Notices

n/a cam in vitara d16 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n/a cam in vitara d16 turbo

So like the title says I have decided to go with the crower stage 2 n/a cam in my turbo d16. Reason being I want that out of boost power a n/a cam gives you.

My setup:
D16y8 76mm vitara pistons
Hastings rings
Eagle h- beams
Crower stg 2 n/a cam
Z6 crank
.57 trim turbonetics intercooled
3" full straight exhaust dumps out rear
600cc injectors fed by walbro 255
P28 on hondata

My question is has anyone had experience with n/a cams in boost setups. If so id like to hear the benefits and negatives of this set up. Comparisons even. I'm not going back to stock so don't mention it. Just wanna know if my research has proved right. This is a 400hp goal car keep in mind also. Experience guys not guesses saying turbo for turbo and na for na cuz for high hp cars na cams work great in boosted cats. She's hitting the dyno in February but wana get some experience backed info. Thanks all u guys in advance.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get out of boost na power with high comp pistons. Most after market cams dont start making power till above the 4k rpm range. By then you should already be seeing boost.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n/a cam in vitara d16 turbo

Thanks for the reply. I would love to run higher c/r but by the time she hits 22-26lbs my c/r is out the roof even with these low comp. vitaras. I know there's guys out there swearing by these n/a cams in boost cars. Just wanna get sum feedback good or bad. I know it causes by boost to come on about 200rpms later but that's the only downside to it I've noticed.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on guys. 84 views and 1 response. Please gimme some input on the crower stg 2 n/a cam in my d16 vitara/eagle. Or maybe regarding the cam gear to make up for excessive overlap? Any helps appreciated.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boost doesnt change the compression ration of your pistons. a higher compression build will make the same power at less boost. the whole low compression thing is old school. with good fuel and a good tuner there is no reason to run compression that low anymore. my next rebuild will probably be 11 to 1.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would not get a cam with that low static compression. i know its frustrating i had a vitara/eagle z6 a while back. the way around it is to add back some timing in vacuum. on the dyno my vitara wanted almost a uncomfortable amount of timing. i bet you can run at least a few degrees more than the stock map in vacuum with no detonation. a cam with any amount of overlap is going to bleed out even more cylinder pressure. a cam gear may be able to compensate a bit but i still wouldnt recommend it. camming that motor will be doing the exact opposite of what you want.

another way around it is gearing. closer gearing will help acceleration and offset the lazy feeling out of boost
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hardcore 97: I'm trying to go low comp cuz with the high comp there's a alot less room for error. That's where you saying a good tuner is needed I just don't wana run that high of comp. As it makes me Leary.

Blackeg: Ur information makes sense of it all. I do have the arm tru-time to compensate. My question for you is do you think it's costing me power over the stock y8 cam? Or will I still make more power with the n\a cam than the y8?
Old 12-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10:1 compression and less boost leaves no less "room for error" than 7:1 and boost through the roof. Modern tuning technology have done away with the "margin of error" stigma high comp builds have with the garbage piggy back junk people used to run.

Now, 10-11:1 comp is standard on boosted builds.
With that low of compression, cams would ruin your car out of boost.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
.....another way around it is gearing. closer gearing will help acceleration and offset the lazy feeling out of boost
Very truth for even drag racing. ...or go with smaller turbo to spool up faster and loosing the chance of hitting the "400whp" goal.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
10:1 compression and less boost leaves no less "room for error" than 7:1 and boost through the roof. Modern tuning technology have done away with the "margin of error" stigma high comp builds have with the garbage piggy back junk people used to run.

