Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly

Well?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM
No-Traction = Fun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well seems a tiny bit better until I hit vtec. Cams are degree perfect. So I'm going to try some less aggressive cams I think.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you wana throw the gsr's in let me know.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDad
well seems a tiny bit better until I hit vtec. Cams are degree perfect. So I'm going to try some less aggressive cams I think.
:facepalm:
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real tuner anyone ???? The issue needs diagnosing properly by an experienced tuner who has the car in front of him
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect. This will help you finding out if only the cams are involved.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by rich7777

Real tuner anyone ???? The issue needs diagnosing properly by an experienced tuner who has the car in front of him
Just the fact that the car is saying it need less fuel all across the board is just strait weird. My stock GSR cams were asking for more fuel, even when in vtec than these GSC's were. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my head. I had to have the head milled all the way down to the wear bars on this last rebuild to get rid of the damage in the head on cyl#3. Like I lost my quench value in the head or something.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have OEM cams to put in just to verify? I still think you should bring it to a competent tuner and try to sort things out - but I also understand not wanting to spend the extra money to find out it is still the cams. Double edge sword really... at this point to be cost effective and for a further learning experience it may be best to try a camshaft swap first.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, doesn't help my situation any further. I'm going to go ahead and have the car tuned on the GSC cams, see what the results are, if it's not good I'll swap in ITR cams and retune, as I know the ITR cams are good for the power level I'm after and have good economy too when not leaning on it. I'm running a ramhorn mani and my bottleneck now is the exhaust housing on the GT3076r (.63)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really feel bad for GSC, they made such a fantastic profile for these car's and have received nothing but hate since they came into the honda market.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
No-Traction = Fun

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Do you have OEM cams to put in just to verify? I still think you should bring it to a competent tuner and try to sort things out - but I also understand not wanting to spend the extra money to find out it is still the cams. Double edge sword really... at this point to be cost effective and for a further learning experience it may be best to try a camshaft swap first.
Yes I do need a set of OEM GSR camshafts, I do have a brand new set of Edelbrock 4730 Street/Strip camshafts that are a lot less aggressive. I'm wondering if I should install those and degree them and see what happens.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/performance-45/%2A%2A%2A%2A-edelbrock-4730-street-strip-camshafts-clearance-b16-b18c-%24319-set-shipped-%2A%2A%2A-3060430/
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not that people are hating on them. People are just trying to come to grip with their true nature/application. Sometimes it's just a simple game of trial and error to get that needed understanding. I'm sure if we were a few years down the line from now he wouldn't be in this situation as all this would of passed.

I'm for him trying the GSR cams just to see how the engine responds. If it responds well then he's going to need to have the GSC's dialed in on the dyno for best results (keep those P2V numbers safe Dave).
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I do need a set of OEM GSR camshafts, I do have a brand new set of Edelbrock 4730 Street/Strip camshafts that are a lot less aggressive. I'm wondering if I should install those and degree them and see what happens.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3060430
I made 360 whp at 12 lbs on a b16 with those cams. They work well and idle like stock. Good choice.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
I really feel bad for GSC, they made such a fantastic profile for these car's and have received nothing but hate since they came into the honda market.
Who are you to make any type of call on how good a cam profile is that you have never even had a car they would fit into? I live all of the ******* implied knowledge that gets thrown around on this board by folks who have never had any actual experience in the matters at hand.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
You don't have to feel bad about these cams, calidad should.
We do not hate GSC cams, it just might be that there is a problem with these cams or the head and only a cam swap would quickly confirm where the problem could be.
This has been my position for a long time. To me it feels as if you are trying to save the GSC name.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having the head milled wont create something like this, it will still flow the same amount of air. I still think there is more to it then the cams. They don't agree with the rest of the "system"
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flr Power
You don't have to feel bad about these cams, calidad should.
We do not hate GSC cams, it just might be that there is a problem with these cams or the head and only a cam swap would quickly confirm where the problem could be.
This has been my position for a long time. To me it feels as if you are trying to save the GSC name.
I dont think anyone's "trying" to save GSC, Could honestly care less. I just know what dave's been through and I felt sorry. I really hate to see a nice profile like the GSC get a bad name because something isn't correctly working with the profile.

