Notices

K24A2 Supercharged Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K24A2 Supercharged Build

I want a bigger supercharger, and all the good positive displacement blowers (the ones that can make 500 or so WHP) spin clockwise, so I'm building a K. I've built several B-series motors for boost, but never a K, so any relevant input would be appreciated. Here's the general plan:

K24 block -w- AEBS sleeves, installed by Z10
K24 crank -w- widened rod journals and custom rods
Wiseco 8.8:1 stock pistons
K20A2 head with an RLZ valve job.
K20A2 transmission with an LSD

Modified Eaton M90 supercharger with electronic boost control, running through a FMIC. There's a guy out in Oregon that makes custom M90 cases. He's put them on some of the old Comptech NSX kits that used to use an M90 and they made a little over 500 WHP at 18 PSI. I have to go out to Oregon in a couple of weeks, ao I thougtht I'd check it out.

Get it all together, put it in my hatch, get JDogg to tune it at 18 PSI, and take it to the track.

Here's what I've got so far:

<U>K24A1 motor out of an '02 CRV:</U>

<U>7-rib pulley, spring-loaded automatic belt tensioner, I'm gonna like this:</U>

<U>Up on the bench, supercharger's going right under the water pump where the AC compressor normally goes, it'll sit right in front of the oil pan:</U>

<U>There are some decent mounting points here, and where the pulley will come out there will get a really good wrap where it has to go back around the water pump idler:</U>

I'll make a mounting plate the will bolt to the block, probably out of .5" aluminum, mostly because I have a bunch of it laying around. The way the ports on an M90 are situated, the air will come in the driver's side end of the blower and come out towards the front of the car. I'll make some flanges for it to route it to a FMIC and then to the TB, just like a turbo. JDogg suggested getting a waste gate flange welded to the charge piping and using a turbo boost controller with a waste gate for boost control, I think that would work.

K20A2 motor/transmission and miscellaneous parts:

Eaton M90 Blower, out of an old T-bird. I'll probably get this fixed up with new bearings, rotor coating, and a custom case. If I can make 450-500 WHP out of one of these, then I'll be happy. If not, then I can easily go bigger, there's lots of nice CW-spinning blowers out there.

The bracket for mounting the blower, it mounts to the block in three places with M10x1.25 bolts. I'll probably mount the blower to this bracket using the same size bolts. Hopefully it will be secure if I tap and helicoil the aluminum plates vice through-bolting it, although I'll have to see how much clearance I have on the back side of the plates when I get the blower on them:

It looks like I have to use the EP3 upper idler pulley instead of the RSX PS pump. I ordered one today. After it gets in I'll do final fitment of the blower. As soon as that is locked down I'll tear down everything, send the crank out to get the rod journals widened, send the head to RLZ, the block to Z10 for sleeving, go through the transmission and install an LSD, etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: K24A2 Supercharged Build (rmcdaniels)

dear god i cannot imagine how disgusting this car is going to put out

go here if you need anything else (good people)

http://www.k20a.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

lol its a FI forum just for k motors
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, I can't get over your avatar every time I see a post by you. Your a mad mad person
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: K24A2 Supercharged Build (RCautoworks)

youre already starting on it!? im in for this build!!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:57 AM

very nice. in (subscribed) for support. best of the best K-series engine w/ some SC love!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Old 05-21-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (JoePSI)

Where can I hop on the bandwagon?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dc2legend)

subscribed
Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice project
Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dc2legend)

I've had some people ask me about pricing for all this, which was a major factor. I pay for all this with money from my paychecks that I hide from my wife, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on costs. A couple of years ago I looked at building a K20, but prices on anything K-series were insane. Any more you can get them pretty reasonably if you shop around. I went to a local meet this weekend and you couldn't throw a brick without hitting a Civic with a K20 swap in it.

K24A1 long block out of an '02 CRV - $600 from a local junkyard, delivered to a local shop (Phantasm, in Raleigh). The guys at Phantasm helped me put it in the bed of their truck and gave it a ride to my house. I drive a Geo Prizm and it just wasn't going to fit.

K20A2 motor/transmission/harness/ECU/brackets/misc-parts from an RSX-S - $1500 from ebay, plus about $450 to get it back here. The guy said that the motor has 90K and ran fine, but there was a minor knocking sound coming from it. I'm chucking the bottom end, so I don't care, but it's probably rebuildable. I PayPal'd him a small deposit, then flew to Syracuse and rented a minivan one-way to bring it back (that was most of the cost, they rape you on one-way rentals). That way I could go to the shop where it was at and check it out before I paid for it. Sending someone $1500 for something that I've just seen pictures of on ebay is a little too risky for me, although the guy turned out to be really cool and he had exactly what he advertised, so no problems.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

what do you plan to use this setup in?
and what do you plan to use it for? other than burnout contests

definately keeping an eye on this one
Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, $600? Thats what a local import place charges for a low-milage D16Y8!

