Notices

Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (thx Full Race)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (thx Full Race)

UPDATED!

Root Cause:

UPDATE:
I added a "'heat shield" to protect from another blowout. This worked of except I had a blowout from the turbo flange, officially melting the rest of my cam cover.

As you can see, my homemade cover was just not long enough. I just didn't think that a turbo flange blowout would effect the cover from that far away.

So now I have replaced all the plastic and timing belt and gone to an OEM heat shield. Also added some Nordlocks on the manifold flange and safety wired the turbo flange.

Hopefully this won't happen again:

Modified by mrlegoman at 5:49 PM 9/10/2007
Old 07-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (mrlegoman)

never seen that before
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (eg crunkmonster)

Heat wrap will see you right and you mani won't corrode. Is the HPC extreme the super expensive stuff normally only avilable in black?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've got something wrong. Your hood paint is discolored and the timing belt cover melted. For whatever reason, your EGT's have to be WAYY higher than normal...
Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heat wrap will see you right and you mani won't corrode. Is the HPC extreme the super expensive stuff normally only avilable in black? </TD></TR></TABLE>I originally thought the extreme coating was black ony. But I had the coating done through Full-Race who sent it to HPC. And this is how it came back. I'm going to contact Tony this week and see whats up.

PS: Even the regular HPC coating is suppose to be good up to 1400, right?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You've got something wrong. Your hood paint is discolored and the timing belt cover melted. For whatever reason, your EGT's have to be WAYY higher than normal...</TD></TR></TABLE>When I did my temp test (which I still haven't posted yet), my manifold didn't exceed 800 F. Now this is the first weekend I've had the car on track. I will try to get a temp reading tomorrow directly after a hot lap.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say the integrity of your timing belt is now seriously compromised as well. I'd get to the root cause and definitely replace the timing belt.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

that looks like your EGTs have gotten extremely hot. with the coating coming off and that plastic melting, there is some extreme heat there. From all the guys i've tuned, i've yet to see anyone get anything like that and i've seen some extremely shitty setups in my time.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (seen4ever)

U sure u didn't have a fire under there? BTW is that an e or s cover i see you have a filter routed with that full race a/c manifold?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrlegoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I did my temp test (which I still haven't posted yet), my manifold didn't exceed 800 F. Now this is the first weekend I've had the car on track. I will try to get a temp reading tomorrow directly after a <U>hot lap</U>.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you have made enough hot laps
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrlegoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I did my temp test (which I still haven't posted yet), my manifold didn't exceed 800 F. Now this is the first weekend I've had the car on track. I will try to get a temp reading tomorrow directly after a hot lap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do a temp test on your egt's too, i think youll get more info from that then from a manifold temp test. Do a pull on the highway and a highway-speed cruise, that will give you a lot more info i think

cause that aint normal!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 AM
I've quit using this account

how does your timing look?
if its to retarded it can cause higher egt.

not sure that it would cause them to be high enough to melt stuff and flake the coating, but i guess anything is possible.

with as many full race manifold that are out there, this is the first time ive heard of this problem, which means it may noy be a full race problem

just trying to help.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kelly.)

yeah that doesn't look like ceramic coating, looks like high temp powdercoat that chipped off , sorry that happend to ya
Old 07-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I did my temp test (which I still haven't posted yet), my manifold didn't exceed 800 F. Now this is the first weekend I've had the car on track. I will try to get a temp reading tomorrow directly after a hot lap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Taking at temp after few hot laps wont give you a reading worth more than jackshit. You need to put an EGT gauge to see what the temperature of the exhaust gasses exiting the head are. One you take away the source of the heat, the steel will quickly start to cool off.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm seeing a nice place to bolt a piece of steel to for a heat shield. I would have done that first thing. Also you could have an exhaust leak on the manifold spewing hot gasses towards the cover.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (dsmdan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmdan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm seeing a nice place to bolt a piece of steel to for a heat shield. I would have done that first thing. Also you could have an exhaust leak on the manifold spewing hot gasses towards the cover.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that were the case you would most likely see carbon buildup on the block form the exhaust gasses.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (dsmdan)

A heat shield wouldn't hurt, but like was said, you need some EGT readings while you are out on the track on it hard.

I did a track day thursday, and was around 210 water and 210 oil all day, untill the last run, when i started to really push it. 90's and very humid here, i got my water up to 240, and oil too. I however have no issues with melting things under my hood, not the same setup obviously, but none the less. Do you have a wideband hooked up in your car? Plus, just measuring your manifold at the end, it only took one turn and half a straightaway for me to drop my high temps back to 210. And, it is always recommended that you do a cool down lap to help your car out.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (coneheadsracing)

dude thats not ceramic coating. u need the white ceramic coating thats like .015 thou thick i forgot who makes it tho. its only one company that does it that way,

i think they call it white lightning or seomthing
Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (nickromeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickromeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude thats not ceramic coating. u need the white ceramic coating thats like .015 thou thick i forgot who makes it tho. its only one company that does it that way,

i think they call it white lightning or seomthing</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.swaintech.com
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (ladysman)

there is actually a factory sheild that bolts there to prevent the belt from heating up... i dont know if that would help in your situation. dont blame full-race or whoever coated your manifold. there is another problem you need to fix
Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (cubish)

That reminds me of my old truck when the timing was waaaaaay off. I started it and within 20 secs of idleing the headers were glowing red. Shortly there after the header coating began to flake off, much like this one is.

As others have said, something is wrong with the car. Coatings work good untill they are heated beyond their limit, then they are pretty much what you have.

Try not to blame anyone or any company until you KNOW the reason why it is like that. I have never seen uncoated manifolds melt stuff like that so I doubt the coating is to blame.

Maybe that radiator is blocking any air from getting into the engine bay to help cool it down? Creating an oven and then add the excessive exhaust temp and there ya go...melted stuff in engine bay. ???
Old 07-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (cubish)

YES definately not HPC at least the HPC from AZ. I had my stuff done there and you CAN NOT chip it off it would never flake off, Grinding and high speed wire brush can scrap it off.. Your manny looks like some type of cheap alternative. Like some one above said... As for your melting problem, just be glad your not in AZ, hope you get here fixed though..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (Redwidow)

To add I have never seen this happen with a good manifold and a car that is running right. Nice sticker by the way, funny but not really funny when your car catches on fire.

What manifold are you using?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is your dump tube? For that to melt like that your EGT's must be sky high
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You've got something wrong. Your hood paint is discolored and the timing belt cover melted. For whatever reason, your EGT's have to be WAYY higher than normal...</TD></TR></TABLE> Tony's right...

I've melted all 3 over my covers and cracked half of #1 runner before because I was being a dumbarss!!! I was running super lean already from being untuned but went ahead and ran a bike for about 45 minutes straight doin about 135+ the whole time just so I can make it home from a long long trip...

Your motor had to be running so hot and your manifold was probably glowin like crap for those covers to melt like that... Anyhow goodluck on your issue and IMO go get a wideband and check your tune if you dont have one...

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had their cam gear cover melt? (thx Full Race)