Dave's head was milled a whole.. whole lot.. and it might be a manifold problem.. I would have thought by now and this would have been taking to a real tuner, and got really tuned.. if the problem still persisted, then hey, maybe the cams weren't for you? Not all the time are profiles that are proven, and work, going to work ALL the time, we all know this.

Its sad to see it come to this, this car has alot of work put into it, hopefully trying something else yields better results.. good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Having the head milled wont create something like this, it will still flow the same amount of air. I still think there is more to it then the cams. They don't agree with the rest of the "system"
It will create timing issues.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can always just sell the cams... i'm sure someone will pick them up.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Who are you to make any type of call on how good a cam profile is that you have never even had a car they would fit into? I live all of the ******* implied knowledge that gets thrown around on this board by folks who have never had any actual experience in the matters at hand.
I never said you didn't live all the implied knowledge around here, hell i would be the first ones to say that natural aspirations has tested damn near every set of cams they make for vtec heads including some non vtec heads and never wound up getting a single set to work for any of his intended goals. I am merely implying that it is ashame to see a good company like GSC get hit with this kind of rep because people are incompetent in their usage of an otherwise fantastic product. Especially one that has been tested by some of the best builders and tuners on these boards to have fantastic results with similar setups. Everyone likes to focus their attention on the negative comments on the board, "oh that one guy had a problem getting his to work right, they suck, you should use stock cams, they are the best".

I like calidad's build, and hes done a fantastic job putting it together, but taking the GSC cams out and going back to stockers to try to prove a point is a terrible excuse for not going to a competent tuner to get a real in depth diagnosis, especially when soooooo many people are here trying to help with this situation. It is sad to see that even after direct involvement from the cam manufacturer (which you wont find from alot of other companies) and we are still placing the blame on the cams, and not the other shortcomings of this build. Like the tiny little manifold, the terrible tuner that got a hold of the car the first time around, etc etc... This car should have been over at whitfield getting a real diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just the fact that the car is saying it need less fuel all across the board is just strait weird. My stock GSR cams were asking for more fuel, even when in vtec than these GSC's were. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my head. I had to have the head milled all the way down to the wear bars on this last rebuild to get rid of the damage in the head on cyl#3. Like I lost my quench value in the head or something.
Just get the car tuned already by someone that knows how to tune to the proper AF ratio's, It shouldn' take a good tuner more then an hour or 2 to clean up the map, maybe $200-250 in dyno time? You have more money in bushings! Taking the cams out before its properly tuned doesn't make sense, Unless you have a improper grind and there flawed, There not all that special or different to what else has been out there for years, there not a custom grind or vtec killers, or rollers. Forget the other map for now! Get the car in to the 11.8-12.5 Airfuel ratio, and at that point if the power is way down then you know you have a serious problem else were.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is an old saying for this - "Impress one person and he will tell another; dissatisfy one person and he will tell a dozen."
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
There is an old saying for this - "Impress one person and he will tell another; dissatisfy one person and he will tell a dozen."
How true...oh, how true.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH
It will create timing issues.
Yes of course it will, but the timing has now been addressed so how does that have anything to do with it. Any amount of head milling can be corrected by degreeing cams (done) and setting base ignition timing which I hope and would expect was done prior to or during the tune attempt.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Yes of course it will, but the timing has now been addressed so how does that have anything to do with it. Any amount of head milling can be corrected by degreeing cams (done) and setting base ignition timing which I hope and would expect was done prior to or during the tune attempt.
You're missing the point. On the side of a honda head, there is a "letter" or engraving that serves as a purpose to a "Service" limit, it seems that dave has gone close to, or is at that limit. The normal rule of thumb is for every .050 taken off, you advance both the intake and exhaust +1, This compensates for most timing. In this case he might be more.. With the constant timing issues he's having, and tuning issues, this is seeming to cause a massive headache, again, this should have been taking to Jason/Kevin @ whitifield weeks ago.. Its now beating a dead horse.

Quick Reply: My B18C1 Engine Build/Assembly