Notices

Ideas for filter/inlet pipe routing on EF/CRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:14 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Ideas for filter/inlet pipe routing on EF/CRX

Currently my filter is mated directly to the compressor inlet. It works, but I am drawing in hot air right next to the manifold and turbo in a heat soaked engine bay, so my IAT's are getting up to the 140's at times. I would like to make an inlet tube to relocate the filter away from all the heat.

Question: My filter is right up against this boxed in frame member. How terrible an idea is it to blow through this with a 3" hole saw to run a tube through and put my filter on the other side?

I can't go up with the inlet pipe because that is where my charge pipe goes. Only other option is to try to route it down below the frame and back up, but this would get very complicated and tight. Where as if I could go through the chassis like shown below, it would just be a straight pipe.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Ideas for filter/inlet pipe routing on EF/CRX

There isn't a photo attached.

Putting a hole in the lower frame rail, inserting a sleeve, and welding it back up sounds like it would be an ideal option.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:42 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks

Putting a hole in the lower frame rail, inserting a sleeve, and welding it back up sounds like it would be an ideal option.
Weird, the photo is showing up for me, I used the HT uploader. But if I go to edit my post and try to re-upload it, it won't show up. I'll try posting it below.

Yeah having a sleeve welded back in would be nice. But I have no welder or fabricator that I work with currently. That is why I am wondering if there would be structural concerns with just having the hole there. Sounds like there might be. I will look into other ways I can route things to try to relocate my filter.

Edit: Uploader still not working.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoworks

I don't think all of that work is necessary. I know that some people that like the idea of cutting into a frame (I've always thought of this as a bad idea due to structural integrity, and maintenance would be shoddy at best)
I think that with all of the room that's underneath that turbocharger, there is plenty of air that can be had there. A simple 45* or even 90* extended coupler with the filter at the end of that coupler would be all that is needed to get the cooler air (or at least not hotter ambient temp engine bay air) to enter the filter. Plus, it would allow the filter to last THAT much longer over time.

Creating a distance off of the filter into the inlet of the turbocharger actually increases initial airflow ingestion and helps with the airflow conversion process of the compressor wheel. But please remember, this is not NA, so a true CAI system isn't needed for compressor wheel air induction; that airflow that is being pressurized is already going to be over 200*F as it's converted. (Conversion/pressurization creates heat, and its the job of the intercooler to cool the charge air enough to affect its entrance into the combustion chamber.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I don't think all of that work is necessary. I know that some people that like the idea of cutting into a frame (I've always thought of this as a bad idea due to structural integrity, and maintenance would be shoddy at best)
I think that with all of the room that's underneath that turbocharger, there is plenty of air that can be had there. A simple 45* or even 90* extended coupler with the filter at the end of that coupler would be all that is needed to get the cooler air (or at least not hotter ambient temp engine bay air) to enter the filter. Plus, it would allow the filter to last THAT much longer over time.

Creating a distance off of the filter into the inlet of the turbocharger actually increases initial airflow ingestion and helps with the airflow conversion process of the compressor wheel. But please remember, this is not NA, so a true CAI system isn't needed for compressor wheel air induction; that airflow that is being pressurized is already going to be over 200*F as it's converted. (Conversion/pressurization creates heat, and its the job of the intercooler to cool the charge air enough to affect its entrance into the combustion chamber.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I was thinking I will look into a 90° bend down with a short pipe to the filter, depending on how much space there is. Once the filter is moved, I could create an aluminum shield or shroud to separate the hot air from the filter, or not necessary?

Also, does the size of pipe to the inlet matter at all? I have a 3" inlet, but my filter will accept up to 4" pipe so I was thinking I could use a reducer elbow.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Thanks for the input. Yeah I was thinking I will look into a 90° bend down with a short pipe to the filter, depending on how much space there is. Once the filter is moved, I could create an aluminum shield or shroud to separate the hot air from the filter, or not necessary?

Also, does the size of pipe to the inlet matter at all? I have a 3" inlet, but my filter will accept up to 4" pipe so I was thinking I could use a reducer elbow.
You don't need a full shield or shroud from the filter. Again, you have a turbocharger , and is not NA, and that air is going to be reheated anyway by the conversion process. The key is that the air being converted is that it is not already hotter than when it's being converted. You don't need a 30 degree temp drop to achieve that. Just K.I.S.S.

A small reducer going from 4" down to 3" as an entry isn't going to matter.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The pic is now showing up. I too would agree to just use a 90 degree bend and angle the filter downward in this case (and /or add in a heat shield of sorts to separate the nearest runner from the filter area)