Notices

D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible?

my brother has this crazy idea that he can make 290whp by boosting a D series on ALL stock internals + tuning + fmu + cam gear + boost controller etc etc
is he crazy (liek im sure he is) or can he pull it off without needed a new block every time he enters boost?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Vice President/CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

not with an FMU he isnt
Old 05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (kKdARIAN)

if its completely unpheasable, he wants to know what it will take to get him there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not with an FMU he isnt </TD></TR></TABLE>
does this mean "not with just a FMU" or "not if he's unsing a FMU"?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

This is sort of like the 630whp stockblock b16. The difference with B-series and d-series stock parts is that b-series have a better rod and a better rod/stroke ratio. D-series are prone to bending *stock* rods under lots of power, and spinning a rod bearing when reving too high. Not only that, but they hate timing vs b-series, since they have a smaller bore. Thats in addition to the cracking ringlands hondas face with too much timing w/cast pistons.

I say it will last a week, assuming its stock DOHC ZC rods, an A6/Z6 block, an A6 head, and the biggest dish pistons honda makes.

BTW: "Tuning" and "FMU" (likewise with "V-AFC") do not belong in the same sentence when talking about boost. Tell him to take the money spent on the controller, the cam gear, and washer/wheel stem LED blinkers, and put it towards some good rods and pistons.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is sort of like the 630whp stockblock b16. The difference with B-series and d-series stock parts is that b-series have a better rod and a better rod/stroke ratio. D-series are prone to bending *stock* rods under lots of power, and spinning a rod bearing when reving too high. Not only that, but they hate timing vs b-series, since they have a smaller bore. Thats in addition to the cracking ringlands hondas face with too much timing w/cast pistons.

I say it will last a week, assuming its stock DOHC ZC rods, an A6/Z6 block, an A6 head, and the biggest dish pistons honda makes.

BTW: "Tuning" and "FMU" (likewise with "V-AFC") do not belong in the same sentence when talking about boost. Tell him to take the money spent on the controller, the cam gear, and washer/wheel stem LED blinkers, and put it towards some good rods and pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's not a ricer, just misinformed on the subject, one of his co-workers (they are both techs at a honda dealership around here) has built many boosted D-series said it was possible to achieve theese goals on stock internals. my guess is that he was mistaken but there is absolutely NO way of reaching this??
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's not a ricer, just misinformed on the subject, one of his co-workers (they are both techs at a honda dealership around here) has built many boosted D-series said it was possible to achieve theese goals on stock internals. my guess is that he was mistaken but there is absolutely NO way of reaching this??</TD></TR></TABLE>

never did HiProfile mention you or your brother were ricers. It is possible to achieve 290whp on a stock block dseries, but as far as I know, it has only been done twice. here is the thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1478127 It can be done. But it will never be done on a FMU, it would blow the engine really quick. You would need neptune or crome or uberdata, etc.

Here is also the thread where a completely stock block z6 made 308whp: http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=2860
Old 05-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (Mach69)

I'm sure he can with the proper tuning and the right stuff....like said earlier not with an fmu though. The real question would be how long will it last? My old physics teacher would say..."Yes you can boost a stock d series to 290+ hp....once." Basically anything is possible these days just make sure the tuning is spot on.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a person on TampaRacing doing just this, right now, the goal is to see what HP levels the D's can handle and still take some abuse, It will come down to the tune, its not a case were a FMU, or alot of fuel and boost will fix. The car wu=ill be boosted and the car may also be seeing a shot of N20 as well(if I know the owner well enough ), we are looking for 310+....Only time will tell.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blown99civicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown99civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a person on TampaRacing doing just this, right now, the goal is to see what HP levels the D's can handle and still take some abuse, It will come down to the tune, its not a case were a FMU, or alot of fuel and boost will fix. The car wu=ill be boosted and the car may also be seeing a shot of N20 as well(if I know the owner well enough ), we are looking for 310+....Only time will tell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep us informed, or at least me i'm playing the same game too, how much can she handle. I don't have dyno numbers, but i'm up to 17 psi now..... on a y8, still doesn't feel as fast as my y7/y8 at 15 psi. I'll have to do some more tuning, not sure i have enough timing in it.... course that could be saving me too. I'm very interested to see what the stock D can handle, and for how long. I got at least 3000 miles at 15 psi. of hard driving at the end of last summer and fall.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:57 AM

fmu Crome, uber, hondata etc very possible with a good tuner and the right setup to back them up!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series stock internals 290 HP...is it possible? (mr_hahn73)

It is possible but the details are key. ARP head studs and a fresh OEM head gasket are a must. An efficient turbo system is needed but the most important part is a proper tune. We have the 308 WHP stock Z6 engine in our EF hatch. With over 100+ passes at the track (mostly low 12's and now recently 11.8's) we haven't had any problems.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

278hp on stock block ZC

http://www.thezcr.com/forums/s...13622

Old 05-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (crxrocks)

I definately agree with epic about the head gasket and arp headstuds. D-Series like to lift heads!