Notices

GT2871 - Is this turbo suitable for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2871 - Is this turbo suitable for me?

Good afternoon guys.

Im currently building parts up for my DC2 ITR with a goal in mind for 350 bhp at the flywheel which will be used as a weekend car and used on an occasional trackday but with the ability to increase the power when wanted without minimal changes to the set up. the plan is to make this a fun set up with good driveability. any advice on the set up I have of any improvements that can be made would be appreciated

My spec list so far is this.

B18C4 block - plan to purchase forged pistons and rods ( not worked out CPR/brand of parts yet )
S9B gearbox
refresh all gaskets, seals, oil pump and waterpump when i build the block
skunk2 inlet manifold with ITR TB.
ITR cams
new coil,cap and rotor for dizzy
golden eagle fuel rail
Turbosmart fuel pressure reg
ID 1000cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Competition clutch stage 4 sprung mounted on ITR flywheel
Fluidyne half size radiator with pacet fan
Mishimoto 25 row oil cooler
Hondata s300 v3 with BBG set up

The final main parts im needing to purchase is a good manifold of some description, JDL ram horn is what ive got my eye on at the moment - open to opinions though.
intercooler and pipes needed, tial wastegate and dump valve.

I've been reccomended a GT2871 as a good option for my power goals - any experiences with this turbo on a similar set up would be much appreciated. is there any other turbos out there which are better suited for my needs? in the UK we unfortunately dont have lovely long motorways so this car will normally see twisty roads which is another reason ive been reccomended the gt2871 for a good spool time but any other options please fire away im new to the turbo honda scene so still figuring out alot of this stuff along the way.

Cheers
Luke
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GT2871 - Is this turbo suitable for me?

Perfect turbo for your setup.

For.the manifold, just get a cast one. They are only $100 on ebay and will work just fine for.your setup.

For the intercooler core and pipes, you can spend as.much as you want on them, but again the cheap ebay stuff will work.just fine for.your goals. You can.get a whole.kit with intercooler, piping, couplers, and clamps for like $120

Keep the compression close to stock. 10.5-11:1 will be nice and peppy.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F22Master
Perfect turbo for your setup.

For.the manifold, just get a cast one. They are only $100 on ebay and will work just fine for.your setup.

For the intercooler core and pipes, you can spend as.much as you want on them, but again the cheap ebay stuff will work.just fine for.your goals. You can.get a whole.kit with intercooler, piping, couplers, and clamps for like $120

Keep the compression close to stock. 10.5-11:1 will be nice and peppy.
Thanks for your advice but I'm reluctant to finish off my build with eBay parts to be honest after saving up for quality parts all the way through the build, anyone with any personal experience of gt2871 turbo?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO. A cast manifold would be fine for your power goals and would be worry free from cracking... even an EBAY one.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you MUST spend money needlessly... Then get the InlinePro cast SS manifold.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ITR cams and cast/log manifolds are not an ideal set-up. Been there done that, reversion sucks. Get a nice ram horn to finish off a nice build.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F22Master
If you MUST spend money needlessly... Then get the InlinePro cast SS manifold.
Thats not the case at all just ive been there in the past where you buy cheap, you buy twice because you're disappointed in the quality. But i will look into the Inlinepro cast manifold. I've always been under the impression the the log type manifolds wont flow as well as a ram horn. I know the goal posts will move at some point and the boost bug will make me want more which is why im trying to do it right once. but appreciate everyones feedback as like I said, im no expert
Old 11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might not move the air AS efficiently as an equal length ramhorn, but the fact is, it's not imperative that you use one for your power goals.

No one is going to plan for your future. If you think you'll be shooting for over 400whp by next spring, then sure, get something that flows better.

At the end of the day, your tune is going to have a much larger effect on on how efficient your setup is than whatever manifold you decide to use. Choose a competent and experienced tuner and you will be happy with the setup regardless of what you decide.