Now, 10-11:1 comp is standard on boosted builds.
With that low of compression, cams would ruin your car out of boost.
Indeed. When I told my domestic garage mechanic/co-worker that I'm building a 10:1 comp supercharger, his reaction was: "No,no,no. your motor will detonate and burns holes in your little Honda pistons".
Old 12-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cams like compression. Hell, motors in general like compression. More compression means better VE, and better VE means more power and more gas mileage. Up to the limits of available fuel, more compression is better. The only reason to build a Vitara setup nowadays is if you are literally too broke for a set of Eagles and Supertechs.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I have a d16 in my coupe with eagles and supertechs making 438whp so It ain't about money bro. I built a eagle\vitata setup cuz it holds way more power than I'm aiming for in my street car. There's a difference between being broke and being smart. High comp plus high boost equals race fuel like my coupe. Not interested in race gas for a car that sees the street regularly. Anyway the topic is has anybody had experience with n/a cam in boosted cars not high or low comp cuz I have both.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Actually I have a d16 in my coupe with eagles and supertechs making 438whp so It ain't about money bro. I built a eagle\vitata setup cuz it holds way more power than I'm aiming for in my street car. There's a difference between being broke and being smart. High comp plus high boost equals race fuel like my coupe. Not interested in race gas for a car that sees the street regularly. Anyway the topic is has anybody had experience with n/a cam in boosted cars not high or low comp cuz I have both.
High comp and boost doesn't equal race gas. POWER GOAL=Pump vs race gas.

380hp, 250wtq with high comp and lower boost= same cylinder pressure as 380hp 250wtq with low comp and high boost.

Cylinder pressure (torque) dictates whether or not pump gas is enough (as I understand it)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 PM

11 posts, stepping in here acting like you know everything. We, as a collective, know more than you could even imagine. When multiple people are ALL telling you the same thing, and you're the only person disagreeing, maybe it's time for you to stop posting, and start reading.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

High comp and HIGH boost equals pump gas from experience. I have a race gas car and that's why I'm building this pump gas motor again looking for experience from people who ran or run n/a cam in boost setup and the pros and cons. That's it
Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just cause I'm new to the site means nothing. Which person answered the question asked. Nobody. This isn't a I know more contest just a simple question for some people with experience with this setup not that I should run high comp
Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Plenty of us have answered your question. You're too busy trying to force us to believe that your falsehoods are correct to realize that.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What cam would be my best bet in yals opinion then? I'll sell the crower if its gonna kill my setup
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crower 2 is a great cam for a boosted D16. Rocket motorsports makes some really badass billet cams as well.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I also want yal to understand this motor is complete and in the car on a basemap til my dyno session in Feb so I just wana make sure this n/a cam is gonna kill my power level if so ill go to another cam yal recommend. I'm here for experienced help on vitara builds
Old 12-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bgdriver: So u think ill do well with this n/a crower 2?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine with a crower cam. If you decide to swap to another camshaft, do some research before you do, go with a proven company. Rocket does not sell true billet camshafts, FYI. A true billet would each a rocker arm in minutes,
Old 12-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot ddtech and bgdriver for answering the question I needed to know. Seems like this site does have a lot of good info but others want to get in a pissin contest about things that have nothing to do with the op question. I asked about a cam and was damn near told to pull my motor that has zero miles on it, tear it down and put high Comp pistons in it. Oh and dont forget im broke for having vitaras lol, couldn't just be that they were perfect for my power goal. If I wanted another high comp build I would've done that. Just hope other peoples questions stay on topic.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Thanks alot ddtech and bgdriver for answering the question I needed to know. Seems like this site does have a lot of good info but others want to get in a pissin contest about things that have nothing to do with the op question. I asked about a cam and was damn near told to pull my motor that has zero miles on it, tear it down and put high Comp pistons in it. Oh and dont forget im broke for having vitaras lol, couldn't just be that they were perfect for my power goal. If I wanted another high comp build I would've done that. Just hope other peoples questions stay on topic.
your definition of high comp is not the same as ours. i make 500+ whp on pump e85. and i will run higher compression when it gets rebuilt. makes the same power on LESS boost, is much responsive out of boost, etc. the benefits far outway any "cons" that you are making up. if your tuner isn't competent enough to do a decent job, you need a new tuner. not run super low compression and tons more boost because someone told you its safer
Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I 100% get what you're saying. I'm talking single cams here and again I have a eagle\supertech high comp motor in my toy and have to run race gas to reach my hp goal again in a single cam. Not to mention its too much power in or out boost for the street cuz it blows the tires off the car. That's why I put this car together as a street car with low comp. Hoping to hook up better in low gear.

Quick Reply: n/a cam in vitara d16 turbo