Notices

I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (VERY LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (VERY LONG)

Guys,

I don't post on here often but I am coming to you guys for help. I live in Chicago and have been down for over 4 months with my block. I sent it to RS Machines back in March to have the bottom end re-done with new sleeves, 83mm pistons sponsored from Arias, and all the other required things to build a new fresh block. When speaking to John from RS 4 months ago, he insured me this will be a 2-3 week process and that I should receive it back no later than May, worse case. No problem, I proceeded.

Come early April I was on a business trip to Southern California and decided to swing my RS to check out their machine shop and see John, face to face for the first time since talking to him about my needs at SEMA in 2003. I walked into the shop and was shown the machine area with blocks EVERYWHERE, on the floor, on the shelves, on benches...literally EVERYWHERE. In all the confusion, I was able to spot my block with my name on it. To my disbelief, it had no progress on it.

Mike, the guy giving us the tour, claimed to be the owner and said they just recently moved to this facility and that they are waiting for supporting hardware to arrive so they can get organized. Unfortunately, the move had put a slight damper on their progress, however he insured me that it shouldn't be more than 3 weeks. No problem I can see how a move can be overwhelming. I then concluded my tour with Mike and went to the office to visit John who talked to me about other business. I was a little leery of their progress on my block at this time and shared my concerns with John, but as always, John insured everything was right on track. I asked him to show me my Arias sponsored pistons just for my peace of mind...as expected, he couldn't find them.

I left that day feeling very uncomfortable, however, I have heard of many horror stories in the past from other machine shops and how during their busy season things can get out of hand. I decided to give RS Machines the benefit of the doubt.

Weeks later after I returned back home to Chicago I decided to give John a call to get a status update from him. Calling RS lately for updates turned out to be a MAJOR task of its own. For some odd reason, no one would answer. After days of trying I finally got a hold of a female by the name of Kay who told me John was no longer with RS. All my worse nightmares about RS were coming true. I was a nervous wreck at this point talking to Kay because John had special pricing set up with me and I wasn't sure if he made any notes along the way. Kay told me she would have the owner call me when he got in the afternoon to talk to me. I left it at that for that evening.

2 days later I call again to ask why hasn't the owner called me? Kay wasn't sure why and said he has 100s of calls to make and I'm on his list...he'll get to me when he can. This was nerve racking and really gave me the feeling that something bad is happening to RS. I called back again later that evening and talked to yet another guy who claims to be the owner, Rich, who also told me Mike (the proclaimed owner) is a partner but has no business making decisions since he really is a builder...ok whatever. Rich seemed very sincere the first few phone calls with him. He understood my frustrations and expressed to me that a lot of orders have been messed up and a lot of his company has been messed up due to poor management. Now that he is back in the picture (don't know where he really has been for his own company all this time) things are going to get back on track. Ok, that was reassuring...so we went over pricing (because of course, John never noted it and shared it with Rich) and status and he basically told me that my block has been untouched for the last 2.5 months! Great...so now he knows I'm pissed and how badly I need this block back he starts making his promises and how I need to give him 2 weeks and he'll have a clearer answer for me as to the progression. Fine, I wait 2 weeks and call back...here I go again with the phone tags...no answer. Finally a few days later (roughly 2.5 weeks) I get a hold of Rich and he says now that he understands things, it'll be a solid 2 weeks before this block is ready.

So here I am...4 months into all this and still no block. I called RS yesterday and talked to Kay only to find out that the block was being assembled about 2 weeks ago by Rich since he fired some more people and is having to do the assembly himself now, however, he hasn't been in for over a week and it's been untouched as well. At this point I demand Kay to give me a contact number for Rich so I can get to the bottom of this. She gives me his cell phone number and wishes me good luck in getting a hold of him and tells me to keep leaving messages because that is what she does...great. She was right, I left a message yesterday and a long one too with no call back...yet. Called his cell phone again today and as luck would have it, his voicemail box is full. Seems like I'm not the only one with problems. I call RS Machines, of course, no answer.

Just an hour ago I called Arias Pistons since they seem to have a relationship with RS Machines in hopes of finding out what the deal is. I am hoping they can somehow, some way help me. We shall see.

Not to spread rumors, but I hear from the grape vine that RS is thinking of closing their doors. Yea, didn't see that coming...

