Notices

Intercooler next to half radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler next to half radiator?

I have a 1987 Prelude Si that I am swapping a B18B into, and I am planning on doing a turbo setup at the same time. I have run into a snag with the intercooler setup. This old Honda has a front bumper that does not have a "chin" where one would typically stuff an intercooler.

I tried searching Google and forums, but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Has anyone seen/done an intercooler mounted NEXT to a half width radiator? Currently my car has a full width radiator, but I am thinking of swapping to half width and removing the condenser. I was thinking maybe a vertical flow intercooler could sit next to to the half width radiator? Does that make sense?

My other option is to swap the front bumper for a style with a "chin" like the 92-93 Integra or 89 Accord....I dunno, just want to keep the old girl stock looking.

Any other suggestions?

TIA!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Intercooler next to half radiator?

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I have a 1987 Prelude Si that I am swapping a B18B into, and I am planning on doing a turbo setup at the same time. I have run into a snag with the intercooler setup. This old Honda has a front bumper that does not have a "chin" where one would typically stuff an intercooler.

I tried searching Google and forums, but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Has anyone seen/done an intercooler mounted NEXT to a half width radiator? Currently my car has a full width radiator, but I am thinking of swapping to half width and removing the condenser. I was thinking maybe a vertical flow intercooler could sit next to to the half width radiator? Does that make sense?

My other option is to swap the front bumper for a style with a "chin" like the 92-93 Integra or 89 Accord....I dunno, just want to keep the old girl stock looking.

Any other suggestions?

TIA!

I dont see why not...biggest issue would be sizing of the intercooler depending on how much power you are planning to make. my old del sol had a tiny "dsm" intercooler where the factory air box is located. I wouldnt ezactly recomend that as it is not very efficient due to air flow. But for that build (tiny turbo) and again not making very much power due to small turbo it was ok never really seemed to get hot or anything.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 AM
The Credible Hulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try a DSM side mount in there with a 90 degree coupler on the top... better than nothing for sure. The airbox location mentioned above works OKAY, but I honestly think you could tuck it right in next to the rad with direct airflow and do a lot better than camdizawg did with it in the bay heatsoaking. I have one I'd do for $40 SHIPPED if it looks like a good idea to you.

^That one is NOT mine but it's the same. If interested PM me and I'll send ya a pic of mine.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:55 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, I would love to find something like that, that could support 400 BHP, for my own project. It'd replace the A/C condenser quite nicely...
Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Ya know, I would love to find something like that, that could support 400 BHP, for my own project. It'd replace the A/C condenser quite nicely...
Side mount intercoolers from a Toyota Supra MkIV were well known to support that power level. That modification has been popular in the DSM world for years.