Notices

S2000 any good for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 S2000 any good for turbo?

Hi there,

I used to have an 249Whp Ls-T integra but sold it for a BMW 330CI a few years ago. The BMW is cool but I really miss my Honda!

I am looking at getting something that I will be able to turbo charge again and I was wondering about the S2000. The engine already produce a lot of power for its displacement so I am wondering if it can support a turbo and keep its reliability and what kind of power I can expect out of a stock engine. I know reliability and turbo is hard to predict but I am not an hardcore racer, the turbo is mainly for driving enjoyment enhencement and few race here and there.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 any good for turbo?

Might wanna utilize the 'search' function.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated, search will yield results...

In short, yes... make sure your motor is in good working order (e.g. compression test), and then bolt something on...

To answer the "something", look around a bit... figure out your power goals, and then find out what people are using to achieve them
Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see very good numbers with a decent turbo kit. stock head and block just a thicker head gasket. dont forget a good tune
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with the search button that is what I did before creating this thread.
I did in fact found many thread about it but a good part of them were people having very low numbers or a lot of problems so I figured I would ask.

For a 2.0L or 2.2L the engine already has a lot of stress pushing 240hp, especially at 8-9K RPM, so I wondered if you would have gave me the advice to stay N/A or gave me a magic recepie before going turbo.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah right...

Like you couldn't type S2000 + Turbo in google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=s2000...rchBox&ie=&oe=

Stock S2000 turbo

http://www.google.com/search?q=s2000...db27fceba1f6ba
Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFFudEJnjk
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MidShipCivic
Yeah right...

Like you couldn't type S2000 + Turbo in google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=s2000...rchBox&ie=&oe=

Stock S2000 turbo

http://www.google.com/search?q=s2000...db27fceba1f6ba
Looking at those S2000 vids, pictures, vendor websites and import-tuner like websides is SoOoOOo helpful...

Yes, there is a bunch of returns on google but most of them are useless as they don't provide any specific information.

Thank you for thinking that I am an idiot.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ROFL!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't think anyone here is trying to insult your intelligence. I think what they ARE saying is that the S2000 is very stout from the factory to have the durability and reliability to turbocharge (notwithstanding the tuner you choose). So the answer is YES, they can be turbocharged and has been done for years. Instead of people posting up these super high hp dyno numbers, I challenge us all to find information on a more subtle 400whp setup that might reflect his needs a little better. But the OP must also understand turbocharging enough to use the right key words in google to help himself. Give us a direction you want to go with this, and we'll gladly respond with vigor and thought provoking answers.. ONE!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Pretty-n-Pink

Originally Posted by jdm inc
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I don't think anyone here is trying to insult your intelligence. I think what they ARE saying is that the S2000 is very stout from the factory to have the durability and reliability to turbocharge (notwithstanding the tuner you choose). So the answer is YES, they can be turbocharged and has been done for years. Instead of people posting up these super high hp dyno numbers, I challenge us all to find information on a more subtle 400whp setup that might reflect his needs a little better. But the OP must also understand turbocharging enough to use the right key words in google to help himself. Give us a direction you want to go with this, and we'll gladly respond with vigor and thought provoking answers.. ONE!
Thx,

I guess I should have been more specific. What I would like to have is about 325 rwhp on a stock engine with quality parts and profesional tune. I was thinking of going with an F22 for the extra .2 displacement and lower RPM as 9k RPM + turbo on stock engine scares me a bit. Yes I have found many 550RWhp+ article or thread but that is not the type of power I am looking for. The majority of the other article I found were people having issues so it made me think: Not built system will have issues so you must have a kick *** setup and run 550 Rwhp if you want to have a turbo S2k.

If anyone have or know someone who have a ~325RWhp and would like to tell me about their setup it would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure what you're asking for.. if a stock motor can handle 500whp, 325whp should be a walk in the park.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IntegraMastaz
Looking at those S2000 vids, pictures, vendor websites and import-tuner like websides is SoOoOOo helpful...

Yes, there is a bunch of returns on google but most of them are useless as they don't provide any specific information.

Thank you for thinking that I am an idiot.
You're very incoherent.

Thinking you're an idiot ? I didn't say that, but you self confirmed are one, you just want ppl to find all the work for you.

Idiot.

Thx,

I guess I should have been more specific. What I would like to have is about 325 rwhp on a stock engine with quality parts and profesional tune. I was thinking of going with an F22 for the extra .2 displacement and lower RPM as 9k RPM + turbo on stock engine scares me a bit. Yes I have found many 550RWhp+ article or thread but that is not the type of power I am looking for. The majority of the other article I found were people having issues so it made me think: Not built system will have issues so you must have a kick *** setup and run 550 Rwhp if you want to have a turbo S2k.

If anyone have or know someone who have a ~325RWhp and would like to tell me about their setup it would be appreciated.
You're still babbling total nonsense about 9k rpm + the fact that turbocharging scares you? But you want to swap your motor/stroke your to produce a mere 325whp.

This is nothing on the stock engine since people have done 600whp on the stock motor.

