pay more for fair labor and standards

Quick Reply: skunk 2 ultra intake manifold