The build looks crazy, I'm just curious how you plan on putting that much HP to the ground. I know you are more of an auto-x'er, not a drag guy, and that much HP is more than enough for wrinkle-wall slicks, and likely you'll be running stiff-wall roadrace slicks. At least you won't have problems warming them up
Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoolin turbo s)

It's eventually going in my track hatch:

It don't look like much, but it's got a lot of stuff in it, spherical bearings vice bushings, GC/Koni suspension, many other things:

Not much in here, seats and belts will be replaced with racing gear when I get the roll bar in it:

View from the driver's seat, 320mm wheel to a Quaife steering rack, oil pressure gauge, boost gauge, and programmable LCD display that shows me speed, RPM, temp, wide-band, etc. I have a gas gauge for it too, just need to install it ("install" meaning wire it in and zip tie it down to something):

passenger side footwell, EMS, ignition controller, wide band controller, and wiring harness:

Engine bay, supercharged Dart-block 95mm stroker motor (about 2.2L), RLZ-ported head -w- oversized valves, Wiseco 11:1 pistons, much other goodness:

Custom header, short 2" primaries to a 3" merge collector, thermal coating by me:

Custom ghetto-fab mount for the ABS unit:

JRSC with Endyn-modified blower and LHT Intercooler. After a few dyno runs, max IAT's got up to 130 degrees. It also has a custom pulley system designed by me and CNC'd at Pulley boys. The boost was very consistent, even using crappy old belts, and they didn't jump out of their tracks at all, which they used to have a tendency to do when driven hard:

Dual half-width radiators, Fluidyne on the left for cooling the motor and ebay $99 special on the right for cooling the water for the LHT intercooler:

Not much back here, blingtastic Password JDM strut bar and custom 3" stainless exhaust -w- a Magnaflow stainless muffler from Danny at Phantasm. It sounds mean as hell when you wind it up, but not too loud when cruising:

Shot of the water pump and extra fan for the intercooler:

225/45-15 Toyo RA-1's on Konig 15x7 Nexts -w- cryo'd Brembo blanks and EBC Yellow Stuff R-compound pads (DC Integra hubs/brakes):

The back, -w- a better view of the muffler. It was not easy, but Danny got it up in there nice and tight:

Some kind of mold that's growing all over the outside of it. I cleaned it off of the windows so I could see, and it was tough to get off of there. I think I'll leave it on the rest of the car, kind of adds to the ambience of the whole ensemble:

Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

It's going in a time-trial/HPDE car, and it will have gear-based boost control and traction control via the EMS. With that and 225/45 r-comps on it I think traction will be fine. I'm sure that I'll take it to a test-n-tune at a local drag strip at some point, just to see what it will do. I'd hope to at least get 11's out of it on RA-1's.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build, i am currently looking to get rid of the ITBs i have in favor of a belt charger. 18psi isnt over spinning that m90? not to knowledgable on the m90, but i heard that just 11 psi on the 62 was over spinning it.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In for the build
Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (90sedan)

Nice car, I saw it before and like the fungus growing on the roof
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RIP V8s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RIP V8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice build, i am currently looking to get rid of the ITBs i have in favor of a belt charger. 18psi isnt over spinning that m90? not to knowledgable on the m90, but i heard that just 11 psi on the 62 was over spinning it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On a stock blower it would be, and even a case-modified blower like my current M62 would be dicey at 18 PSI, but that's the beauty of a CW motor, there are a lot more blowers out there. The blower setup that I'd like to use is an M90 with coated rotors and a Magnum Powers case:

http://www.magnumpowers.com/tbrd_MPx.php

This case is designed for 18 PSI from a M90 and makes over 500 WHP on an NSX, so I'm pretty sure the blower will flow enough to make the power that I want. Even if it sucks, the setup is simple enough that I could easily pick up a Whipple off of a GM truck kit that would make 30 PSI efficiently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...90667

Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And if I hit the lottery, then I could always get one of these for it:

http://www.redshiftmotorsports...t=101
Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that is one hell of a wolf in ugly-*** sheeps skin
Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would that ^ be capable of making the power you want as well?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alex_s817)

The Redshift kit should be able to make that power easily, especially if they put a Whipple 2300AX blower on it. That's a 140 CI blower, which would be huge for a 2.4L motor.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn thats pretty sick
Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Redshift kit should be able to make that power easily, especially if they put a Whipple 2300AX blower on it. That's a 140 CI blower, which would be huge for a 2.4L motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

R,,, How is the twin-screw supercharger by Lysholm compared to the typical Eaton JRSC staple? Is the twin screw developing that much more pressure that the added price could be warranted?

Quick Reply: K24A2 Supercharged Build