Notices

Hiding Nitrous in a gutted car, largest size

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Hiding Nitrous in a gutted car, largest size

Okay, I'm going to sound crazy and maybe I am. I have wanted to build my GSR all motor since before I even bought it (no, you won't talk me into turbo). However, in my city, there is more than the average number of guys running nitrous. Mostly on the streets. Majority are doing precise tunes to only spray at a certain throttle %, above a certain rpm, etc. This is what I'd like to do. I still plan to do internals when I rebuild my motor. TODA A or B cams, 82mm TODA pistons, single layer headgasket, up the CR a little. But I'd like to spray a little. Like, maybe 50 or less even. However, you may see, my car is pretty much gutted... where can I hide the bottle? I heard you can get a Cheater Pete to fit in both doors, but people say those are good for like 2 runs each on a drag strip. My goal is to use this as a track car and some street fun. I don't just want something for a couple runs. I found this picture on an old thread of someone that fit a bottle in their glove box, how big of a bottle could I fit in there? Can I mount a bottle under the dash on the firewall or would that get too hot and be bad? And I guess also, is it legal to even use nitrous on a track (not drag, an actual track). Maybe someone with more experience can make some recommendations here. Or maybe I should let my Fast and Furious dreams die and just stick to NA and enjoy extremly high revs and advanced timing.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Hiding Nitrous in a gutted car, largest size

I have seen people hide 10lb bottles under the dash behind the glove box/console area in some cars. It's not really noticeable if you're looking down into the car but once you get inside it can usually be seen unless you add something like a bit of carpet to cover it. Depends on how much room you can create under there by removing stuff. You could probably cut out most of the glove box from behind to make extra space too.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Behind your gutted dash or just put the bottle in a gym bag.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've seen craftsman tool boxes with a bottle inside, just had the top carry tray on top, never knew it was there.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by bauergold
Behind your gutted dash or just put the bottle in a gym bag.
Originally Posted by seelback
i've seen craftsman tool boxes with a bottle inside, just had the top carry tray on top, never knew it was there.
These ideas are pretty creative and would be simple to try.

Otherwise, what about the slot/area where the rear speakers usually go? There's a bit of space between the shell of the car and the inner frame right there, but I'm not sure if you could shove a bottle in there... Probably not the best idea now that I'm thinking of it.

Glovebox/behind the dash would probably be your only other option.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could always try tucking a few in the rear bumper.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Geis
Could always try tucking a few in the rear bumper.
Bomb waiting to go off in an accident.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe he wants to recreate the scene from F&F1 where the Eclipse goes up in blue flame? Or maybe you could re-enact the whole Ford Pinto debacle where they would explode when you kicked them in the rear bumper?? DO NOT PUT NOS BOTTLES ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE...
Old 12-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Bomb waiting to go off in an accident.
Originally Posted by the_unknown
Maybe he wants to recreate the scene from F&F1 where the Eclipse goes up in blue flame? Or maybe you could re-enact the whole Ford Pinto debacle where they would explode when you kicked them in the rear bumper?? DO NOT PUT NOS BOTTLES ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE...
Haha yeah, probably not the smartest suggestion I've made around here. I suppose you could build a hanger with a guard for the tanks that would transfer the impacts to the chassis connection points, and build it so the hanger would break off the before the tanks would get ruptured. I don't know if they would be able to clear the chassis dip where the spare tire is either, so my idea might be completely Darwinian after all.

On another note, I'm not quite sure what's inside the center console or under the armrest compartment, but I'm assuming you could hollow out a space there and store a tank.