Ahad.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (TRM04)

no help here but my block took about 3 months to get to me
rs machine keeps on breaking promises they can never get your block on time.
to there customer service
to the darton sleeves
Old 07-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (TRM04)

Sucky Situation....Been in one of those to Poor Service gotta learn the hard way. I'm Glad there is post like these to help you avoid certain situations. Good Luck Buddy
Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (Redwidow)

ahhaha man it seems like there isnt a good block sleeving companies . aebs took 3 months for mine , fed me fake promises and bullshit . but in the end the quality was perfect so im not going to complain.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (Hella_JDM)

Same **** happened here but when my block finally came 5 months later it was all good except that the block was dirty. but now the rings they sent with my arias 83m pistons are out of spec, sent them back 2nd day air and its been 3 weeks and counting.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (808b18c1boosted)

If it was me. I would say Time for another weekend "business trip" down to RS and really do something about it. I would have picked up my block and taken it somehwere else. Especially after I called and called and didnt get an answer.

Just my $.02

Jon
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (shadow103rd)

Seriousy, best bet is to just have them ship it back to you.

I don't deal with RS Machine anymore...I went thru a nightmare with my personal block, also. Chances are, even if yu get it back it's going to suck...

If you need sleeving, gimme a call and I can have my local guy do it. They do all our blocks now and they ALL come out perfect.

Darton MID Kit.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (Suprdave)

cant go wrong with dartons
Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been in similar situations with other companies. You talk to their sales or someone higher up and they treat you great. Time goes along and you become just another one time customer or worse. I'm sure someone from Arias will get everything straightened out but I think it would be better to talk with Kay and have her ship your block back.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't deal with RS Machine anymore...I went thru a nightmare with my personal block, also. Chances are, even if yu get it back it's going to suck...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had my own experiences with them, they f'ed up my bore, EVEN WHEN I CALLED THEM EVERY WEEK AND MADE SURE. I would never do any business with them again.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (FredoSP)

I should link you to my old post when John and Rich tried to defend there sloppy business practices. I will later, overhaul'n is almost on

After 10354684648 phone calls I got a check back from RS for a refund on my Arias Pistons
Old 07-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my block back from Bensons in less than 2 weeks. No complaints here.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (TGARCIARACING)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGARCIARACING &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had my block back from Bensons in less than 2 weeks. No complaints here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dan benson he's really a robot!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (STD ONEpointSIX)

RS has screwed up numerous blocks from a shop I work with taper bore rules. This is why you buy spare parts to send in and dont expect any import shop to get work done in time.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alld16a)

Average block turn arount time is under 2 weeks at Bensons. Complete builds add another 1.5 weeks or so. Come to the spot where you will be treated with respect. I value every customer.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

Bensons
Earl
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (alld16a)

Sent mine to Earl and Benson. 1 week to get there from the East coast, 2 weeks in the shop, and 1 week back. 1 month as promised. That was including him doing the full disassembley and reassembley balance/blueprint of the shortblock. A++ service. If it can't be done on time, I know it's not their fault.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 PM

i was gonna say... next time buy an extra block, send that in, and sell your existing block when the new one shows up.

more capital to lay down in the first place but less walking / buss pass action.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pete98m3)

Beater Car...thats what every real car guy needs.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Average block turn arount time is under 2 weeks at Bensons. Complete builds add another 1.5 weeks or so. Come to the spot where you will be treated with respect. I value every customer.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-20-2004, 06:46 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (Blown90hatcH)

Hate to tell you, but RS did me the same, took 3 months, I was told 2 weeks. Fortunately, the quality looked good, all tolerances were in spec, I'll cross my finger the sleeves don't sink.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (boostismycrack)

I'm glad Dan Benson and Earl built my block. I got it back sooner than I expected.

Aren't those guys who started up RS the same guy(s) that Benson fired for dickin' off a while back?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (iiilgsrlll)

I too won't ever deal with RS anymore. I had to fix all their lazy mistakes.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Arturbo)

**** man there is alot of scammers out there.

I do not understand it people are willing to pay good money for work and they just do shitty work.

i do not get it
Old 07-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMCRX)

benson here it took only 9 days to get it back,thanks to earl

Quick Reply: I need help! RS Machines had has my block for over 4 months! (VERY LONG)