Notices

GT3582 options as my first turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3582 options as my first turbo?

I'm new to turbos and I've decided that in the next few months I'll be going turbo. I've been looking at the GT3582 and saw on Full Race site that they have the GT3582R Twinscroll Turbo? I noticed that Forced Performance offers a GT3582 HTA.

Full Race:
http://www.full-race.com/catal...69103

Forced Performance:
http://store.forcedperformance...82HTA

I'm fairly new to turbos and was wondering which would be a better choice? Or are they the same?

If I'm going to do a turbo setup I don't want to get the smallest/cheapest possible and find out later that I want to upgrade later. I'm shooting for a 10 sec build (high hopes). Is this a good way to go? I did some research but didn't find all that much so please don't bash. Please point me to the right threads is possible. Thanks.

<U></U> <U></U>

By the way, my current motor setup is:

-1.8 LS Vtec. with 40over bore
-12.0:1 weisco pistons
-Eagle H-beam rods
-Ferera valves and retainers
-Type R head ported and polished
-Skunk stage 2 cams
-SRR cam gears
-DC header 4-1
-AEM 3" CAI
-Fluidyne radiator
-STR fuel rail
-Hondata S200
(i gotta rebuild...feel free to suggest)

Modified by Noch at 8:27 PM 8/7/2008
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bunch of views but no comments??
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (Noch)

I have had both the standard gt35r and forced performance's hta version. Both were used with atp turbo's divided .78 exhaust housing. Both turbos made 600 hp and 10.8 passes on my 2.0L gsr. The hta version spooled about 200rpm sooner but not much difference otherwise.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (boostismycrack)

Well its one or the other since the twin scroll is a t4 based housing. Do you know what you wanna do? t3?t4? Full-Races twin scroll will spool faster than the forced one.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking T4 housing but not totally convinced, after searching a bit I think a guy from an Evo forum bought the twin scroll and sent it to FP to get HTA...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/s...20155

but if HTA only spools 200rpm faster then i minus will go with the Full Race's twin scroll.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostismycrack)

Boost, whats your setup?? I'll be running it in a gutted EG.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at your current motor your pistons need to go asap. boost is not too fond of high compression period
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I'm done with all motor... so i'm changing to boost....if you got a decent recommendation please let me know. Prob going to go w/ CP pistons and Skunk Pro 1's .... hear good things about them.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
HT White Ops

manley turbo tuff rods, CP/wiseco pistons. get the tuner 1 cams not as harsh as the pro1's on your valvetrain and especially if your daily driving the bizznatch
Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm not even gonna lie. For a person going with their first turbo setup, you're going awfully all out in picking a high hp turbo, when you don't know if you need it. Just because you're hearing buzz words as "twin scroll" and "HTA" doesn't mean its the cat's *** that you believe that it is. You may want to give us a bit more in terms of what it is you're really wanting out of this car, especailly if you may not know what these terms mean. I mean seriously, even if 600-700whp is what you're looking for, there are a TON of other applications from both Garrett and Borg-Warner that you're not giving a look-see to see if they would work as well. You need more than just opinions from these two turbo applications. Considering that (I assume) you'll be replacing the pistons and rods and other internal components, please give us an idea as to what your new setup entails, before making possibly a $1600 mistake because you "heard" that these 2 turbos were the best. Do you know the pros and cons of these turbochargers, or any turbochargers for that matter?

Slow down haus.. Give us a breakdown of what you're planning on first. Please DO NOT give an E.T. as an indictor of power or purpose of the car, so you can get some seriously considered options and opinions

Modified by TheShodan at 10:47 PM 8/7/2008
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not even gonna lie. For a person going with their first turbo setup, you're going awfully all out in picking a high hp turbo, when you don't know if you need it. Just because you're hearing buzz words as "twin scroll" and "HTA" doesn't mean its the cat's *** that you believe that it is. You may want to give us a bit more in terms of what it is you're really wanting out of this car, especailly if you may not know what these terms mean. I mean seriously, even if 600-700whp is what you're looking for, there are a TON of other applications from both Garrett and Borg-Warner that you're not giving a look-see to see if they would work as well. You need more than just opinions from these two turbo applications. Considering that (I assume) you'll be replacing the pistons and rods and other internal components, please give us an idea as to what your new setup entails, before making a 1600 possible mistake because you "heard" that these 2 turbos were the best. Do you know the pros and cons of these turbochargers, or any turbochargers for that matter?

