Notices

Help identifying smoke in vacuum culprit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying smoke in vacuum culprit

PLEASE VIEW POSTS FOR UPDATES?MORE INFORMATION

I recently got a turbo kit put on my car. All parts are new except the turbo(Precision SC61), which has allegedly 3k miles on it. Has/had no shaft play at all. The motor is still a stock internal GSR which has never burn more then .5 quarts over the period of an oil change with me beating on it. Motor has ARP head studs and an oem head gasket.

Upon start up and light driving, i noticed no smoke at all. I had a friend follow behind me for a little while to confirm. At this point the car was untuned but i richened it up to a safe point via S300 and my wide band. While he was following me, i spooled the turbo a little, maybe 3-5psi and still no smoke. So i thought all was good. The next day i went up to innovative motor works in Carlisle PA for a dyno tune.

On the dyno, the part throttle tuning was great. No issues, no smoke. When he started getting into the mid load tuning we noticed a little bit of blue smoke, nothing too heavy, once he reached a few psi. Off the throttle, no smoke.

Then the full throttle tuning started, and the smoke came. the pulls started at 3k and ended at 5k,6k, and finally 7k. On the first pull, the blue smoke was there, still in the same amount but upon letting off the throttle a cloud of white smoke puffed out and continued for about 3 seconds i would say. He pulled the #3 plug and it was dry, and the color was good. we both kinda figured the used turbo was burning some oil.

The next pull to 6k brought more power and more off throttle smoke. This time the pure white smoke continued for about 8 seconds. The last pull was to 7k. Still a little blue smoke while WOT but when he let off it was alot of smoke. So bad i really couldnt tell how long it lasted lol. We decided to stop there for the sake of our lungs.

After the pulls, i checked the oil level, and he checked out all of the plugs. The level was on the money and all the plugs were dry and looked fine. I drove home the 2 hr drive, and here are the results:

- Didn't smoke at all on the way home(i didn't build any boost though)
- The oil still has not burned
- The oil return line is not kinked(-12an)
- Still no shaft play
- Still no smoke any other time

At first, i thought it was turbo for sure, but with the amount of smoke that was there i kinda figured the oil level would have changed Post up some advice

Modified by EJ8chu at 9:01 AM 10/28/2008
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help identifying smoke in vacuum culprit (EJ8chu)

when my turbo shaft seals were starting to go i would get unusual smoking periods with a variety of different blue/white/gray smoke. even though the shaft has little to no play in it the seals would still leak into the down pipe. i put in a rebuild chra and the problems went away.

do you have an oil pressure restrictor before the turbo? how big is your oil feed line? how much engine oil pressure does your engine produce? what grade of engine oil are you using now?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not have a restrictor but I'm ordering one today. My feed is -3an. I'm not sure on oil pressure but it should be just about stock i would say. And i run 10w-30 oil.

Drove it today to the mall and back, gave it some boost. No smoke while on the gas, but when i let off it plooms. Just pulled off the charge pipes and they are clean as a button. Still no oil burnt
Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
i ♥ snails

do a leakdown test and then you can rule the motor out, valve seals could cause high rpm vaccum oil leakage, then id move on down the line to the turbo.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm not sure how a turbo install could effect my normal valve seals before though. I'm really thinking the head gasket is lifting. My car burn virtually no oil before the install, and so far it still seems that no oil has burnt. Where is a reputable place to buy t3/t4 rebuilt parts if need be?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EJ8chu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8chu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm not sure how a turbo install could effect my normal valve seals before though. I'm really thinking the head gasket is lifting. My car burn virtually no oil before the install, and so far it still seems that no oil has burnt. Where is a reputable place to buy t3/t4 rebuilt parts if need be?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If your headgasket is lifting the smoke wouldn't be bluish and you would probably be running real high ects + possibly blowing coolant out of the overflow.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the smoke after being on the throttle building boost that is my major issue, which is purely white
Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just did a leakdown test. Cylinders 1,3,4 were around 7% and cylinder 2 was just about 10%. At this point impretty sure its the turbo. At this point, could it be anything else?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still no oil burnt, coolant may be a tad lower, but im noticing some carbon type blackness in the overflow
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8chu)

Just got home from lunch, popped my hood and on the #1 side of the motor, there is oil everywhere. Its not coming from the cam seals, i know that for sure and it looks like air is blowing oil all over my engine bay where its leaking. I'm pretty sure its my head gasket at this point