Notices

how hot does it need to get to warp the cylinder head when overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hot does it need to get to warp the cylinder head when overheating?

particulary how far does the factory water temp gauge have to go for the head to warp? my temp gauge went up a little above the half way mark but not quite to the 3/4 mark and it cooled down when i started to drive.

only when i would be at a stop is when the water temp would climb back up.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how hot does it need to get to warp the cylinder head when overheating? (boostedeg6)

i wouldnt really consider that overheating... a bit warm... but not really overheating... just starting if anything... u really should worry when its pinned on hot!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how hot does it need to get to warp the cylinder head when overheating?

280 degrees f will be starting to do permanent damage.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how hot does it need to get to warp the cylinder head when overheating?

Yea, in my experience once an integra gauge hits halfway there is a cooling issue. I've had mine hit 3/4 and it was about 220-225F on hondata. Nothing was harmed but there was an airflow issue.

I've often wondered what would damage an engine. I've been nowhere near 280F but I would think at that point you're in trouble.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my civic the needle starts to creep above where it normally sitsonce the temp gets to about 215. I've logged 3/4 temp around 230. I wasn't happy with it but no damage was done
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say every one posted above is incorrect and correct.
in a forced inducted motor the usualy main problem is the the rate of speed that the motor heats at, even to normal operating tempatures. there is no set in stone temp!
also over tempetures are suspects to falure.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If his temps are rising at stand still, sounds to me like fans arent working and problem should be corrected. But slightly ove half is about 230 degrees which wont warp anything but its not the best thing for the motor either. Ive been to the redline before when my fan stopped working and i was in traffic not paying attention, thankfully nothing warped but that was pure luck
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question pertaining to this subject.i have also overheated to the redzone due to air bubbles in the cooling system,the probelm has obviously been fixed. I'm about to get tuned in the coming weeks ,shooting for 450 with rods nd pistons with stock sleeves. Has the strength of the sleeves been compromised due to the overheating?( happened about three times) i'm also running e85.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lei Siew Long
particulary how far does the factory water temp gauge have to go for the head to warp? my temp gauge went up a little above the half way mark but not quite to the 3/4 mark and it cooled down when i started to drive.

only when i would be at a stop is when the water temp would climb back up.
So it's happened more than once?
IF it wasn't for very long and not to or past the 3/4 mark doesn't sound too bad. Not saying that it's good but it could have been worse?
You blow the head gasket??
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92frostwhtdb2
i have a question pertaining to this subject.i have also overheated to the redzone due to air bubbles in the cooling system,the probelm has obviously been fixed. I'm about to get tuned in the coming weeks ,shooting for 450 with rods nd pistons with stock sleeves. Has the strength of the sleeves been compromised due to the overheating?( happened about three times) i'm also running e85.
if it was because of air bubbles then it wasnt really running that hot, you just hit an air pcoekt giving false reading most likely. so long as you didnt continue to drive this way and problem was corrected quickly then i dont see it being a problem. Only way to find out is to tune it though. no other answer for you than tune it and see.