Notices

Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress

Ouch man, never seen a torn crank like that. What are you plan for it next, continuing on with a new build or scrapping it for now?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So anyway, I’ve decided to make my life more interesting by dumping more money on a bigger better build and was contemplating whether it’s worth it in the long run. I’m guessing not, but I have a strong urged to push the sohc just one more time shooting for 10.50 index or better.

Here’s a quick rundown of the build.

SHORT BLOCK
D16z6 D16z6
GE Sleeved O-Ringed
Welded coolant plug
Custom Arias 11Cr 76mm
Manley 137mm Rods
Arp 2000 bolts bolts
11mm arp headstuds
Acl race bearings rod/main/thrust washers
Black box delete plug
Melvin ports ported OE
D16z6 D16z6
oil pump
Oem water pump
Oem tensioner kit
Oem crank seal
Oem water pipe

CYLINDER HEAD:
D16z6 Melvin ports will be porting the head
Rocket
Motorsports stage 5 Motorsports stage 5
billet cam
Supertech valve springs
Supertech valve guides
Supertech valve seals
Stock valves retainers/keepers
Dual -10an vented valve cover
Edelbrock Performance-X Intake manifold cut open for porting by Melvin
Phearable 70mm TB
Speedfactory thermal gaskets

TRANSMISSION:
GSR “LSD eventually” stock gearing
Modified GSR bell housing to fit D16 “Plateless”
Competition D2b flywheel
Compitition stage 5 clutch
Hasports mounts 95a race specs bushings
Will be using Lenso 13x7.5+25 with M&H 24x9x13 slicks

FORCED INDUCTION:
Precision 6262 .68ar T4 v-band ported turbine housing also by Melvin
Speedfactory T4 top mount 44mm wg flange
Precision 46mm wastegate 44mm flange
Tial 50mm BOV
3.5” Up-pipe hood exit v-band for both exh/wg
Hondata 4 bar map sensor
Innovative LC2 wideband
Manual Boost/Oil pressure gauges
-3an feed line no restrictor
-10an return line
GE
sandwich plate sandwich plate
for oil distribution
Custom 3 port -10an ventilation catch can

FUELING:
Pump E85
Bosch 2200cc
Walbro 450 in-tank
044 in-line
Aeromotive FPR
Earls filter -8an fuel lines
AEM fuel rail

HONDATA S300 V3 for engine management

The intercooling system is still up in the air, but I’m planning on doing a back door from turbo to intercooler then one piece 3” cold side piping all the way back to the throttlebody. I don't have anything set as far as power goals, but anything above 500s should be okay and I'm sure I'll break that with ease with this set-up possibly touch 600hp. I would like for the car to hit 10.50s if not better for next season.

The GE block that i traded for my 15" rotas it is still on standard bore at 75mm

Manley rods

Arias 11cr 76mm pistons

Speedfactory T4 top mount 44mm

Precision 6262 68ar T4 cea billet turbo

Precision 46mm wastegate

Tial 50mm BOV

Old 12-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend dropped off my GSR transmission today it came with half shaft, both axles and linkage for $350?! Not bad! It's always good to have connections.
My buddy Scott will be jumping on board to help me with the D2b plateless process as he started doing a lot of fabrications etc. I will update you guys about that later.

My Lenso and 24.5 M&h slicks

I am also planning on adding a shift light "No tachometer" it's simple and less distracting than the full auto-meter with tach.

How i decorate my room for Christmas

I'm about half way thru the rebuild and still need a lot of parts, but I'll try and get the car ready for dyno by spring "maybe" gotta hustle and make some money over the winter.

Okay so more cars! I did picked up another DC5 this fall It's a Type-S chassis with K20a3 swap or what they call Type-B "Type-Base" that's been rigged up like a *******%ker the a/c lines has been pulled out, the 02 sensor is triggering a CEL code, blower motor wiring is hacked up and yada yada yada. I drove it around and the motor and trans is pretty solid so i pulled the trigger and drove it home. I actually just found out that this car used to be my buddy's 700hp Dc5 that ran 11.0 in the quarter. Small world! Haha. He sold the shell to this dude in Wisconsin and transferred the whole swap to his MR2. Anyway, this should keep me sane while the eg is out of commission and the S2000 in storage.

The Good:

Motor and transmission is solid
Has full thermal exhaust
Megan Street series coils
Avid Mounts
Clean chassis
Clean interior
And Yada yada yada... Fun little tire kicker

I have installed a kenwood bluetooth stereo, new wheels, fixed the wirings, heater, did most maintenance etc and runs like a champ now. I drove it to East Coast and back without issues and have put in at least 6,000 miles in less than two months. It is running on K-pro and it averages at 33mpg and a bit over 400+ miles in tank for the win!

I was at world cup finals in MIR last month and got to meet a few of the big dogs and had a good chi-chat regarding single cams with James Kempf

The beautiful ladies at MIR

Also caught up with Chris B. J-series s2000 at IFO

And Norris Prayonto was at out local track in Wisconsin a few months back.

