Notices

My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:38 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
like i said, havent used a gasket in years on that flange never had a leak.
Well this is how I got the turbocharger. I didn't know I had a choice.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Flr Power
Yes no gasket when you have something small machined this flat.

But why did you not get a t31 v band exhaust?
Because not all turbine wheels will fit that housing. It would have had to have been specifically machined to fit.

Dave didn't have a choice then or now.
There was no other option for that without a conversion flange, for that size exhaust wheel for the power he plans to make.

Even Sheepy got a few recently..

New options for it are becoming available, but would require a change of turbine inlet. It would be v-band in/v-band out using TiAL flanging

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-27-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:46 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Because not all turbine wheels will fit that housing. It would have had to have been specifically machined to fit.

Dave didn't have a choice then or now.
There was no other option for that without a conversion flange, for that size exhaust wheel for the power he plans to make.

Even Sheepy got a few recently..

New options for it are becoming available, but would require a change of turbine inlet. It would be v-band in/v-band out using TiAL flanging
Yeah I am not worried about it! I gonna make some power!!
Old 03-28-2016, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
With your guy's logic then we don't need to use exhaust manifold gaskets, flange gaskets, or even headgaskets for that matter right? The tolerance isn’t that great on them... I have had my fair share of them and had issues with them leaking in the past be it quality, cheap, stainless ones, etc... below is a pic of a few leftovers I have. As suggested, the "correct" way to do it would be to just use a V-band in the first place.

I keep forgetting I am not posting anymore LOL... tsk tsk... toodles.
Weld a Vband flange on like how Full-race and even Garrett did on their new GTW series turbos.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
Weld a Vband flange on like how Full-race and even Garrett did on their new GTW series turbos.
Garrett didn't do that. ATPTurbo did that for themselves. (They just happened to put Garrett's name on it. And even then, they don't sell the turbine housing separately to the public).

Last edited by TheShodan; 04-02-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Okay so I ordered the banjo adapter kit, but mine don't fit????
ordered the Banjo Fitting Kit - 14mm With -6 AN Male Flare

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Well. Two things come to mind.

1) You don't have a Ball-bearing version of the Reaper, however you did pick up a GT/ball bearing banjo fitting water line fitting kit. You should have used the same water fittings, lines, restrictor and other equipment that you had on your Silver surfer. They fit just like in your previous build, so that you would save some cost.

The banjo fittings for water lines are for Ball-bearing / GT series turbochargers that use a 14mm to -6AN conversion fitting, be it standard or banjo style. These banjo style fittings don't come in 3/8NPT to -6AN for journal bearing turbos, because there's plenty of room to use a 90* elbow for the fitting. Just like from your Surfer.

2) Even if you DID have a 3/8NPT to -6AN Banjo style fitting, you'd have an immediate leak Because you have both gaskets on one end.

The copper gaskets are to go on each end of the banjo fitting. Not with both cooper gaskets on one side of the banjo fitting against the banjo bolt.

Use the same fittings and configuration as you had with your Surfer, in order for this to work properly.

Hopefully, that ends your confusion..
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 AM
No-Traction = Fun

hahaha, come on Mac you know im smarter than that, I was just holding the fitting there for a picture. I dont have any of the old hardware from the surfer. So thats why i was buying new stuff. So I need 2 3/8NPT to -6AN fitting right.

Well. Two things come to mind.

1) You don't have a Ball-bearing version of the Reaper, however you did pick up a GT/ball bearing banjo fitting water line fitting kit. You should have used the same water fittings, lines, restrictor and other equipment that you had on your Silver surfer. They fit just like in your previous build, so that you would save some cost.

The banjo fittings for water lines are for Ball-bearing / GT series turbochargers that use a 14mm to -6AN conversion fitting, be it standard or banjo style. These banjo style fittings don't come in 3/8NPT to -6AN for journal bearing turbos, because there's plenty of room to use a 90* elbow for the fitting. Just like from your Surfer.

2) Even if you DID have a 3/8NPT to -6AN Banjo style fitting, you'd have an immediate leak Because you have both gaskets on one end.

The copper gaskets are to go on each end of the banjo fitting. Not with both cooper gaskets on one side of the banjo fitting against the banjo bolt.

Use the same fittings and configuration as you had with your Surfer, in order for this to work properly.

Hopefully, that ends your confusion..
Old 04-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDad
hahaha, come on Mac you know im smarter than that, I was just holding the fitting there for a picture. I dont have any of the old hardware from the surfer. So thats why i was buying new stuff. So I need 2 3/8NPT to -6AN fitting right.
Hey, listen. I've got guys with over 190 IQ, who can't change a flat tire. It's all about exposure and experience. So, I only go by what photos are presented. I neither assume, nor presume anything.

But yes, that was that was the point of the post. you'll need the same equipment as you did the surfer. There is no banjo-bolt style water fitting available in a 3/8NPT. You'll need to go traditional style with the 90* elbows.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
No-Traction = Fun

Hey, listen. I've got guys with over 190 IQ, who can't change a flat tire. It's all about exposure and experience. So, I only go by what photos are presented. I neither assume, nor presume anything.

But yes, that was that was the point of the post. you'll need the same equipment as you did the surfer. There is no banjo-bolt style water fitting available in a 3/8NPT. You'll need to go traditional style with the 90* elbows.

