Notices

radiator hoses expanding, need help, have a tune & dyno session Friday

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator hoses expanding, need help, have a tune & dyno session Friday

okay so i finished putting my b16 back together now with brand new head gasket and arp head studs.

i went to go test drive it on 5lbs of boost and only took it to 5k cuz im running a base map. when i got back home after driving around for 10mins i saw coolant on the ground. i took a closer look and it was coming from the top radiator hose where it connects to the radiator.

i shut the car off and squeezed the hose and more coolant came out. the clamp is tight but i realized that both lower and upper hoses were hard and full of coolant, getting ready to burst...but luckily they are brand new hoses so they didn't...

i did a little research and they were saying its my head gasket and that it didnt seal right causing air the pressurize the system...but it the motor doesnt smoke up at all, and my oil is still that golden color it should be...

any ideas? i might try to pull the cap off and start it up and see if it blows coolant out of the radiator when i try to start it up...

also when i had the motor apart i noticed that there wasnt a thermostat so i bought one from O'reily... any help would be great help to me as im suppose to get my car tuned and dynoed by Jordan at MAP performance this Friday at noon....thanks

Last edited by m0uaman; 09-28-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator hoses expanding, need help, have a tune & dyno session Friday

System has too much pressure somehow, so headgasket or rad cap IMO. Try a leakdown test or coolant system pressure test.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator hoses expanding, need help, have a tune & dyno session Friday

Shane is at DB Performance and Jordan is at MA Performamce.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da_dude
Shane is at DB Performance and Jordan is at MA Performamce.
sorry...thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m0uaman
okay so i finished putting my b16 back together now with brand new head gasket and arp head studs.

i went to go test drive it on 5lbs of boost and only took it to 5k cuz im running a base map. when i got back home after driving around for 10mins i saw coolant on the ground. i took a closer look and it was coming from the top radiator hose where it connects to the radiator.

i shut the car off and squeezed the hose and more coolant came out. the clamp is tight but i realized that both lower and upper hoses were hard and full of coolant, getting ready to burst...but luckily they are brand new hoses so they didn't...

i did a little research and they were saying its my head gasket and that it didnt seal right causing air the pressurize the system...but it the motor doesnt smoke up at all, and my oil is still that golden color it should be...

any ideas? i might try to pull the cap off and start it up and see if it blows coolant out of the radiator when i try to start it up...

also when i had the motor apart i noticed that there wasnt a thermostat so i bought one from O'reily... any help would be great help to me as im suppose to get my car tuned and dynoed by Shane at MAP performance this Friday at noon....thanks

-Talk to your tuner and tell him whats up.
-Bleed your cooling system
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a good rad cap then if the head gasket was bad it would push water out of the overflow. if it doesnt fill up the overflow then you need to ck and see if the hoses are the right size for your radiator. if you have a radiator for a non b series motor then the part you put the hose will be to small for the b series hoses. causing them to leak.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm ill try a radiator cap
Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled the cap off and no bubbles came from it
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might have overtighten your rad hose clamps that might have tored the hose causing the leak.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by QUICK8CIVIC
You might have overtighten your rad hose clamps that might have tored the hose causing the leak.
if i did that it would be leaking right now which it isn't only when the hoses are really pressurized it leaks
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bleed the coolant
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are no bubbles in the system
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

does the fan turn on? is the coolant circulating?

ive only seen hoses do that when its overpressurized or overheated

maybe rad cap is defective??
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fan works, coolant i think maybe not circulating, im going to pull out the thermostat and see if it still does it...cuz thats the only thing left...i used a rad cap off my buddys ef civic
Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a seized thermostat could also raise pressure and temperature.you haven't mentioned a rise in temp when in use thus the rad cap might be the culprit.check for the right pressure rating in your rad cap vs the amount of coolant you'll be using vs water.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is hard to say exactly what is going on. Here are some things I would check to verify your problem and come up with a solution.
-Do a cooling system pressure check ( as stated before by inspector01 )
-Do a headgasket test with a block checker fluid that detects exhaust gas present the cooling system.
-Make sure your therostat is in the correct way
-I have seen before where the fins on the water pump are corroded and just arriating the coolant and not circulating it.
-Make sure system is free of air, easy way is with a spill free funnel or letting car run with rad cap off, and fill as necessary

I would almost bet that you have blown headgasket, but there is only one way to find out.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had a similar problem with my turbo ls would over heat an swell hose turned out to be a warp head take the thermostat out an see what happens also did u install a new water pump
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"lower and upper hoses were hard "

your head isnt sealed to the block.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The head came off my old motor....I didn't have any problems with it before that...and the water pump is new...the block I have now has been decked so ill have to pull the head off and get it checked for warpage
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get the head an block checkthe problem lies some where there good luck
Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just asked a professional radiator guy and he told me its normal to get like that...i asked him if my head gasket wasnt sealed good and he said if it were that then id be getting bubbles or overflow into the reservoir, which that wasnt happening...he does this for a living so im going with his words
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude its not normal to leak antifreeze and both hose swell till they want to burst trust me its better safe than sorry
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you replaced the headgasket did you get the head resurfaced or just replace the gasket and slap the head back on?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by reddcoupe
dude its not normal to leak antifreeze and both hose swell till they want to burst trust me its better safe than sorry
only one hose leaked...the top one cuz its not on all the way and im not using the screw clamps...he told me to replace the clamp and i should be fine...
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bizzle5OH3
When you replaced the headgasket did you get the head resurfaced or just replace the gasket and slap the head back on?
i did not get the head resurfaced cuz it never had issues with leaking...i just slapped it on...it would of been the right thing to do yeah...

Quick Reply: radiator hoses expanding, need help, have a tune & dyno session Friday