Notices

Hondata and timing maps for boost vs. distributor base timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata and timing maps for boost vs. distributor base timing

Ok, I have Hondata Stage 4(b). I've got my **** dyno'd and tuned right now. The problem is my base timing (at the distibutor) is set at 20 deg vs 16 stock. This makes power everywhere which is good, however when I boost the car it will be bad (real soon- it's on order). I'm not sure how to change the maps... here's why:

A while back when Hondata had their "forum" board someone posted this simple explination of how the timing tables work. It was like:

Base timing + table value = actual timing vs TDC

Simple and easy, but WRONG. Then this Hondata dude got on and had like a 1 page disertation on how the timing maps actually work off the crank angle sensor in the distibutor, which is different than the crank, and you needed to do something which I obvoiusly don't understand or I wouldn't be posting.

Should I set my timing back to stock 16 deg, add the 4 deg all over the timing map, then decrease from this value .5 deg per pound of boost? Or should I go back to the stock setting (which is actually more advanced) and then retard from this value?

Yes I read their web page on the new "boost option" but that's not what I'm asking about...

Thanks in advance (get it?)
Sean
Old 08-13-2002, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hondata and timing maps for boost vs. distributor base timing (hybridsol)

Ok, I have Hondata Stage 4(b). I've got my **** dyno'd and tuned right now. The problem is my base timing (at the distibutor) is set at 20 deg vs 16 stock. This makes power everywhere which is good, however when I boost the car it will be bad (real soon- it's on order). I'm not sure how to change the maps... here's why:

A while back when Hondata had their "forum" board someone posted this simple explination of how the timing tables work. It was like:

Base timing + table value = actual timing vs TDC

Simple and easy, but WRONG. Then this Hondata dude got on and had like a 1 page disertation on how the timing maps actually work off the crank angle sensor in the distibutor, which is different than the crank, and you needed to do something which I obvoiusly don't understand or I wouldn't be posting.

Should I set my timing back to stock 16 deg, add the 4 deg all over the timing map, then decrease from this value .5 deg per pound of boost? Or should I go back to the stock setting (which is actually more advanced) and then retard from this value?

Yes I read their web page on the new "boost option" but that's not what I'm asking about...

Thanks in advance (get it?)
Sean
when you go turbo, youll end starting with a new map anyhow. just set static to 16 degrees, find a suitable base map and tune from there.

or