Notices

Turbo set up running with no Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo set up running with no Thermostat

Hi every one,

I'm having some issues with excess of engine heat, I replaced my thermostat as i thought it was bad, since my Smanager showed a rise in Temp. I have my fan control to operate at 180F keeping Temps at 190-195F this time it triggered my warning at 220F. stop as soon as i could, and let the motor to cool down, in the mean time I check both rad, hoses and upper was hot and lower was cool. so I suspect my thermostat was dead, Although I knew Honda OEM when fail it would fail in the open position and not the close position, anyway, I replaced it with a new honda Thermostat, but before i did, I test them both, and Both open old one a tad less but nothing that matters.

Anyway so I had the thermostat replaced, and no overheating issue til yesterday, that again temps rise to 212F so I stop the car, same deal upper hose hot bottom cool. Both situations happened while the car was Park engine running, I did some pulls, so after 10-15 min of normal driving once i Stopped the car, waiting for a red light, car started to overheat, this time the thermostat lasted 1 or 2 days. before the temps were up again, so having the upper hose hot and bottom cold suggest the thermostat is not open

So Today, i took the thermostat off, as i suspect my water pump was bad or had a blown HG, anyway I thought temp would not go past 180, so while i was bleeding the system noticed they were around 179F, so i decided to go and test it, did some pulls and temps were around 182F so i set my fan control to sitch the fan at 185F instead of 180F, this time ECT were from 183 to 190F through the several pulls i did,

Since I'm getting ECT to 185F would it be okay if I run my car with no Thermostat? there is a drag event on sunday and I do not want to put another new honda thermostat to have it fail and ruin my track day,

I know for sure both thermostats work, but when in place they won't open for an unknown reason,

I checked for leaks, replaced my Rad cap, bleed the system yet, the thermostat wouldn't open,

What do you guys think, is ok to run it with no thermostat>? what would it be the issue with the thermostat that wouldn't open

Thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo set up running with no Thermostat

Did you replace your radiator cap for a new one? It seems that that's the issue here.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do not run with out a thermostat it keeps the engine at optimal temps...pm sent about a electric water pump kit I have for sale off my race car.

david
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree. Run the thermostat and check the radiator cap. If not, you may already have a compromised headgasket that may need replacement. this isn't an iron block you can just do that with. You WILL compromise the engine.

Hold off on going to anymore events until you solve this. You're not winning prize money or a sponsorship, and you'll do nothing but add costs trying to tow home... Show patience.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for the feedback, will chase the Issue, as suggested.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue years ago before I turbocharged my car. The water pump was to blame in my case. The only issue I found with it was it spun really free there was no resistance on the gear. The new water pump had resistance I.E I spun the new one and it stopped where the old one would keep spinning. Good Luck
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same issue with my turbo b16,thermostat not opening inside the engine but worked fine wen i boiled them in hot water,turns out that the hose that was connected to my thermostat housing at the back of the engine was not routed properly.Because of this i ran my car without a thermostat for a while until i found the problem,i live in jamaica tho.So check you water hose routes and see if they are routed properly.