Notices

Pictures/Advice Needed on AC Compatible Ramhorn & RR Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Pictures/Advice Needed on AC Compatible Ramhorn & RR Manifolds

I'll try to keep this short. Pictures would be very helpful so I can see how fitment works with these.

My goal is to have an AC compatible ram horn that still allows for the use of a radiator shroud/fan on the side of the engine bay (so a "puller" fan, not push).

My original plan was just to use either the Full-Race AC Ramhorn kit or the Go-Autoworks, but I've noticed in a lot of photos (especially of FR), people don't seem to have room for a shroud/fan on their radiator as the compressor housing of the turbo is too close. I'm now also considering the "RR" kit from Go Autoworks as if the ramhorn kits are too tight, I think the RR manifold would provide more space.

Ideally I'd like to use either the FR or GA ramhorn kit along with a GTX3076R and a 3" downpipe. I want to use this with the GA Radiator/Fan/Shroud combo (see GO-AUTOWORKS Aluminum Radiator Slim fan Combo D16 B16 B18 H22 F20B H2B and GO-AUTOWORKS Aluminum Radiator Shroud Slim Fan)

Basically, I just don't want to have super tight fitment issues with the kit. I don't want to have barely millimeters of space to work with.

If anyone has pictures of these kits installed with a proper radiator/fan/shroud setup I would appreciate it. Especially of the RR kit, as I've hardly seen any photos of that one. RR is currently my backup plan, I'd prefer a ramhorn if possible for better top end.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Pictures/Advice Needed on AC Compatible Ramhorn & RR Manifolds

I know you're asking for photo examples, and hopefully you get some , but I'll get right to the point.

There's no choice about fitment to what you're limiting to. You're going to have a very tight fit, due to the very nature of these components. Include with that, the room needed to run the proper water fitting lines for the GT turbocharger you plan to use.
Honestly, you're asking for a lot with an 8" T04 Sized compressor cover. Check you're goals again. For a GTX3076R, a Kooks-"Ramhorn" isn't really needed, although many 1st timers want "the look" of these systems to work perfectly with their A/C units (which wind up dying anyway due to the compressor just not able to deal with the heat soak that the "Ramhorn" presents.

Try this one instead (S-Race) kit.. Much, much better option.

GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra H22 F20B D16 B16 B18

Old 09-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I know you're asking for photo examples, and hopefully you get some , but I'll get right to the point.
There's no choice about fitment to what you're limiting to. You're going to have a very tight fit, .....

..... Try this one instead (S-Race) kit.. Much, much better option.
GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra H22 F20B D16 B16 B18
Thanks Shodan, and yeah I think you're right. I've been reading/researching a lot; it looks like I'll almost certainly have to use a "push" fan if I wanted to go with a ramhorn setup.

The kit you linked to isn't AC compatible, however I know their new(ish) "RR" kit is, and I think that one would provide a bit more room. It also costs about $1300 less than the Full-Race ramhorn kit with all the options tricked out, and about $600 less than the ramhorn kit from Go Autoworks.

If anyone has any pics of the Go Autoworks RR manifold/kit installed I'd love to see it. This is currently looking like my best option right now if I want to avoid as many headaches as possible with heat soak and installation clearances.

Edit: Also just as a sidenote for anyone else that reads this, the "RR" kit that I'm talking about is basically the exact same one that Shodan linked me, just with a side-welded wastegate flange for condenser clearance on AC. The RR kit also mounts the turbo with the compressor side facing the passenger, S Race kit mounts compressor side against driver I think.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Thanks Shodan, and yeah I think you're right. I've been reading/researching a lot; it looks like I'll almost certainly have to use a "push" fan if I wanted to go with a ramhorn setup.

The kit you linked to isn't AC compatible, however I know their new(ish) "RR" kit is, and I think that one would provide a bit more room. It also costs about $1300 less than the Full-Race ramhorn kit with all the options tricked out, and about $600 less than the ramhorn kit from Go Autoworks.

If anyone has any pics of the Go Autoworks RR manifold/kit installed I'd love to see it. This is currently looking like my best option right now if I want to avoid as many headaches as possible with heat soak and installation clearances.

Edit: Also just as a sidenote for anyone else that reads this, the "RR" kit that I'm talking about is basically the exact same one that Shodan linked me, just with a side-welded wastegate flange for condenser clearance on AC. The RR kit also mounts the turbo with the compressor side facing the passenger, S Race kit mounts compressor side against driver I think.
You can e-mail and ask about the RR kit with the wastegate flange on the other side. Don't just go by the photos.. contact them.

Because they're there. Forget the photo. They have the description

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gorrtuma.html

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine u have?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can e-mail and ask about the RR kit with the wastegate flange on the other side. Don't just go by the photos.. contact them.

Because they're there. Forget the photo. They have the description

GO-AUTOWORKS RR Turbo Manifold AC Compatible D16 B16 B18 Civic Integra Del Sol Mini Ram

So, yeah, they messed up on the photo and mounted the turbo the wrong way, but I've seen the correct ones done by them, so you're ok.
Yeah, I actually sent an email to Greg yesterday about the ramhorn and he already responded. I'm honestly not nearly as worried about the RR manifold as I'm pretty positive even with the oversized GTX compressor housing it will sit a lot further away from the radiator/shroud since the turbo flange on the manifold isn't clocked at an angle like it is on all AC Ramhorns.

