Notices

Flooding cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding cylinders?

So im running the V-AFC hack with Eclipse 450cc Blue Tops, and an Eclipse Resistor Pack. If it matters, also running Denso Iridium plugs and Magnecore Wires. I've got it all wired up and had it running before I detonated and destroyed the stock pistons. So I went back in and added ARP head studs, MLS head gasket, SRP 7.5:1 pistons, and Eagle Extra Duty Rods.

Anyhow, got the motor all back together and go to fire her up, and she just sits there and cranks. Checked the spark and its fine. Checked the fuel injector pules, and its fine as well. Fuel pump is fine, combustion is fine. But she doesnt seem to kick over. Figured it was possible the spark plugs were damaged from the detonation as well, so dropped in some split fires from a customers car. Pretty much the same results. So now we disconnect the pulse to the injectors to keep them from firing fuel in to the cylinders. We spray in starter fluid and kick it over. Son of a bitch starts up after a few attempts. So I figure the ignition is fine, and I know the fuel is shooting cause you can smell it when I hook the injectors back up and try again. Only thing I can think of, is the injectors are flooding the cylinder.

I currently have the V-AFC set to...
6 IN / 6 OUT
4 ^
71% / 72%
-39% across the board for lows and -38% across the board for highs

So what do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flooding cylinders? (StreetRacin101)

check out the timing on this motor, not sure about the flooding part though
Old 04-01-2004, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Flooding cylinders? (dynasty-x-motorsport)

Timing was checked twice, belt is properly set.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Any other ideas?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extremely close scenario to yours.... except non-turbo...
basic rebuild of b18a with srp 10.7:1 pistons, eagle rods, bearings, crower cams, skunk2 cam gears, supertech valvetrain.

I have come to the conclusion that it is flooding also, and has started but only after disconnecting the fuel injectors! wierd, huh? I will keep watchin this thread to see if you figure out the problem. (I have ordered replacement injectors [240cc saturated honda ones] as I think its possible I could have gotten dirt in the injectors while cleaning them... maybe)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:49 AM
HT White Ops

When you disconnected the injectors your engine should have started if it were flooding because there would have been so much extra gas in the cylinders. What also makes be doubt that its flooding is because after you disconnected the injectors and sprayed started fluid it started. So to me that seems that its not getting enough gas? If the injectors were flooding the cylinders there would be alot of gas in them. After diconnecting the injectors the engine should have eventually fired up long enough to burn the extra fuel in the cylinders? Thats of course if they are flooding like you say. Thats my thought but I could be wrong.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 AM
HT White Ops

When you disconnected the injectors your engine should have started if it were flooding because there would have been so much extra gas in the cylinders. What also makes be doubt that its flooding is because after you disconnected the injectors and sprayed started fluid it started. So to me that seems that its not getting enough gas? After trying to start the car several times and then disconnecting the injectors there would have been alot of gas in the cylinders. So when trying to start it after they were disconnected the engine should have fired up long enough to burn the extra fuel in the cylinders? Thats of course if they are flooding like you say. Thats my thought but I could be wrong.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flooding cylinders? (SD_Lurker)

that worked on my setup a few times, but not always...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Flooding cylinders? (SD_Lurker)

Injector Balance tester will give you the answer if any of your injectors are leaking and how much they are. Basically it will provide a voltage spike to each injector (pulse it) and at the same time you will have a fuel pressure guage on the rail and you will see how much pressure is bled out when each injector is pulsed. After each injector refill the rail by priming the ingition to get more accurate readings. Compare all four and they should be close to the same if not then see which injector is leaking or clogged..
At the same time you should be able to test the fuel press reg. to...