Notices

Loud forged pistons ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud forged pistons ?

Hi I purchased this built boosted b18b1 back in November of last year and have always had a noisy diesel like engine sound . I adjusted the valves today which helped a lot as they were a bit loose but now I’m really noticing this almost like piston slap noise on acceleration. It’s not overly loud or easy to hear but it is there if you really listen . It’s louder on cold start but quietes down a lot as the car warms up . Here’s a video of the noise please tell me if this is normal . I’m about to get the car retuned and don’t want to spend money tunning if I’m gonna end up needing an engine replaced soon .

https://youtube.com/shorts/6Ut5cP_ONGA?feature=share

- Cp pistons
- Manley H beam rods
- ACL race oil pump
- cosmetic head gasket
- block is 20 thou over
- head resurface
- arp head studs
- arp connecting rod bolts
- gates racing timing belt
- acl race bearings
- aftermarket base pan
- aem fuel rail
- Vms racing fuel pressure gauge
- 255lph fuel pump
- cx racing intercooler kit
- HKS blow off vavle
- Skunk2 70mm throttle body
- aftermarket coolant over bottle
- 54mm precision turbo
- Cx racing wastegate
- Rev top mount turbo manifold
- autometer boost gauge
- aem wide band
- kteller 3 inch exhaust
- magnaflow race muffler
- 3 inch downpipe
- autometer oil pressure gauge
- manual boost controller
- hondata s300 Ecu
- 750cc grams injectors
- Omni 4 bar map sensor
- aftermarket distributor
Old 06-30-2023, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Loud forged pistons ?

Sounds like a normal healthy idle to me.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Sounds like a normal healthy idle to me.
The little tapping noise you hear gets a tad louder when accelerating and increases in speed with rpm . It’s not overly loud tho once you get anything above 20km/hr you can hardly hear it over driving / wind noise
Old 06-30-2023, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another video of revving the engine up or driving the car around a bit may help get a better idea.

Do you know what your P2W specs are? Or what your rings were gapped at? If you're paranoid you could do a compression test to make sure the engine is healthy, and/or a leakdown test to make sure you're not loosing compression in the cylinders.

Could also stick a cheap bore scope into the cylinder and make sure the piston dome and walls look good. But based on the short video you posted initially, it sounds healthy to me.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another video of revving the engine up or driving the car around a bit may help get a better idea.

Do you know what your P2W specs are? Or what your rings were gapped at? If you're paranoid you could do a compression test to make sure the engine is healthy, and/or a leakdown test to make sure you're not loosing compression in the cylinders.

Could also stick a cheap bore scope into the cylinder and make sure the piston dome and walls look good. But based on the short video you posted initially, it sounds healthy to me.
Heres a video of it driving . I will note it was louder when cold and quieted down over time . I’ll also add the car doesn’t smoke and doesn’t burn a single drop of oil like my girlfriends 2017 Mazda 3 burns more . My tuner told me it sounds like a small exhaust leak is making some of the noise which I do have as well where the turbo mounts the manifold so that could be causing some noise for sure . Don’t mind the terrible startup this tune that’s on the car sucks . Not the tuners fault tho as this is not his tune I was just consulting with him about the noise before going ahead with a new tune

https://youtube.com/shorts/-aSTn46O1jo?feature=share

Old 06-30-2023, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting the exhaust leak fixed would be the first course of action, that could definitely have an impact.

Engine still sounds overall healthy to me, possible that some of the tolerances are on the looser side of things but that alone isn't a big concern. So far, and plus the fact you're not burning oil, the engine seems healthy to me. I'd get the exhaust leak fixed and a proper full tune done.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting the exhaust leak fixed would be the first course of action, that could definitely have an impact.

Engine still sounds overall healthy to me, possible that some of the tolerances are on the looser side of things but that alone isn't a big concern. So far, and plus the fact you're not burning oil, the engine seems healthy to me. I'd get the exhaust leak fixed and a proper full tune done.
The tuner is working on my first basemap as we speak ! And I’m gonna throw some gasket maker around where it is leaking this evening and let it cure over night that should work as that’s what was on it before and it didn’t leak . Thank you I appreciate the input a lot !
Old 06-30-2023, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You may end up needing to get the flange on the manifold/turbo resurfaced, and a new gasket on if the gasket maker doesn't work.

Good luck, enjoy the car.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I deff hear the exhaust leak!

Forged internals will be loud on cold start-ups and should get quit when the engine warms up.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had numerous built b series engines and they were all loud cold. They calm down as they warm up.