Notices

Gooch's-JDM B18C w/ JRSC+LHT build/issue thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gooch's-JDM B18C w/ JRSC+LHT build/issue thread

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
The ASP pulley fits much better and comes in any size desired.
I would consider purchasing another pulley if it fit better, I checked their site but only found crank shaft pulleys, is it a custom unit they produce? Do you have past experience with them?

Originally Posted by D-Rob
The car looked great on track this week!
Thanks D-Rob, did I meet you on the way out in the caravan?

Looks like his shank is shorter than the pully not longer as stated.
This is correct, shank on alternator is shorter than pulley and was thinking maybe I needed to get something to fill the gap.

Was also considering having aluminum welded to fill the hole on the pulley and then have it re-machined by a friend of mine, but that's probably crazy. Thanks for all replies
Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ASP pulley is the same as the MVM and ENDYN
the only diffrence is its 14% not 12%
Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MRGRIM
so I should see a boost increase??? Im going to try contacting them today. Thanks guys!

I think once this minor problem is solved I will have to replace my warped rotors and then start a diet for the car. No more street/track car but more of a track car I occasionaly drive on the street. Cheers
Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GOOCH-JDM-ITR
Thanks D-Rob, did I meet you on the way out in the caravan?
Yep, I was in the silver AP1 with bronze RPF1's. And my buddy's interesting "Leave Ben Affleck Alone" painter's tape message on the side.

AND the super-stiff painter-tape roll bar.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is not correct, the ASP pulley comes in any size desired and are built in house made to order. The Endyn pulley has alignment issues I am not sure if the MVM has similar issues.

You will need to call ASP to order pulleys. They also can make snout pulleys to order. If I remember correctly both pulleys cost me in the neighborhood of $225. Their upper pulley is an good upgrade over the JRSC pulley because it has the outer lips on the sides that help prevent the belt jumping off. I have been told they can also make both pulleys in 5 rib, but you would have to verify that your application has clearance and belt availability.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is not correct, the ASP pulley comes in any size desired and are built in house made to order. The Endyn pulley has alignment issues I am not sure if the MVM has similar issues.

You will need to call ASP to order pulleys. They also can make snout pulleys to order. If I remember correctly both pulleys cost me in the neighborhood of $225. Their upper pulley is an good upgrade over the JRSC pulley because it has the outer lips on the sides that help prevent the belt jumping off. I have been told they can also make both pulleys in 5 rib, but you would have to verify that your application has clearance and belt availability.
Thanks for the info, going to give them a call today. I would like to get a 3.8 pulley for the charger but don't think I can get it off with out taking off the I/M and I'm really trying to avoid that. Hmmm 5 rib sounds nice.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rob
Yep, I was in the silver AP1 with bronze RPF1's. And my buddy's interesting "Leave Ben Affleck Alone" painter's tape message on the side.

AND the super-stiff painter-tape roll bar.
Was that roll bar up to spec?

It was nice to meet you, I would have liked to chat more about more options for my car...Next time I'm around the Carlisle area I will have to stop in to your shop, it was Derek right?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
R.I.P. Mark

ASP made my stepper pulley and the spec they supply it in is 14%
Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ASP made my stepper pulley and the spec they supply it in is 14%
Thanks Grim! I sent them an email today so will see what they say with regards to pricing and sizing
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gooch, I have some questions for you based on the photo's that you have posted of your alt/pulley failure.
MVM actually makes two different pulleys and two bore modifications to fit all "B" series alternators Globally. The stepper pulley should provide ample thread purchase with your 22mm nut. An improper alternator and pulley marriage can cause this... and this has been a common problem with other manufactures of these pulley types.

Call me early next week and we can get you fixed up and back on track. Buying an ASP pulley will not be necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GOOCH-JDM-ITR
Was that roll bar up to spec?

It was nice to meet you, I would have liked to chat more about more options for my car...Next time I'm around the Carlisle area I will have to stop in to your shop, it was Derek right?
Yep, swing on by!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jim, I've been using the stepper you sent me a couple years ago without fail. Love it! Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ComptechGSRSC
Jim, I've been using the stepper you sent me a couple years ago without fail. Love it! Thanks
^^^THIS! I want to reiterate that point one-thousand times over. Jim has been instrumental in this whole process. I believe that my problem that occurred here is install error. When I ordered the pulley from JIM @ MVM and received it, I likely ordered the wrong pulley to begin with. Being I was mid-install, anxious, and excited to get the charger in, I continued to install anyways, just using loctite as a band aid on the 2-3 threads the nut was grabbing, certainly not enough. Yes it held up for 2 years, but after beating the **** out of my car the nut came loose, destroying the pulley. NOT a part failure but user/install error.

I would also like to state that Jim is such an incredible/knowledgeable guy that he not only tracked me down on the internet to help remedy the situation(who does that), he also spent a fair amount of time on the phone with me and is genuinely interested in getting me back on the road, quickly. I wish all business owners could be like this, not just interested in the bottom line, but more interested in helping the customers and community that are your market.

Long story short, Jim found my thread, I contacted him, we ascertained I ordered the wrong pulley 2 years ago (GSR chassis w/JDM ITR engine,but maybe a base model alternator), he is now sending me out (what we believe) is the correct pulley, and has gone WAY out of his way to make sure he can help me. Will post updates once I receive the new pulley. THANKS JIM @ MVM (MotorVationsMotorsport)
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't agree more with that statement. Jim is a stand up guy. I called MVM one day to ask about belt slippage and he not only answered my question and gave me suggestions on how to correct the slippage, but he explained in great detail about the JRSC setup. Must have spent over an hour on the phone with him. In my (honda) experience, that kind of dedication and customer service has only been matched by Sean Church up at Church's Automotive. Need more people like that.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondalocal
I couldn't agree more with that statement. Jim is a stand up guy. I called MVM one day to ask about belt slippage and he not only answered my question and gave me suggestions on how to correct the slippage, but he explained in great detail about the JRSC setup. Must have spent over an hour on the phone with him. In my (honda) experience, that kind of dedication and customer service has only been matched by Sean Church up at Church's Automotive. Need more people like that.