I found this relatively useful info in less then a minute looking at the links in google that'd anwser all of your questions.

http://www.s2000.com/forums/forced-i...-can-they.html

http://maseengineering.com/blog/entr...it_comparison/

Debating with me, I'll tell you now you're not going to be very sucessful in your transgression.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bolt on a greddy kit and make that power all day.

Hop on s2ki FI section and you will see a ton of boosted cars in your power range daily driven.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drove mine untill I started building it. I even took it out a few times in the winter.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MidShipCivic
You're very incoherent.

Thinking you're an idiot ? I didn't say that, but you self confirmed are one, you just want ppl to find all the work for you.

Idiot.

You're still babbling total nonsense about 9k rpm + the fact that turbocharging scares you? But you want to swap your motor/stroke your to produce a mere 325whp.

This is nothing on the stock engine since people have done 600whp on the stock motor.

I found this relatively useful info in less then a minute looking at the links in google that'd anwser all of your questions.

http://www.s2000.com/forums/forced-i...-can-they.html

http://maseengineering.com/blog/entr...it_comparison/

Debating with me, I'll tell you now you're not going to be very sucessful in your transgression.
Hummm, I never said I wanted to swap engine or stroke or anything but anyways... Oh... and sorry for the ''transgression'' LOL, I guess I am not the only idiot who participated in this thread.

Thx to the other people
Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Thx,

Actually that's pretty simple, and there's no need to change the displacement or rpm on the engine for that amount of horspower. You're kinda putting the cart before the horse in this instance. changing displacement and lowering the rpms a bit still won't change the piston speeds that the engine will be experiencing, and doesn't put any less "stress" on the engine. Don't overthink this, and don't expect a lot of pics/dynos/setups in one spot to spoon feed you. Look at an entire package besides just power, as a RWD anything needs to have good suspension combination just for good street duty. Find out other's rides on specific S2000 forums to also get information.

Look to AFI, Peakboost, and Go-Autoworks for their fabricated kits as they are built for most Garrett combinations. you don't need anything more than about 55-60lbs/min (to give you a bit more room than just 325whp), and a ball-bearing turbo isn't at all necessary and can be done for less expense with the knowledge that if something happened it can be rebuilt. AEM EMS is the best way to go for management as well as at least 750cc injectors, Walboro fuel pump and a TiAL external wastegate and Blow off Valve. As for clutches, look to Exedy and Clutchmasters, but also see if the rear end itself couldn't use a littl attention.

After that, that's about it. Its not rocket science in 2010, but also check out some of the other rides in the S2000 forum to help you. Plan to spend about $6-$8K for this project, and in this instance it is NOT cheaper to get things individually and Piece it together like other honda platforms. Do it once, do it right.

There you go.. now GO OUT THERE AND BE ALL YOU CAN BE! ;--) LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You tell me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNwvxtPziu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRgxSKXmxGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyi2K...layer_embedded

Enjoy

Fernando @ Kings Performance
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hummm, I never said I wanted to swap engine or stroke or anything but anyways... Oh... and sorry for the ''transgression'' LOL, I guess I am not the only idiot who participated in this thread.

Thx to the other people
Fascinating tale mate.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Instead of people posting up these super high hp dyno numbers, I challenge us all to find information on a more subtle 400whp setup that might reflect his needs a little better... ONE!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes and just do it pssshhhhh
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually that's pretty simple, and there's no need to change the displacement or rpm on the engine for that amount of horspower. You're kinda putting the cart before the horse in this instance. changing displacement and lowering the rpms a bit still won't change the piston speeds that the engine will be experiencing, and doesn't put any less "stress" on the engine. Don't overthink this, and don't expect a lot of pics/dynos/setups in one spot to spoon feed you. Look at an entire package besides just power, as a RWD anything needs to have good suspension combination just for good street duty. Find out other's rides on specific S2000 forums to also get information.

Look to AFI, Peakboost, and Go-Autoworks for their fabricated kits as they are built for most Garrett combinations. you don't need anything more than about 55-60lbs/min (to give you a bit more room than just 325whp), and a ball-bearing turbo isn't at all necessary and can be done for less expense with the knowledge that if something happened it can be rebuilt. AEM EMS is the best way to go for management as well as at least 750cc injectors, Walboro fuel pump and a TiAL external wastegate and Blow off Valve. As for clutches, look to Exedy and Clutchmasters, but also see if the rear end itself couldn't use a littl attention.

After that, that's about it. Its not rocket science in 2010, but also check out some of the other rides in the S2000 forum to help you. Plan to spend about $6-$8K for this project, and in this instance it is NOT cheaper to get things individually and Piece it together like other honda platforms. Do it once, do it right.

There you go.. now GO OUT THERE AND BE ALL YOU CAN BE! ;--) LOL
Agreed with everything. I put my setup together after reasearch of what it would take to make my goals. The funny thing was I thought I was going to save money, but ended up spending more then some kits.

AEM EMS FTW. Can't go wrong there.

He can check out my build thread in the s2000 section. 400, reliable, stock motor, and I try and drive it as often as I get a chance to with my busy life.