Notices

JRSC belt help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC belt help

I've just installed a JRSC on a d16z6 on a 93 del sol si. I've had the car running but i'm having problems with my belts.

The car first came with a used 3 rib bando (what the 96-00 cars use) while the 92-95 use the 4 rib. I decided to test it with the 3 rib belt and when i started it before I could get out of the car and look it had jumped from being properly seated inbetween the JRSC's pulley's 4 ribs to being seated off center like ^ ^ V ^ V ^ V as opposed to ^ V ^ V ^ V ^. This belt broke after 38 miles, snaping across all three ribs with a very loud pop and the alternator light comming on.

I thought maybe the belt was old or maybe the 3 ribs were messing it up, so I went out searching for a 4 rib, couldnt find one, but asked bando and they said if I bought a 5 rib I could cut one rib off and be alright. I bought a cheap autozone belt, cut off one rib, pretty straight, but maybe a 1 to 2 mm varience either way, and installed it, let it run for 5 mins and re-tensioned it to 90 lbs. (however if felt much loser then the 3 rib belt that was 90 lbs. 3 ribs would deflect maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, the 4 rib would deflect 1/2 to 3/4) This belt also jumps to the side not landing on the first rib of the jackson racing pulley

Everything ran fine till 37 miles later, it begins to feel like the belt is slipping, there is a liquor store (the only place to stop) about two miles down the road so I figure I'll pull over there, the belt slips maybe 5 times in those two miles, and about 100 yards from the liquor store the alternator light comes on again. This time I pop the hood and the belt has sheared down to two ribs and there are little rubber slices split from the side. The two ribbed belt has streched quite a bit and now cant hold tight on the pulley assembly.

I'm trying to find out why my belts are dying so quick. My alternator pulley has a small dent in the end of it, witch I'm thinking might be putting extra stress on the belt, I had an alternator belt on there for 30k miles with no problems, but thinking maybe the routing before had 2/3rds of the alternator pulley with a belt and now only 1/4 has a belt touching, increasing the amount of pressure put on that bent area. When I install it it doesnt seem to be jumping off the alternator pulley, but havnt had a good look and dont feel like buring through god knows how many more belts to find out.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: JRSC belt help (sleepydude)

Everything needs to be lined up for the belts to last. When I first installed my kit, the belt kept jumping off to one side and would lose ribs, and eventually break after a few hundred miles. I took a long look at the belt's routing and where it seemed to most want to jump to the side, then shimmed that pulley out to the side using a washer or two. Since then, the belt has lasted over a year with no lost ribs.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC belt help (borat)

What model civic was this JRSC kit made for? some kits are offset from others. there is a sohc jr thread in this forum.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: JRSC belt help (daveb91)

its for a 1996 civic, but from what I was told by jackson racing it was supposed to line up, just needed to buy a few new hoses.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC belt help (sleepydude)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1745564