Notices

mass air flow sensors and blow off valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mass air flow sensors and blow off valves

ok here is the story, I'm trying to figure out why when a car with a mass air flow sensor and an aftermarket blow off valve stalls out or runs really shitty till you program the ecu to compinsate for it. I know you can run a diverter valve insted of a blow off valve and it works fine. Just can someone explain the principles to me. Like why on my honda with a map sensor can i just slap a blow off valve on it and it will run fine, but on my friends nissan with a mass air flow sensor it doesnt.

Also what are the steps you take in order to program or upgrade your ecu to run a aftermarket bov if you have a mass air flow sensor???

thanks for any help, I know its a stupid question, but im learning, and yea i searched and I couldnt find anything.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mass air flow sensors and blow off valves (97jdmdc2gsr)

Because the BOV system on a car with a MAF sensor is supposed to be a closed loop system and the MAF sensor will look for the recirculated air. If it doesn't see it when the air is blown off, it will do what you are describing because the ECU isn't compensating for it.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: mass air flow sensors and blow off valves (Das Schmoo)

yeah with the MAF the air entering the engine is read right on the intake, usually before the turbo. the ecu uses this reading to determine how much fuel to use. so all the air that comes in is read but if some never makes it to the engine due to the BOV then there is too much fuel being added. the car runs super rich and stalls/sputters and all that craziness.

the MAP on the otherhand reads the pressure in the intake manifold itself to adjust fuel so there problems with a BOV that vents to the atmosphere.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mass air flow sensors and blow off valves (dpetro1)

I run a BOV on my MAF equipped nissan, its not as bad as people claim theres no backfiring etc. Sure it runs a little rich in between shifts but no big deal. Just get a plumbback style BOV if your concerned..
Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 AM

With a MAF you just have to put the MAF after the turbo and the BOV inbetween the MAF and the turbo.
Then you'll have no porb's blowing off in the athmosphere.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Semnos)

yeah couldnt you just put the bov before the maf?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dornon13)

yup, i dont know why it took so long to ficure out you just relocate the maf sensor inbetween the throttlebody and the bov, problem solved...
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup, i dont know why it took so long to ficure out you just relocate the maf sensor inbetween the throttlebody and the bov, problem solved...</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but thats not always as easy as it sounds. there would be some fab work involved. but it would def fix the problem.

any of you MAF guys using something like the turbosmart dual port bov that has a plumb back and open atmosphere valve??
Old 04-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

you just need to get the adapters other than that its just a straight fit...
Old 04-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

true we are just use to everything being custom anyways
Old 04-07-2006, 07:56 PM

get a bov that recirculates the air such as the turbosmart ones or even the hks ones that has a tube that vents back in, i use to have the same problem with my skyline until i switched to AEM and map sensor.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dornon13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah couldnt you just put the bov before the maf?</TD></TR></TABLE> MAf is attached to the air intake generally you realise? People do it but I personally would rather recirculate the BOV..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

any of you MAF guys using something like the turbosmart dual port bov that has a plumb back and open atmosphere valve??</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah I have a GFB version .
Old 04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dornon13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah couldnt you just put the bov before the maf?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run a BOV on my MAF equipped nissan, its not as bad as people claim theres no backfiring etc. Sure it runs a little rich in between shifts but no big deal. Just get a plumbback style BOV if your concerned..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats odd my BOV on my Mk3 Supra fucken burps spits and farts flames and last but not least stalls.

***** compensation its wasting my gas.

Recirculate, quit being a flipping ricer quiet that sucker down and run right.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No.

Thats odd my BOV on my Mk3 Supra fucken burps spits and farts flames and last but not least stalls.

***** compensation its wasting my gas.

Recirculate, quit being a flipping ricer quiet that sucker down and run right.

</TD></TR></TABLE>Haha get your **** tuned then comment ricer... But your right the best way is to recirculate it.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha get your **** tuned then comment ricer... But your right the best way is to recirculate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is tuned