Notices

Garrett Airesearch Turbonetics size comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garrett Airesearch Turbonetics size comparison

While looking at turbos, I am having trouble telling a T3 from a T3/T4. I see pictures of both and the compressors look the same in comparison to the center housing.

Is the size of the compressor wheel the difference, or is the backplate always bigger too?

To someone more inexperienced, how do you tell if the compressor doesn't explicitly say T04e,b,s?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Airesearch Turbonetics size comparison

anyone have a guide to the letter and number stage designations of turines and compressors? H, V, 3, 5, etc mean nothing.

How does anyone get this stuff?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Airesearch Turbonetics size comparison

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
While looking at turbos, I am having trouble telling a T3 from a T3/T4. I see pictures of both and the compressors look the same in comparison to the center housing.

1. A T3 turbo is just what is tells you in the name it is a straight T3 turbo. That means it has a T3 based compressor and turbine.

2. A t3/t4 turbo is a hybrid between a t3 based turbine and t4 based compressor. Basicly think of it as a way to get more flow (t4 = larger compressor) while still taking advantage of the smaller turbine side of the T3. It allows smaller engines to make more usable power (ie: powerband) instead of the typical lag present in a straight T4 turbo.

3. the compressors are tricky if you have never had these in your hands and been able to look them up and down to visualize there differences. Here is a picture i think may help you.

In order T4 TO4S, T4 TO4E, straight t3

Is the size of the compressor wheel the difference, or is the backplate always bigger too?

The back plate is something that changes to accommodate the compressor wheel size. some times you will change the back plate when swapping in a larger wheel and sometime not it depends on what the flow requirements are. Also a back plate may be cast to the center section like on a T25 based turbo so for compressor wheel upgrades a back plate "spacer" is used to make up for the larger to4b covers used.

To someone more inexperienced, how do you tell if the compressor doesn't explicitly say T04e,b,s?
It is size based, look at my picture and it will give you a good idea as to how the sizes vary. the to4b is slightly larger then a straight t3 in my picture.

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
anyone have a guide to the letter and number stage designations of turines and compressors? H, V, 3, 5, etc mean nothing.

This is a good link to various sizes of turbo compressor wheels and turbine wheels just for reference.
http://www.fc3spro.com/TECH/TURBO/tmodels.html
How does anyone get this stuff?
Here is another picture to demonstrate the difference in turbine sizes in just the T3 family alone.

In order .48, .63, .82.