Slow down haus.. Give us a breakdown of what you're planning on first. Please DO NOT give an E.T. as an indictor of power or purpose of the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very well said. When people see a product hyped up they immediately jump on that particular bandwagon.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very well said. When people see a product hyped up they immediately jump on that particular bandwagon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

as my sig once said

"this is the forum of hype and non sense, either get with the bandwagon or leave "

to the OP: if you have your heart and money set on the 35r series of turbo, get the forced performance. just know that its not the only one capable of doing a job tho
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not even gonna lie. For a person going with their first turbo setup, you're going awfully all out in picking a high hp turbo, when you don't know if you need it. Just because you're hearing buzz words as "twin scroll" and "HTA" doesn't mean its the cat's *** that you believe that it is. You may want to give us a bit more in terms of what it is you're really wanting out of this car, especailly if you may not know what these terms mean. I mean seriously, even if 600-700whp is what you're looking for, there are a TON of other applications from both Garrett and Borg-Warner that you're not giving a look-see to see if they would work as well. You need more than just opinions from these two turbo applications. Considering that (I assume) you'll be replacing the pistons and rods and other internal components, please give us an idea as to what your new setup entails, before making possibly a $1600 mistake because you "heard" that these 2 turbos were the best. Do you know the pros and cons of these turbochargers, or any turbochargers for that matter?

Slow down haus.. Give us a breakdown of what you're planning on first. Please DO NOT give an E.T. as an indictor of power or purpose of the car, so you can get some seriously considered options and opinions

Modified by TheShodan at 10:47 PM 8/7/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input ....I'm not simply following the "Hype" but I just know i don't want anything thats cheap and i want something that will be good enough for me to push into higher HP down the road. I just don't want to finish it and be unsatisfied, hence a high HP turbo; If i'm going to build a turbo car, I minus will build a strong one....do it once and do it right....right? It probably won't turn out that way though. I'm just kinda bent on the 35R cause of its potential, but I'll sure look at whatever turbos you guys decide to suggest (i did look at a few of the BW S300 series i wanna say) but as I'm new and trying to read and research everything i can get my hands....and these days with the internet....that can be ALOT...so its hard to filter the good resources from the bad. Thanks again for the insight and honesty guys.

As far as what my setup will be...I'm still researching, but I've mentioned a few of the internals in the above threads. I will be sleeving the LS block or buy a new block all together as this is an older block (A1), and Walbro 255hp, RC 1000cc injectors should suffice. HP wise, 500-700 both track and street driving. Please ask me questions and give advice and what-not. I'm pretty much a sponge right now and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Modified by Noch at 3:34 AM 8/8/2008
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

research the gt35 killer aka borg warner S366 hell even the S362 is rockin
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tony, by gt35 killer, I hope your meaning better bang for buck.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">research the gt35 killer aka borg warner S366 hell even the S362 is rockin</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tony your riding the bandwagon?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Tony your riding the bandwagon? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no i was on the borg warner bandwagon back in late 2006 i was trying to convince people of them BEFORE the big names started using and testing them

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tony, by gt35 killer, I hope your meaning better bang for buck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no im not talking bang for the buck im talking sheer performance
Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah so regardless of whatever turbo i pick I'm considered bandwagoning. So like i said...i'm just looking at something that will be reliable in the 600 range with some room for pushing a bit more if I decide to in the future. The GT35 seemed to fit the bill either HTA or Twinscroll but I'm sure there are other turbos possibly even better options for me, hence this post. Thanks for the advice though...I'm reading up on the S366 now. And TheShodan is kind enough to help me a bit on the side as well.

Modified by Noch at 1:19 PM 8/10/2008
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah so regardless of whatever turbo i pick I'm considered bandwagoning. So like i said...i'm just looking at something that will be reliable in the 600 range with some room for pushing a bit more if I decide to in the future. The GT35 seemed to fit the bill either HTA or Twinscroll but I'm sure there are other turbos possibly even better options for me, hence this post. Thanks for the advice though...I'm reading up on the SC366 now. And TheShodan is kind enough to help me a bit on the side as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the bw S366 is the **** and you arent going to waste more money on coolant lines either. plus it can be upgraded with options and 700+whp is within reach
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

Give the info that Mac (TheShodan) suggested and take his advice when he gives it. He is one of the most knowledgeable turbo guys on this site.

Just out of curiosity, you stated earlier that your were "fairly new to turbos." How many turbo hondas have you built, owned or driven? And when I say driven I don't mean raped an onramp or mashed it between stoplights. I'm talkin more like wound it out from 1st through 3rd?? Just sayin 600whp is a LOT of power if you have never driven a high hp turbo honda much less a low-med hp turbo honda.