Notices

Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress

Originally Posted by underrated
The d17 crank should have its own thread. So we don't plug up Jun's.

Do you have to do alignment after putting the traction bar on?
I haven't gotten it aligned yet, i just spun the bar around until it felt snugged and locked it. I have installed the new valve cover and replaced all the leaky gaskets from the previous vc.

I also went ahead and checked the valve lash clearance and mechanical timing before the competition this weekend.

I believe this car has more 10sec passes on it, i just have to drive the hell out of it.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost up, gas pedal down, let her eat.

As for the D17, do it man. The RS ratio is garbage but whatever, it'll last long enough to do work. As displacement increases, CR increase as well if the combustion chamber volume stays constant. Higher CR, greater displacement, sounds like easy power increase to me.

Only down side is the K1 rods. Or thinning some D16 rods at the big end.

But to me, with a D series, I would try to avoid custom type parts, like extended rods, etc. The way I look at it, is the D series is good to build because if it blows up, you can just toss another together for cheap. Start to put custom length rods in there, and that sorta goes out the window.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Typically a traction bar doesn't require an alignment unless you really crank it down. Remember they only prevent the lower control arms from deflecting rearward.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where'd u get the traction bar?
Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could be wrong but it looked as though the traction bar was off brand. Not that it matters as its some steel but someone asked
Old 08-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thing i saved my d17 i blew last december.

Build is looking good so far
Old 08-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's going to be super humid tomorrow and almost at 100 degrees so i decided not to run the car and risk popping a HG or E85 running lean since it's tuned on a chilly day, not to mention I did not finish the front suspension since i have to be at work and ran out of time. I was supposed to pick up some upper control arms and finish the car, but my buddy totalled his car so i was out driving him around in the hospital for the rest of the day instead, etc... As far as traction bar, it is called Ipex and ordered it from ebay for $123 mostly for trial base. It seemed to have really stiffen the whole steering assembly and the car handles solid with so I'm pretty happy with this traction bad. I'm going to take the oil pan off tomorrow just to make sure there's no bearing materials on the floor. And Danz, I would consider the d17 crank, but I'd rather just keep it simple and do a wiseco 9.5:1 or higher cr like 10:1 with carillo or eagle rods with css A6 or Z6 block and try for low 10s index. All i really need at this point is a bigger fuel pump and a clutch so i could crank up the boost, I'm just trying to enjoy it as is right now which still manages to crack to 10s. I mean a sec vitara block? Why not?!! I'll take it.. Haha
Old 08-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My comp stage 5 (unsprung 4 puck) never ever EVER had an issue with any amount of power. Darins car was trapping 140mph with his, no issues.

They wont last more than 50-100 HARD hits, but man they work when they work.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
My comp stage 5 (unsprung 4 puck) never ever EVER had an issue with any amount of power. Darins car was trapping 140mph with his, no issues.

They wont last more than 50-100 HARD hits, but man they work when they work.
I'll keep that in mind thanks Dan.

Anyway, i went to do a test pass and call out the fastest gisxxeeerrr at the track last Sunday. I know, what the hell was i thinking right?! We both took off and it was door to door until my trans won't go in on 3rd. Again. Afr's are funny on humid and hot days with E85 so i didn't even bother running again and risk blowing up the car. I also broke 1 wheel studs so i put the street tires back on and drove it home.

Took both spindles out because turns out the wheel bearings are both bad as well.. Not making sound, just barely movable by hands.

Bearing out

Extended studs

Then decided to cut some things up

I think this should help. I still need to find a mesh screen to add on to the piping so i don't suck in butterflies or gorillas or something. Lmao!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's funny about the wheel stud. I broke one this past Sunday as well as drivers side axle on my 302whp d16 ek hatch. I've never broken studs even in my 10 second car but it's an excuse to finally go extended the 302whp car. Lol
Old 08-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you torque your lug nuts to? I torque mine to 80 ft lbs with my slicks and circle racing steel wheels.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was using a neo titanium lugs and one decided to strip and won't come out so we ended up with a broken studs. And i don't even torque them i just tighten it as much i can with my hands
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Is that one of the Prayoonto velocity stacks?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
What do you torque your lug nuts to? I torque mine to 80 ft lbs with my slicks and circle racing steel wheels.
I torque mine to 75 ft lbs. I wonder if it's from us switching back and forth between street tires and slicks
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
I torque mine to 75 ft lbs. I wonder if it's from us switching back and forth between street tires and slicks
Idk I have stock studs and use stock lug nuts and my circle racing wheels use the lugs to center the wheel instead of the center hub. I would think that would put more stress on the studs, but I haven't had any problems yet knock on wood. My car also doesn't make a whole lot of power and I always preload when I launch...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it is not one of prayonto's stacks I found it on ebay last year i just never thought of using it until now. AS far as lug nuts i will stick with regular steel and call it a day
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk I have stock studs and use stock lug nuts and my circle racing wheels use the lugs to center the wheel instead of the center hub. I would think that would put more stress on the studs, but I haven't had any problems yet knock on wood. My car also doesn't make a whole lot of power and I always preload when I launch...
Yea I was running stock studs up until the break over the weekend. Now I'm tryin to see who makes the best extended studs before the weekend and times ticking
Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well if the stack ever bores you, lemme know
Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
I could be wrong but it looked as though the traction bar was off brand.
Yep, thats why I asked..I like cheap stuff that works...
..my broke ***.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B and B
Yep, thats why I asked..I like cheap stuff that works...
..my broke ***.

Yep, I try to live within and my means and work with what i have. I think that the has a little bit more in it, i just have to assist my traction issues and put all the power to the ground. Unfortunately, i have no extra cash to finish the brakes so the car has been sitting on the jack stands for the past couple days. It's depressing to look at every time i open the garage. I'm hoping to get it back up and running by this weekend and compete and again by the end of the month. #noretreat #nosurrender
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's up guys, sorry i know it's been a while i got busy with work and another winter project that I'm working on. Still a Sohc but bigger displacement and I'm shooting for 600hp on that one. I'll keep it to myself for now.

Anyway, I was at the track today and did a couple 10sec passes. Good times!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice man looks like a good time. Are you full throttle shifting? And it doesn't look like you have a cage, any plans of putting one in. I just ran fast enough on Friday to legally need a cage.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice man looks like a good time. Are you full throttle shifting? And it doesn't look like you have a cage, any plans of putting one in. I just ran fast enough on Friday to legally need a cage.

I tried but it won't go in on 3rd so i was just guiding it trough the gears. In terms of cage yes they do give a little bit of a hard time but still get to make passes at the end of the day. I might have to actually put one during off season sometimes in the winter.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The shitty part is since your just breaking in the 10's the weight of the cage might make you run 11's again. So you waste that time and money putting the cage then and then all the weight makes you not need it. How fast do you think you can run without one?

Berz out.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigBerz
The shitty part is since your just breaking in the 10's the weight of the cage might make you run 11's again. So you waste that time and money putting the cage then and then all the weight makes you not need it. How fast do you think you can run without one?

Berz out.
The car will run high 10s consitently with a clean pass. I started pushing coolant the last event, but only on boost so i think the headgasket that's going out again. Waiting for another OE HG to be shipped so i can replace it. As far as the cage, I'm sure I'll be fine without it, it's just a matter of how comfortable i am running without one although safety comes first.

Here's some more videos from the last event. Follow me on youtube as I always update recent videos there.

Then I pulled the trigger on these 24.5x9x13 M/t slicks with only a couple passes on it. It better cut some 1.5s that or snap the axles. Lol.

Quick Reply: Jun Villaruz's 62mm 10 Second D16 Project Progress