Again nothing but praise to Jim at MVM (motorvations motorsports) in Alabama. After spending a fair amount of time with Jim on the phone --during his lunch break -- we determined that I had indeed ordered the wrong pulley for my Type R engine. I guess I have a GSR alternator on there. Well Jim quickly sent out a replacement pulley for me to get me back up and running. He sells two types of stepper pulleys for the JRSC kit. One is called type B and is specifically for Type R alternators. This was the first one I ordered and it does not go as deep on the inside as the other pulley, the TYPE A--made for all the other alternators. The TYPE A is what I should have ordered originally as the inside goes deeper and allows more threading of the nut onto the alternator shaft bolt. (see crude drawing below)

So now I have my alternator pulley back on, alternator back in (after much cursing and finagling, I was able to replace it from the bottom of the car, which was a PITA but probably easier than taking out the charger again and going from the bottom. But it is a challenge to get in there because its all so tight and most bolts must be dealt with by touch, not site. So thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! JIM @ MVM for helping me in get back on the road...onto more issues, my tune(see next post)

**note the type B pulley in my diagram is where my pulley has been stretched out to, it comes with a steady 17mm through the center, after my incident the bottom part stretched. My measurements are rough and for my setup and should not necessarily be used as anything more than a reference.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So my MTX-L wideband died...I replaced the 02 sensor thinking this was the issue but it still isn't working so I plugged up the exhaust bung and sent back the unit for fixing. In the meantime I'm not sure what to do about the tune on my car. It has no power,it wont go into vtec, or BOOST--I tried for a second just to see. My buddy said I should run the car in closed loop mode, but I'm not sure how to do this- my Hondata knowledge is very limited.

Could a car that was tuned with a wideband and was using it's input for the tune be switched over to NOT use the wideband signal and still run normally or do I just have to wait until that unreliable POS returns from Innovate Motorsports fixed (after I pay them $ to fix it). I do still have the x2 stock 02 sensors in the car and running.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^you can run open loop.

It's literally one check box in the software and then save the map again.

It will run off the wot maps the whole time, but it won't hurt anything.
That's how you tune for power anyway.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Bump for an interesting thread
Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did it! Thanks for all those who helped. ---It was rather easy to get the car into OPEN LOOP mode, I was just nervous. Car feels slightly faster on the *** dyno. Anyways thhe wide-band was sent back to Innovate Motorsports who confirmed the gauge was dead. They sent me back a new one, hope this one lasts more than 3000 miles. Based on the fact that they state a $45 fee + shipping to fix any product over 6 months old, and mine is pushing 1.5 years. AND the fact they didn't charge me anything to replace it (other than the time and huge inconvenience) I'm happy. IT did take 1 month from the date I sent it to get it back but it was free, so YAY! The thing shouldn't have broken in the first place. Anyways I know people complain about their service, and they DIDNT respond to my emails as to if they received it and what the problem was but they remedied the situation to my satisfaction so on to other issues. I will likely reinstall this after the cold has gone
Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the Bump! So as winter is starting to creep in, the car is getting ready to be stored for the next 5 months. This time of year is bittersweet as I cant drive the car, but I can work on making it faster for next year. Some big plans for 2014, mainly to work on improving the driver (me) by committing to more track days than I have ever completed in a year (7).

I intend to really make a push over the winter to make this car more track ready, less weekend whip.

Parts List to Install:
CRV pulley (sandblast-paint-install)
Re-tune car at more boost (maybe 10+ lbs)

Parts List to Acquire:
Racing Seats
5 pt harnesses
Roll bar (welded in) or Roll cage -depending on money
Front splitter from SPM
Rims w/ race rubber or close to it.
custom 4-1 short tube header (kamikaze style but based off a generic RMF header)

Will keep the thread updated as I acquire parts and install.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm anxious to get mine tuned. CRV crank and MVM stepper, 4.0 blower. & LHT. What's this SPM splitter you mention? Luckily in the midwest here we have warm and cold spurts throughout winter so no storage. It was 25-30 last week and 65 today so I drove it. It'll be great to see your results as you start checking parts off that to-do list! Great job man, I always enjoy the updates!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Lol i forgot about this thread. BUT i DID literally less than 10 hours ago pick up a jrsc myself!! Im so excited to tear into it and get it ready. But Im missing the brackets and pulleys. the guy who i got it from did however supply the alternator pulley so Im content with that.

Anyone know where i can buy parts individually to piece together my own aftercooler setup??
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep asking around and check the forums. there's a lot of them including
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2A-official-jrsc-thread%2A%2A%2A-1214810/
you might add to your signature what you're looking for. I have the alternator pulley that came with the JRSC if that helps at all, PM me and let me know.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a JRSC kit last month, gonna go in in a couple months, after sending it LHT and getting a stepper pulley. Googled LHT GSR JRSC and found this thread. Went through it all in a few days and just wanted to say its been a great read! Been about a month since updates though, how are things?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Yo, any updates?

Quick Reply: Gooch's-JDM B18C w/ JRSC+LHT build/issue thread