Notices

First turbo build questions/daily driver Gsr Swapped Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First turbo build questions/daily driver Gsr Swapped Civic

So as the title says this will be my first turbo setup and I also need this to be a reliable daily. I do know that by boosting my car I will also have to do more maintenance as well. Right now I'm driving a 96 Civic coupe with a bone stock gsr swap in it that has about 140k-170k miles on it. I have d2 racing coilovers and eBay lcas on my car at the moment and I have a chipped obd1 ecu. I also have an edelbrock performer x intake manifold, skunk 2 pro series intake manifold, dc sports header, Brian crower stage 2 cams (for na), mishimoto radiator, skunk2 pro series cam gears, buddy club spec 2 exhaust, and a type r trans that I have to replace the diff in. I'm looking to get 200-250whp nothing crazy and needs to be reliable for daily driving. Any input would be greatly appreciated I know I will probably need to lower the compression a bit and just need input and what all I should get to go with what I already have! Thanks!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First turbo build questions/daily driver Gsr Swapped Civic

Word of advice if this is your first turbo Honda build get another beater car to drive for when your car is down. Right now I have the most reliable turbocharged Honda I've ever owned and I still have another car for a backup even though I choose the boosted Honda 70% of the time.

For you power goal there is no reason to change your stock gsr at all. Don't lower the compression, don't swap the cams, bone stock is just fine for your goal. Just make sure you use quality components and take it to a competent tuner when it's ready. Start looking into tuning solutions too like hondata s300 or Neptune rtp are two cost effective options. Reading through the FAQ sticky at the top will answer almost all your questions. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your help and it's nice to know I don't necessarily need to open the motor up, but could you recommend some parts for me to get started with? I don't want to spend a ton of money but I don't wanna get eBay turbo kits either lol I know to have a reliable set up I'm gonna need good parts. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never used their kits but I have seen several very reputable guys on here say that Go-Autoworks B series kits are a great bang for the buck.

GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra D16 B16 B18
Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
I've never used their kits but I have seen several very reputable guys on here say that Go-Autoworks B series kits are a great bang for the buck.

GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits Honda Civic Acura Integra D16 B16 B18

This is true. But you must look at the options carefully, as there are many. From routing the wastegate dumptube (open tube is best) to exhaust manifold choice (avoid top mount please) to Intercooler choice (For this company, choose the larger surface area for more effectiveness), it can get rather confusing, and you can easily make the wrong choices. This is why we're saying to start learning in the FAQs first. You're not going to get a "quick list of the best parts" here. This forum is about information to obtain, not all given to you in one spoonful. Learning about how turbocharging works, and what you realistically are trying to achieve under 330whp is just the beginning.

Start checking those FAQs out. We took a lot of time to put those together just so someone like you could benefit from them. But get a cup of tea and some reading glasses, as this is going to take a while.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very true I think everyone should learn as much as they can they will need this information sooner or later. But if you call up greg he can guide you to a pretty damn decent setup based on your goals.

seriously start reading only you can decide what you want to do with your car, if your super lazy find a good build and replicate that