Yup gotcha!!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

After reading this novel of a build thread, I commend you on your efforts and perseverance! Through all of it, you paid so much attention to detail it killed you. Each grenade event was caused by the simplest of mistakes:
Build 1 - sleeves should have been installed 1st and foremost on anything you were looking to achieve over 200whp. I am surprised you didn't sleeve the block.
Build 2 - Equipment fail-safe and lack of judgement. Although the lack of judgement didn't really pan out entirely, you were on your way to not only grenading your engine, but the turbo as well. What fella would even contemplate a minimum commute of 160 miles in the desert without water cooling his snail? This was also after giving the go ahead to add when discussing whether or not to add the feature possibility with the builder? And no turbo timer? Tsk Tsk.
Build 3 - Why would you not have thought AUTOMATICALLY the cams were the issue? Those were the only possibility at that point after you tested over and again your vtec. Then the chaos that ensued surrounding bad tune(r), mechanical time, etc. You degreed them multiple times, they did not want to work for ya but so many others with similar setups they would work perfectly. I have seen many times where one upgrade that person 1 has did not work for person 2. It is what it is. IMHO the tuner did play a large part there as well as he should not only be able to tune these monsters, he should also understand GREATLY the science behind the upgrades and should have an basic understanding of what could be going on when a run goes **** up. If they understand how to tune, they should also understand WHAT AND WHY.
Final successful dyno tune: Why would somebody that pays such attention to detail want to build for beast mode but not upgrade axles? (I was nearly in tears when each break occurred, but I seriously LOL'd at the axles)

K.I.S.S. was repeated so many times and with each tear down, you went ***** deep in so many aspects it was almost comical! I'm almost positive I don't want to know how much was spent on this since its conception (I AM positive you wouldn't want CaliforniaMom to know for sure or you'd probably find yourself sleeping on CaliforniaCouch for an extended bit.) What many would debate is that you could have easily reached your first couple set goals for a fraction of what you spent. I've seen 500whp setups for
Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
After reading this novel of a build thread, I commend you on your efforts and perseverance! Through all of it, you paid so much attention to detail it killed you. Each grenade event was caused by the simplest of mistakes:
Build 1 - sleeves should have been installed 1st and foremost on anything you were looking to achieve over 200whp. I am surprised you didn't sleeve the block.
Build 2 - Equipment fail-safe and lack of judgement. Although the lack of judgement didn't really pan out entirely, you were on your way to not only grenading your engine, but the turbo as well. What fella would even contemplate a minimum commute of 160 miles in the desert without water cooling his snail? This was also after giving the go ahead to add when discussing whether or not to add the feature possibility with the builder? And no turbo timer? Tsk Tsk.
Build 3 - Why would you not have thought AUTOMATICALLY the cams were the issue? Those were the only possibility at that point after you tested over and again your vtec. Then the chaos that ensued surrounding bad tune(r), mechanical time, etc. You degreed them multiple times, they did not want to work for ya but so many others with similar setups they would work perfectly. I have seen many times where one upgrade that person 1 has did not work for person 2. It is what it is. IMHO the tuner did play a large part there as well as he should not only be able to tune these monsters, he should also understand GREATLY the science behind the upgrades and should have an basic understanding of what could be going on when a run goes **** up. If they understand how to tune, they should also understand WHAT AND WHY.
Final successful dyno tune: Why would somebody that pays such attention to detail want to build for beast mode but not upgrade axles? (I was nearly in tears when each break occurred, but I seriously LOL'd at the axles)

K.I.S.S. was repeated so many times and with each tear down, you went ***** deep in so many aspects it was almost comical! I'm almost positive I don't want to know how much was spent on this since its conception (I AM positive you wouldn't want CaliforniaMom to know for sure or you'd probably find yourself sleeping on CaliforniaCouch for an extended bit.) What many would debate is that you could have easily reached your first couple set goals for a fraction of what you spent. I've seen 500whp setups for

If your going to give him a lecture, at least make sure you're not spewing bullshit yourself.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 AM
No-Traction = Fun

You feel better now? I know I do! Thanks for all the valuable input.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lightningteg- No bullshit here bud, I have zero reason to do that.

CaliforniaDad- Yes! It was jotted down throughout. I took notes and there were many times I wanted to reply and stopped myself because it was so far back. It was tough!!

My post is seemingly lecture-ish, but I read this entire thing from front to back before I posted anything at all and there were some things I guess I needed light shed upon by the OP and mean zero disrespect toward anything done, nor anyone here!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM
WolfPack

If i posted that i wouldve caught like 3 bans for sure
Old 04-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rsangha13
Facepalm all you'd like.. I have seen and heard of many cracked cylinder walls on Honda engines. I have also seen many that were mildly modded, without sleeves (up to 300whp), without incident. What my point overall there was that somebody with the impeccable detail-oriented build such as calidad's might have had sleeves written into the first round?

I'm not up to cluttering his thread with a debate that would surely be driven to a dead end by a team of beaten to death horses.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:25 PM
No-Traction = Fun

Need some quick cash for family vacation. Anyone interested in a brand new set of Weld drag wheels 13" x 10" and brand new slicks mounted already. Never been on car. new in boxes.
PM me if interested or text 760-550-7997 David
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Bump 2017 is almost amongst us, any updates Calidad? btw where did you source that 4 bolt vband adapter ? I need one.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:50 PM
No-Traction = Fun

I am still here.......Car will be getting dusted off very soon.............
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Welcome back
Old 11-18-2017, 05:09 PM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by ls joker
Welcome back
Thanks Brother!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO.... this made my day.....

I stopped taking you seriously after "sleeves should have been installed 1st and foremost on anything over 200whp"....

Quick Reply: My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly