Notices

GSR BUILD 500+ HP...the beginning

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR BUILD 500+ HP...the beginning

This is my FIRST post.
I am currently driving a boosted LS/V. JDM non-v 1.8 block, USDM B16A2 head, Ebay 35R. Minor necessary bolt ons...

My goal - 500+ HP daily driver (for the time being)

My new parts

-ACL Race Series Bearings and Thrust Bearings
-ARP Flywheel Bolts
-ARP Balancer Bolt
-Bisimoto 4340 H-Beam Rods with ARP Rod Bolts
-CP Pistons SC7020 84mm 9:1
-Supertech Valvetrain ( Ex/In valves, Retainers, Springs, Valve seals, Valve locks, Valve guides )
-ARP Head Stud Kit
-ARP Main Stud Kit
-Skunk 2 Pro Series 1 Cams (I have no desire to use these. Any other recommendations?)
-Skunk 2 Pro Series Cam Gears
-Moroso Oil Pan

In the picture below you can see my current setup.
Parts I plan to use from this setup include:
-Head
-Intake Mani
-Intercooler / Piping / Bov / Wastegate
-Turbo
-Exhaust (3 in. nothing but pipe)
-Exhaust Mani

Both of my clutches are in great condition. I don't drive much.
I have a SPEC and ACT. Going to use whichever looks better.

Not to say I'm going for a budget build, obviously I haven't been concerned with that thus far, but my turbo... Not concerned with buying a new one.

I'm thinking about Garret Rebuild. New Inducer and exducer wheels, gaskets, etc? The housings are in great condition, no cracks, blemishes, nothing.
If this is a fine idea, what size wheels should I consider getting?
Mid range to top end power, while maintaining a good spool.

What kind of headgasket should I get?
-FPR?
-Wahlboro 255
-ID 1000cc

Any recommendations for necessary upgrades? Anything I'm missing?
Also, I'm from central Maryland. Any ideas on where I should send my block for good prices on sleeves?

HTML Code:
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/saSk7/embed"></iframe>

Last edited by masternk; 04-24-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Didn't include parts
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR BUILD 500+ HP...the beginning

500 hp is sleeve territory man u might want to consider getting a sleeved block for a 500 hp dd. have a look into the silver surfer and reaper turbos from stc. im sure the shodan will be commenting shortly on your thread and can point u in the right direction. are u looking to do this on pump gas? headgasket, oem is fine. and the fuel system needed, your 1000s are good but u may want more pressure than just a single 255 maybe dual 255s. on pump u may have some issues breaking the 500hp mark but with a set of cams and e85 or whatever race fuel u have available (water/meth maybe) u can do it. good luck.

you pics are not coming through, might be because you are still new, try again after 5 posts.

u should read calidads thread there is a **** ton of info there that u are looking for.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/my-b18c1-engine-build-assembly-2951496/
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan to sleeve my block. Not sure where to send.
Pump gas.
I will look into the pumps. Mike from CCT recommended some monster fuel pump but I font recall what it was..
What are some other cams to consider? I want some good ones.

Thanks White Rice. I'll read up on that.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Benson sleeves and they are great talk to mike laskey. he can hook you up on some parts and info.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Laskey is the LAST guy that would scam you.. Fuc*kin' google doesn't work all the time, especially if the name "mike" is mentioned.

http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/internals.htm

Real people, real builds, no BS..

That "+" in 500+ always makes the build interesting doesn't it?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha this I know Shodan. Still, not trying to send my block across the country.
And you like that don't you? Allow me to rephrase, I'd like to tune to the efficiency of my turbo to generate as much power as possible. Approx 20 psi should bring me within that area. Correct?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure sending it won't cost that much .
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike Laskey is building my engine as we speak. GREAT guy, always answers any stupid questions i have and let me change my order. Do your research on him, very highly recommended on this site. TheShodan is the same, he will be building my turbo, and is also very willing to help out with any questions i had. RESEARCH is your friend. : )
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by masternk
Haha this I know Shodan. Still, not trying to send my block across the country.
And you like that don't you? Allow me to rephrase, I'd like to tune to the efficiency of my turbo to generate as much power as possible. Approx 20 psi should bring me within that area. Correct?
Ummm. you've listed no turbocharger type at all. "20psi" doesn't mean anything without the correct wheels. simply because you have an older cartridge, doesn't mean a 'rebuild' would work. Just changing "wheels" may not be possible. you can't build a setup on "20psi" when you don't know what airflow "20psi" would give.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. Unless you know exactly what compressor / exhaust wheels and cartridge you have, don't worry about what "psi' would make whatever power you're looking for.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People seem to like Aeromotive and Fuelab fuel pressure regulators. AEM and B&M are junk from what ive read. Walbro offers a 400lph fuel pump that i plan on using and i believe aeromotive also offers a 340lph pump.

As far as your springs and retainers go i would suggest using Skunk2 pro series valvetrain. Supertechs are stiffer and will work but will cause premature wear on your rocker assembly.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa man... Whoa. Let's slow down and read everything I wrote. It's a simple ebay 35r. Now I'm sure you may not like that because everybody wants to see brand name turbos. If that's a problem, sorry. Your want to know the housing sizes? I know that a 35r efficiency range is around 20 psi... Correct? I asked about purchasing a rebuild kit and buying new wheels.. Which size specifically to increase potential output.. With that being said, I'm tuning to the efficiency of the turbo. Whatever horsepower I get I will ride with until I decide to make changes.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM

Whoa man... Whoa. Let's slow down and read everything I wrote. It's a simple ebay 35r. Now I'm sure you may not like that because everybody wants to see brand name turbos. If that's a problem, sorry. Your want to know the housing sizes? I know that a 35r efficiency range is around 20 psi... Correct? I asked about purchasing a rebuild kit and buying new wheels.. Which size specifically to increase potential output.. With that being said, I'm tuning to the efficiency of the turbo. Whatever horsepower I get I will ride with until I decide to make changes.
I see that in the first sentence now. But when you said rebuild, it seemed like a GT35. since even the ebay 35Rs rebuild terribly.

Look, I'm not going to judge whether you use an Ebay turbo or regular legitimate turbocharger, as I'm sure you're aware of that debate. However, until you understand just what you have, you can't really get into talk of efficiency levels and speculation of boost pressures. the ebay GT35s are not the same profile as even the turbonetics or Precision or Garrett units..

That's why I'm not upset or angry or even worried. Just get it together and if your "rebuild" is successful, let it do what it does; let the tuner do their job, and just enjoy what you can get out of it...fair enough
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. you have no idea what size your "35R" is, an ebay turbo can be advertised as anything they want, and have totally different specs than what they claim.

2. you need to know what size the housings are, and what A/R they are, as well as measure the inducer/exducer on each side to even begin to know what kind of turbo you actually have, chances are very slim that it is sized like a true 35R.

3. It is a major crap shoot as to wrather or not that turbo was manufactured in such a way that it can even accept true garrett replacment parts.

4. For such a serious build with a seemingly good list of parts and a goal of 500+ whp, why would you even bother with an ebay turbo? I know you already have it and your not asking for judgement on what turbo you use, but the facts are:

That turbo probably wont get you the power your looking for
And when it does **** the bed, it could take out your $4000+ built motor with it, hardly seems like its worth the risk...
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mac just sell him a reaper and call it a day. Speaking of which..... I may want one in the future--After im done playing with the surfer :D
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PTE SC3132
Journal Bearing
.60/.63

Picking it up this weekend
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PTE SC3132
Journal Bearing
.60/.63

Good luck getting 500+
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PTE SC3132
Journal Bearing
.60/.63

way to small...
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you might make low to mid 400's with that turbo maxxed out......