Notices

overboosted by mistake

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overboosted by mistake

i was tuned for and run 0.7kg/cm2 to 0.75kg/cm2 - thats around 10psi

i was messing around w/ boost controller gain settings (lately my car has been loosing boost at hight rpm).. i set the numbers too high, hit the throttle and ended up going 0.92kg/cm2 for at leats 5-6 seconds.. i guess about 4psi over regular level?

is there any harm in that? i car is running same btw
Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: overboosted by mistake (vtec.dc2)

If you can't tell that anything was hurt, no, theres no harm.

If you're asking a question like this, though, I would like to ask what you are using to tune...

More boost just generally means more heat and pressure in your cylinders. Too much heat causes knock, or full on detonation, both conditions which, if sustained will melt your pistons, gauranteed.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overboosted by mistake (Still_Good)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Still_Good &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can't tell that anything was hurt, no, theres no harm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think thats a pretty lame answer, just cuz he didnt notice his motor blowing up or some funny noise like a spun bearing doesnt mean that he didnt do damage to his motor, how many times do people put their cars on a dyno and say **** my car has been detonating for some time now, do u think there going to hear that from inside the car . the likley answer is that your motor could have seen some detonation but like most cases you didnt notice it, with which ever basemap you are running there most likley isnt enough fuel compensation for an extra 4+psi through the rpm band. i would say go easy on the motor if its stock, if its built you have less to worry about, but stock ringlands etc, they dont tend to like high heat from extra boost and lean a/r levels JMO
Old 09-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overboosted by mistake (urbansi)

motor has forged pistons and rods, tuned w/ hondata.. lately i noticed the boost level would drop at top end, i played around with scamble feature and i think its not dropping anymore, but unfortunately ended up overboosting at one time, i've gone to 0.86kg/cm2 last year when vacuum line went loose, so its still running, but this one is a bit more and for longer time.. i guess my question is.. if there wasnt' enough fuel, is it enough to cause damage?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stop guessing a do a compression and leakdown test
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was tuned for and run 0.7kg/cm2 to 0.75kg/cm2 - thats around 10psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

First weekend I had my car, the banjo bolt on the wastegate came loose, and I ran a little over a bar for about half a lap (compared to the .6 bar I was tuned for).

Don't worry about it. Even if you DID fugg something up, well, too late now

-Chris
Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Even if you planned on running 10psi, your tuner should have tuned it at a higher psi and then limit it to 10psi, for these kinds of situation you are having.... That way you know you would still be safe and covered by the map if you accidentally overboosted. What standalone is it?

If you are not blowing smoke out your exhaust (ie, when shifting), then the damage done, if any, would be minor.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stop guessing a do a compression and leakdown test</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hate quoting myself.

please do this! at LEAST to a compression test but you should really do everything. It is easy, quick and inexpensive even if you have to buy the tools to do it or even if you are lazy enough to have a shop do it.

tools to do it yourself = ~$45 at most!

cost to have a shop do it = ~$200 at a stealership, $100 tops at a independent shop

having peace of mind = PRICELESS!

Knowing=

unsure= you hate to drive you car. i know mine was like this lol

P.S. the "untuned" portion of your map (higher psi than you are running) should be super safe and conservative, a boost cut is a must also!