Also, I think in that photo the turbo may have been turned the right way. I know on the non-AC ramhorns the compressor faces the driver, on AC it's passenger. It may be the same for the S Race/RR kits (I don't really even think it matters though. Judging by the shape of the DP though I think this is the case).

Originally Posted by B and B
What engine u have?
The kit will go on a Laskey/Benson B18C.

Anyway, if anyone has pics that'd be cool to see, but otherwise I'm pretty set on the RR kit now. I think it will work out pretty great!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Also, I think in that photo the turbo may have been turned the right way. I know on the non-AC ramhorns the compressor faces the driver, on AC it's passenger. It may be the same for the S Race/RR kits (I don't really even think it matters though. Judging by the shape of the DP though I think this is the case).
After seeing it again right after I posted the image, you are right. It's not very optimal at all for the wastegate dumptube to be placed so close the compressor backplate and CHRA (additional heat), but I'm sure some heat wrap will help a bit.

Here's one of my old setups with an A/C compatible Kooks manifold with a T04S cover, and it was NOT easy, and it's a mock-up. Perhaps that will help you with your photo search.

Please note: there is no intention to advertise in anyway. These are the only photos I have available that show how much grinding has to be done on A/C compatible Kooks-"Ramhorn" manifolds when using certain sizes. Also note how the power steering bracket must be cut to fit the back runner. This one had the spacing to run water lines, but you must run a banjo-bolt style water line in order for it to fit properly. Othwerwise, you'll have HORRIBLE difficulty fitting a 90* elbow styled fitting. It can be done, but a PITA if I've ever dealt with an exhaust manifold.

It was easier to keep a pull style fan with a 4 bolt turbine housing vs a 5 bolt one, which really affected spacing for the condensor fan.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's one of my old setups with an A/C compatible Kooks manifold with a T04S cover...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/IMAG0021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/IMAG0022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/IMAG0023.jpg

It was easier to keep a pull style fan with a 4 bolt turbine housing vs a 5 bolt one, which really affected spacing for the condensor fan.
Thanks for the help Shodan, and those pics are nice. The manifold definitely looks awesome once it's installed, but I really don't want to deal with more hassle on fitment and heat pockets than I have to.

My previous car was a turbo S2000, and I did a custom turbo kit using a top mount log manifold, and that was much harder to manage than I thought it would be due to the engine bay layout on those cars and how the engine sits against the firewall. Eventually I got everything settled in, but I'm not keen on repeating that mistake. Blows my mind that some people (rarely) try to run ramhorns on S2K's. The only turbo manifold that belongs on an S2000 is a forward facing one IMO.

It'll be awhile until my powerplant is fully built/tuned, but I'll be sure to post results for the RR kit once the engine is broken in and we have some dyno runs. I'm building from the ground up though (car is currently in a paint booth) so it may be awhile.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I second the miniram style manifold. Will make all the power you want and probably deliver better off throttle characteristics and minimal top end power loss.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the help Shodan, and those pics are nice. The manifold definitely looks awesome once it's installed, but I really don't want to deal with more hassle on fitment and heat pockets than I have to.

My previous car was a turbo S2000, and I did a custom turbo kit using a top mount log manifold, and that was much harder to manage than I thought it would be due to the engine bay layout on those cars and how the engine sits against the firewall. Eventually I got everything settled in, but I'm not keen on repeating that mistake. Blows my mind that some people (rarely) try to run ramhorns on S2K's. The only turbo manifold that belongs on an S2000 is a forward facing one IMO..
Well, that depends upon the use and purpose. What the majority of S2K users use when it comes to that top mount log manifold, is they don't expect to be taking it apart very frequently. It's usually a "set it and forget it", type of thing. Please remember, circuit racers don't want "forward facing" manifolds, as it places way too much stress on the turbocharger being exposed to open air, the heat that these manifolds deal with for extended periods of time, the powerband their looking for , etc. Not every turbo S2K wants "10s".

So, you can't go with that logic on FWD retrofit platforms, as they are a different animal. What's easier on one platform, isn't easier to deal with on another. Please take into account your purpose when finally making a manifold decision. This is why we're recommending something other than a Kooks-styled manifold.

Check out the FAQs in grey about "which manifold is for me?" you'll see the different styles and why they were designed that way, and not just "because race car".
Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

My previous car was a turbo S2000, and I did a custom turbo kit using a top mount log manifold, and that was much harder to manage than I thought it would be due to the engine bay layout on those cars and how the engine sits against the firewall. Eventually I got everything settled in, but I'm not keen on repeating that mistake. Blows my mind that some people (rarely) try to run ramhorns on S2K's. The only turbo manifold that belongs on an S2000 is a forward facing one IMO.

It'll be awhile until my powerplant is fully built/tuned, but I'll be sure to post results for the RR kit once the engine is broken in and we have some dyno runs. I'm building from the ground up though (car is currently in a paint booth) so it may be awhile.
Well...how'd the RR manifold go? Did you move this to another thread?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B00STD
Well...how'd the RR manifold go? Did you move this to another thread?
This project has taken a back seat to others and has been moving slowly. I've done a lot of work on the chassis, suspension, interior, and transmission, but still don't have a powerplant for this car.

Plans have changed somewhat since I made this thread.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the update, not much info out there on the RR manifold which is why I was asking. Good luck on your build!