The cylinder head, intake manifold and turbine is being ported by Melvin atm so i will update again about all that later.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice can't wait to see this thing back together and running
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
Ouch man, never seen a torn crank like that. What are you plan for it next, continuing on with a new build or scrapping it for now?
Sold the old T3 set-up and going 62mm T4

Originally Posted by Honda_Cribb_GS-R
nice can't wait to see this thing back together and running
Yes it will be a while it's just time and money.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice block! thats gonna be one sweet d16, u must b goin for some big power I cant wait to see what it puts down
Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
Nice block! thats gonna be one sweet d16, u must b goin for some big power I cant wait to see what it puts down
It will be ready for dyno by spring hopefully.

So anyway i ordered the D2b flywheel two days ago and was surprised to see the flywheel in my doorstep yesterday. I must say that the quality is great! The flywheel weighs around 12lbs which is a little lighter than what i usually use for drags, but it should work and should finally allow me to use a B-series clutch/transmission.

Anyway enough with the talk here's the flywheel.

I was curious and weight the flywheel which is what you see in the picture the stock D16 flywheel was 4lbs heavier at 16lbs.

Also here's a picture of the head that Melvin ports sent me.

The next plan is to order the Competition stage 5 4-puck clutch on the next paycheck.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AWESOME build. love it
Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jun da one cam Boss... nice hoard you got there
Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys i appreciate the support! Btw Melvin will be doing a live video of the exhaust port process so make sure to check that out later on his facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/melvinports/

Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jun what was your rev limiter previously set at and are you keeping it the same? also i see your using stock retainers, that's awesome to know that they can take the abuse, same set all along or did u buy new oem retainers?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
Jun what was your rev limiter previously set at and are you keeping it the same? also i see your using stock retainers, that's awesome to know that they can take the abuse, same set all along or did u buy new oem retainers?
The limiter is set at 9200 rpm but i shift just before that and yes i was on stock retainers however I will be using Ferrea valves and Ti retainers for next season.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh snap thats higher than i thought it'd be, And u were on stock valves too? hmm interesting, I set my limit to 8500 on a built y8 and i dropped a valve lol. Looks like i have more research to do, or maybe the z6 really is a much better base to build with.. I have a 105300 comp cam, BC springs n Ti retainers, Ferrea valves, but im having a problem with the keepers pulling thru the Ti retainers, now im planning on running stock retainers after noticing that part of your build list
Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So a little last minute changes on the intake set-up as i have a feeling that the edelbrock might choke at high boost with the bigger turbo, so with that said i ended up buying Hugo's custom manifold with remote AICV plate that looks like a golden eagle replica.

I've also decided to upgrade to ferrea flat valves +1 intake std exhaust to have that piece of mind and ordered it directly from Realstreet and they helped me out a little bit on the price not to mention free shipping.

The injectors, 74mm thermal tb gasket, ferrea valves and some of the stainless v-band stuff arrived.

Building up-pipes from scratch

And here's a quick DIY headgasket install video that i did a while back and i had to re-upload because youtube keeps giving me a copyright claim. Share it to your friends so i could make more money. Haha!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Trial User

Keep it up Jun I have been seeing ur car for years now and it's amazing work ur putting in ,love ur videos on YouTube ,I made a Honda tech account just to follow ur build as I'm only on K20a.org , but I picked up a black eg coupe z6,that I'm building a 75.5vitara build with a 59300 cam ,I'm stocked on having a d series way more bang for buck them my built K car .hope u update us soon
Old 02-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress

Originally Posted by Pipedc4
Keep it up Jun I have been seeing ur car for years now and it's amazing work ur putting in ,love ur videos on YouTube ,I made a Honda tech account just to follow ur build as I'm only on K20a.org , but I picked up a black eg coupe z6,that I'm building a 75.5vitara build with a 59300 cam ,I'm stocked on having a d series way more bang for buck them my built K car .hope u update us soon

Hey guys, sorry for the late update it's been to cold here lately so I wasn't able to do anything with the car, and have just been focused on gathering all the parts and pay off the machine shop. Sounds like you will be my twin pretty soon there, you should send me a picture i want to see the car. A simple vitara block with cam and springs will comfortably make 350-400whp on E85 with a cast 57trim turbo. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a little update on the build. I went and pick up a Gsr transmission with synchrotech synchros + helical M-factory LSD. I have yet to open it, but i will have to soon with the bell housing needing modifications for D2b plateless.

Here's the 94-01 hydro B-series Comp stage 5 un-sprung clutch. I'm hoping for this to hold for at least 1 season while i save up for a twin disc.

And about time i fix the damn trailing arm bushings as my car gets super sketchy with skinnies on the top end. After reading around I've decided to try hardrace products as the spherical bushings prices are outrageous!

I went with fuel lab 40 micron E85 compatible in-line fuel filter kit + vibrant fitting that connects to oem line. I still need redo the whole fuel lines with braided -6an feed from tank to filter, then rewire the 450 fuel pump.

And here's the 3.5" stainless up pipe for the hood exit set-up.

I am about 98% in completing this new build and it should be running within a month so stay tuned!

Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i opened the transmission for inspection and wanted to make sure that it is in fact a gsr, so i counted everything from counter/main as well as the ring gear. This is my first time working on a B-series and noticed that the process is quite similar with D-series, so I'll go ahead and input what I've learnt in the process. Like the usual, you will have to start by removing the two 12mm shifter bolts, and make sure to not lose the ball bearing as it is spring loaded.

Then go ahead and remove the 14mm bolt which holds the reverse idler gear this one sits on top near the trans mount area.

Remove the rest of the 12mm trans case bolts and you will find it that B18 uses 1/2 rachet for the c-clip bolt, then fry the c-clip using snap ring fliers and the counter-shaft bearing should free itself.

A little bit of frying on both side and the casing should come off.

I used a washable gray marker to mark down the teeth where i started. Here's the ring gear marked and counted which equaled to 66 teeth = 4.400

I wrote down everything and confirmed that it is in fact a Gsr transmission with M-factory lsd and carbon synchros.

Here's what i found upon closer look the slider hub on 1st and 2nd gear by the counter shaft side looks worn out, so i know i will have to source out part the replace those, although the synchros and the rest of the trans looked good.

I thought about doing a cuff, but i drive the car on the streets as well as to the track and back so I will be using LS 5th to keep the rpm lower at cruising. And last but not the least, make sure that the tab on top of the main shaft is at 12 o'clock or the case won't close.

We will start with the plateless process as soon as i get the block from the machine shop.

Last edited by Jun Villaruz; 02-16-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A little update and here's the plan for tomorrow.

Order the Ti retainers and send it to Melvin ports so he can finish the head assembly and measure the new Rocket motorsports billet cam.

And will also be sending him the Je Proseal 76mm headgasket so we could degree and clay the motor.

Another last minute changes and will be running a -6an fuel feedline from the tank to cabin. This will give me an extra piece of mind the fact that i won't have to worry about corrosion with the old stock line with E85.

3mm thermal intake manifold gasket.

And lastly, I will be going to the machine shop tomorrow to pick up the block. They haven't called me yet, but I'm hoping it's done so i could drop it off to Scott and he can start with the D2b plateless process...

And by the way I am planning on selling both my Comp d2b steel forged flywheel and B-series 94-01 Comp stage 5 unsprung clutch. Both are still brand new in the box this combo should be good for 600whp or so and asking $500 shipped. I will be going D2b twin disc if i could sell this one, so let me know!

Last edited by Jun Villaruz; 02-21-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The clutch is sold but i still have the D2b Comp flywheel.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's some late updates on the build and we finished the 3.5" v-band up pipe that we put together from scratch.

The smaller 2.25" outlet on the intercooler has been cut out and replaced with 3" elbow this prevents heat soak or air reversal just in case it chokes.

Friends at One6motorsports gave me a hell of a deal on PIC 18k rear drag coilovers and so i ended up driving home with these.

I will be transferring the current 14k PIC coils to the front then install the 18k in the back together with new rear trailing arms and LCA.

I also picked up a beater integra in good running condition with 170xxx miles for $1,500. It was previously owned by a cute young gal and i felt bad by taking her TEg, but she was really happy with the cash. The chassis is a little rough, but i plan on doing some exterior work and make it somewhat look decent while everything under the hood is 100% stock for reliability. I have order a type-R front lip, type-R wing, 35% precut tints, and will be dropping it on some ground control 250lbs coilovers that i have laying around when i have the time. I tried installing skunk2 lowering springs on stock struts for **** and giggles, and the car rode like absolute crap! HAha. The rear strut bolts are seized to the control arm bushings and won't come out, so i will be changing the whole control arms as well. Thankfully i have a lot of extra parts laying around.

Last edited by Jun Villaruz; 03-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So there's not much of an update on the car as I'm still waiting for the block to be finished before i can proceed with anything. However, i was messing around with another valve cover and eventually decided to get it hydro-dipped thru a friend who's doing it.

Here's a valve cover off an ek from the junkyard, and as you can see I've shaved the breather area drilled and welded with two -10an fittings.

And here it is primered.

Here's the finished product.

And to those who aren't in my snapchat, I've been busy restoring the beater integra and here are the updates.

I've removed the tan interior and fully converted it to Gsr leathers, installed a full ground control coilovers, bwr lca, pioner stereo system, antenna and rear wiper delete, type-r wing and front lip, 6000k Led lights and minor tune ups etc... I get around 32mpg on highway with this car now and I'm loving it! It has everything i need a/c, heater, power steering, cruise control, good stereo system for long drives etc... I will not be touching anything under hood for reliability purposes.

Picked up a set of DR21 15x7 with 225-50-15 drag radials.

Some exterior work

The car is almost unrecognizable as it used to look so ugly here's a before and after in about 2 weeks or so since my ownership.

I'm looking to full the trigger on a D2b twin disc by Monday and will update again then.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found a good deal on a Comp D2b twin disc thru ILL Garage a local tuning shop and ordered the 76mm Je Proseal head gasket as well.

I am still waiting for the shortblock to be time serted to 11mm and hopefully get that back for assembly next week. Stay tuned!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show the Civic in hibernation...Where is it sleeping?
It's gonna wake up hungry.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm liking the updates. Keep up the good work Jun!

Quick Reply: Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress